The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Scotch experts

Anyone who is "into" scotch will have their favorites and won't be afraid to tell you what they are. And I'll be doing the same. But you are starting very much the way lots of people start. I never was one for liking the brown liquors. I drank vodka almost exclusively. When I was about 14 or 15 I worked in a diner on Long Island and my friend who got me the job was good friends with the owner. We worked as busboys and when the night was over we would sit with the owner and have a beer or some other cocktail. I recall trying Dewars a couple times. I really didn't like it. But I do now. Not my favorite by a long shot. Years later, in my 30's I tried Chivas Regal and ended up really liking it. That got me started. I didn't then move to one of the more popular scotches like Johnny Walker or Glenlivet or Glennfiddich. I skipped to a scotch another friend suggested I try. Glenmorangie. It's just a nice 10 year old scotch. Smooth. Nothing overpowering. But a really enjoyable single malt from the Highland area of Scotland. Drank a few bottles of that and then started tasting as many single malts as I could. Macallan. Balvenie. Dalwhinnie. Glenkinchie. Laphroig. Oban. Talisker. Caol Ila. I also tried others like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and many more. As for the popular names like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, they have some nice scotches but you have to go with one of their limited releases. The Glenlivet Nadurra collection is really nice. Glenfiddich has 14 year bourbon barrel reserve single malt that is nice too. Any of the others I mentioned I highly recommend getting a bottle and tasting it. I would just buy a bottle of something I had heard was good and then drank the bottle. When it was done, I'd get something different. 25 years later I'm still doing the same thing. There was only one scotch that I just could not drink. My palette found it to be so disgusting I couldn't finish a glass of it. I tried several times and ended up giving it away to my neighbor. Ardbeg 10 Year Old. Some people love the stuff. Yuck says me. But, the one single malt scotch that I tried, then tried some others, then came back to it, tried even more, then came back to it, over and over again it proved to be the most incredible tasting scotch I've ever had and to this day is my absolute favorite. Lagavulin 16. It's not for everyone and might end up being an acquired taste because it's very peaty and smokey. Comes from the Islay section of Scotland which is known for its peaty smokey scotches. There are five sections. Highland. Islay. Lowland. Speyside. Campbeltown. I don't recall ever tasting something fro Campbeltown. But the Lagavulin just calls my name over and over. It's delicious with a cigar. Frankly my ideal meal is steak. When I go to my favoirte steakhouse I always follow this course. I start with a Lagavulin 16 or two. Then an appetizer of either a wedge with tomato, bacon and blue cheese dressing or my new favorite, tomato, mozzarella drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive OIl and aged balsamic vinegar. My steak is a porterhouse (both NY Strip and Filet all in one) accompanied by sauteed mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts with bacon. To go with my steak I have to have a nice big red wine such as a Napa Cabernet, French Bordeaux, Chateneuf du Pape, Brunello di Montelcino, Barolo. Dessert is Affogato along with a nice double shot of espresso followed by a vintage port wine to finish the night off. Anyway, I got waaaaaay off topic.

I'd say start with these as they are nice and smooth and won't break the bank (I don't think anyway):

Balvenie
Oban
Glenmorangie
Macallan

Then give the Lagavulin a try, if you think smokey and peaty might be appealing. Then try a bunch of others. Eventually you might find one that stands out from the rest as I have. There really are so many different single malts out there. This site provides a nice list of most of the brands out there. Then each brand has several or even many different options at all sorts of pricepoints. But generally speaking decent scotch will cost you anywher from a low of $40 on up. Lagavulin 16 runs about $90 these days. They have an 8 year that runs about $55 but I much prefer the 16. Lots of people will talk about Johnny Walker Blue. It's around $200 a bottle. And from my point of view, entire NOT worth it. Don't get me wrong. It's a nice smooth drinking scotch. It's a blend, but I'm not dinging it for that. There are some very nice scotch blends out there. But what I believe it lacks, and many a scotch fan has agreed with me, is character. It just doesn't have any. There's nothing there that's memorable. After you've had it you'll remember it as a nice smooth scotch but that'll be it. There is just so much more to scotch than smooth. Just like shaving, scotch is a journey to be enjoyed, savored and appreciated. Good luck and enjoy.

