The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scotch experts

I agree no ice in scotch. But I will admit when I was first learning about scotch I would add a small splash. But as got used to the tastes it is no longer needed.
Still a very valid and needed approach to some Scotch. The Glenlivet Nadurra is in at 60.71% (it changes per expression because it is at cask strength) now that is 120+ proof. I like it after a very heavy meal, roast with all the trimmings and with a fine cigar ala @MntnMan62 but I will add a small splash of distilled to open it up and calm the beast a tad and open it up a bit.

There is a certain chemistry to the adding a drop of water. Which I totally forget now. I do remember that it's an actual chemical reaction that can be repeated by adding in another drop several times until whatever compound it is that changes is used up.

But the Lagavulin just calls my name over and over. It's delicious with a cigar. Frankly my ideal meal is steak. When I go to my favoirte steakhouse I always follow this course. I start with a Lagavulin 16 or two. Then an appetizer of either a wedge with tomato, bacon and blue cheese dressing or my new favorite, tomato, mozzarella drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive OIl and aged balsamic vinegar. My steak is a porterhouse (both NY Strip and Filet all in one) accompanied by sauteed mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts with bacon. To go with my steak I have to have a nice big red wine such as a Napa Cabernet, French Bordeaux, Chateneuf du Pape, Brunello di Montelcino, Barolo. Dessert is Affogato along with a nice double shot of espresso followed by a vintage port wine to finish the night off.
Amazing, simply amazing.

There is a certain chemistry to the adding a drop of water. Which I totally forget now. I do remember that it's an actual chemical reaction that can be repeated by adding in another drop several times until whatever compound it is that changes is used up.
Gimmicky perhaps but I like them and it’s what I use...a drop at a time.
89A1378E-C216-49AD-B83B-464A8FEF8C84.jpeg

Back