Anyone who is "into" scotch will have their favorites and won't be afraid to tell you what they are. And I'll be doing the same. But you are starting very much the way lots of people start. I never was one for liking the brown liquors. I drank vodka almost exclusively. When I was about 14 or 15 I worked in a diner on Long Island and my friend who got me the job was good friends with the owner. We worked as busboys and when the night was over we would sit with the owner and have a beer or some other cocktail. I recall trying Dewars a couple times. I really didn't like it. But I do now. Not my favorite by a long shot. Years later, in my 30's I tried Chivas Regal and ended up really liking it. That got me started. I didn't then move to one of the more popular scotches like Johnny Walker or Glenlivet or Glennfiddich. I skipped to a scotch another friend suggested I try. Glenmorangie. It's just a nice 10 year old scotch. Smooth. Nothing overpowering. But a really enjoyable single malt from the Highland area of Scotland. Drank a few bottles of that and then started tasting as many single malts as I could. Macallan. Balvenie. Dalwhinnie. Glenkinchie. Laphroig. Oban. Talisker. Caol Ila. I also tried others like Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, and many more. As for the popular names like Glenlivet and Glenfiddich, they have some nice scotches but you have to go with one of their limited releases. The Glenlivet Nadurra collection is really nice. Glenfiddich has 14 year bourbon barrel reserve single malt that is nice too. Any of the others I mentioned I highly recommend getting a bottle and tasting it. I would just buy a bottle of something I had heard was good and then drank the bottle. When it was done, I'd get something different. 25 years later I'm still doing the same thing. There was only one scotch that I just could not drink. My palette found it to be so disgusting I couldn't finish a glass of it. I tried several times and ended up giving it away to my neighbor. Ardbeg 10 Year Old. Some people love the stuff. Yuck says me. But, the one single malt scotch that I tried, then tried some others, then came back to it, tried even more, then came back to it, over and over again it proved to be the most incredible tasting scotch I've ever had and to this day is my absolute favorite. Lagavulin 16. It's not for everyone and might end up being an acquired taste because it's very peaty and smokey. Comes from the Islay section of Scotland which is known for its peaty smokey scotches. There are five sections. Highland. Islay. Lowland. Speyside. Campbeltown. I don't recall ever tasting something fro Campbeltown. But the Lagavulin just calls my name over and over. It's delicious with a cigar. Frankly my ideal meal is steak. When I go to my favoirte steakhouse I always follow this course. I start with a Lagavulin 16 or two. Then an appetizer of either a wedge with tomato, bacon and blue cheese dressing or my new favorite, tomato, mozzarella drizzled with Extra Virgin Olive OIl and aged balsamic vinegar. My steak is a porterhouse (both NY Strip and Filet all in one) accompanied by sauteed mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts with bacon. To go with my steak I have to have a nice big red wine such as a Napa Cabernet, French Bordeaux, Chateneuf du Pape, Brunello di Montelcino, Barolo. Dessert is Affogato along with a nice double shot of espresso followed by a vintage port wine to finish the night off. Anyway, I got waaaaaay off topic.

I'd say start with these as they are nice and smooth and won't break the bank (I don't think anyway):

Balvenie
Oban
Glenmorangie
Macallan

Then give the Lagavulin a try, if you think smokey and peaty might be appealing. Then try a bunch of others. Eventually you might find one that stands out from the rest as I have. There really are so many different single malts out there. This site provides a nice list of most of the brands out there. Then each brand has several or even many different options at all sorts of pricepoints. But generally speaking decent scotch will cost you anywher from a low of $40 on up. Lagavulin 16 runs about $90 these days. They have an 8 year that runs about $55 but I much prefer the 16. Lots of people will talk about Johnny Walker Blue. It's around $200 a bottle. And from my point of view, entire NOT worth it. Don't get me wrong. It's a nice smooth drinking scotch. It's a blend, but I'm not dinging it for that. There are some very nice scotch blends out there. But what I believe it lacks, and many a scotch fan has agreed with me, is character. It just doesn't have any. There's nothing there that's memorable. After you've had it you'll remember it as a nice smooth scotch but that'll be it. There is just so much more to scotch than smooth. Just like shaving, scotch is a journey to be enjoyed, savored and appreciated. Good luck and enjoy.
I have a Lagavulin 16 waiting on my GF 12 that is almost done Good advice here, except I like Ribeye just a bit more, LOL

Balvenie
Oban
Glenmorangie
Macallan

Seems to me we are fixing to have one seriously enjoyable "meet up" when all this silliness is over! Excellent read and advice. I love Ardbeg 10 but my favourite is Ardbeg Uigeadail completely not what you'd expect. Lagavulin 16 is fantastic. I am partial to Talisker. The comment on Glenlivet is sound I love their Master Distiller's Reserve and French Oak 15 year old but the Nadurra is in (mine anyway) at 120 proof. Me thinks that might blow @NurseDave wig off. Some distilled water to tame that one Dave...

You have refined tastes Sir...spot open at my bar anytime for you and @BarberDave but I always have a bottle of Blue and Platinum (Green when it comes around) on hand too but I truly like the blends because you can buy a lot of Scotch for that money and I do that too. You're in good hands Dave!!

Last edited:
I suppose there's no rush, but you know how it is with ADs. Having to buy a whole bottle to try each will take a loooooong time.

You nailed that one! Great selection of Highland Scotch. Sherry, Port, American Oak (Bourbon) and some rarer casks to show how finishing changes a single malt. You can pick the small bottles in JW also is you don't want to pony up for a full bottle. Now get a lovely set of Glencairn glasses and keep that ice outta there! :p. Enjoy Dave!

Lets keep this narrowed down to Scotch for now eh?

I agree no ice in scotch. But I will admit when I was first learning about scotch I would add a small splash. But as got used to the tastes it is no longer needed.

Back