The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Saponificio Verisino Brush Restoration

applied two coats of gun blue.
iu

The ferrule on my Saponificio Verisino brush came loose last week, so I did what any reasonably handy guy would do! I took it to my workbench!

First, I popped the ferrule off and determined the paint job to be a total loss. It’s been used for at least 100 shaves and some wear was to be expected. The paint was already peeling off, so the application of paint stripper took the thinly applied layer of remaining paint off super quickly.

View attachment 89285

View attachment 89284

Now, I’m trying to decide how to move forward. The cast ferrule is some sort of metal alloy, it has a lot of fine holes and light foundry marks and scratches. I’m inclined to:
  • Leave the finish as is, but buff it the best I can.
  • Restore the ferrule back to a near original brassy metal color.
  • Prime and then paint the ferrule a fun color like hunters orange or lime green.
  • Prime and paint the ferrule silver or gold.
  • Or something all together wild and crazy I’ve not thought of yet!
What would you do if it were yours?

Personally, I’m leaning toward priming and painting the ferrule HUNTERS ORANGE, but I’m going to sleep on it and decide later this week how to finish it out.
View attachment 89286

What it looked like when it was new, about two years ago:

View attachment 89290

@The Shaving Cadre Owners can we create a brush restoration section?
Nice skills Matt , thats a 👍 brush Sir! You're a Talented fellow. One day i hope to venture into scale making on straight razors. I will reach out to if i ever get all the equipment it takes. The only thing i have graduated to is honing, i really enjoy it, and its enough to keep me busy for now, when i think (in my own mind)i got things figured out a razor will come along and humble me, and show me different,lol, just kidding i have never thought i got it all figured out, and that's a place i dont ever what to have that kind of mindset.

**For the entire Cadre**
I don't get much time to post, ( i am up early this morning) but its been a while. Fellows just because i dont post much doesn't mean i am being snobbish, i really am by nature a loner I have been off put by certain other forums (not just shaving forums) because to many ('know it alls') egos. I do have some friends on certain forums just because the 40 apples are bad in the bushel doesnt mean the other 8 are bad as well. They start off by being helpful and nice but its only to tout there own ambitions, and their own so called expertise. In a nutshell they care nothing an helping know one, but all they care about is their own recognition. I am the opposite i want attention drawed away from me, not to be recognized, lol i want to stay this big👉 .
because little me, will gain more by staying little, knowledge is only gained if you're want to learn, its not gained if you think you already know everything.

Nice skills Matt , thats a 👍 brush Sir! You're a Talented fellow. One day i hope to venture into scale making on straight razors. I will reach out to if i ever get all the equipment it takes. The only thing i have graduated to is honing, i really enjoy it, and its enough to keep me busy for now, when i think (in my own mind)i got things figured out a razor will come along and humble me, and show me different,lol, just kidding i have never thought i got it all figured out, and that's a place i dont ever what to have that kind of mindset.

**For the entire Cadre**
I don't get much time to post, ( i am up early this morning) but its been a while. Fellows just because i dont post much doesn't mean i am being snobbish, i really am by nature a loner I have been off put by certain other forums (not just shaving forums) because to many ('know it alls') egos. I do have some friends on certain forums just because the 40 apples are bad in the bushel doesnt mean the other 8 are bad as well. They start off by being helpful and nice but its only to tout there own ambitions, and their own so called expertise. In a nutshell they care nothing an helping know one, but all they care about is their own recognition. I am the opposite i want attention drawed away from me, not to be recognized, lol i want to stay this big👉 .
because little me, will gain more by staying little, knowledge is only gained if you're want to learn, its not gained if you think you already know everything.
Mike
We hope you do not find that here. Regardless of how much time you can post of spend on here it is good to here you are liking and enjoying this place. If you ever find the items you mentioned above from anyone here, please let myself or the any of the other owners know, as we have pretty much a ZERO TOLERANCE on that type of behavior toward other members

**For the entire Cadre**
Thanks Mike! I’m no expert at anything I do and I’m always wanting to learn something new myself. You can make scales and loads of other things with very minimal tools. The only way I’ve made anything cool is by trying first. That’s all you have to do to get started and if you fail, oh well. There’s always next time and you won’t do it that way again.

Glad you’re here! I go through periods of posting a lot and others where I’m absent a week or more. Do not feel obligated to post all the time, you’re part of our group(cadre) we don’t judge you. We many joke and make some fun, but it’s all in good sport!

Thanks Mike! I’m no expert at anything I do and I’m always wanting to learn something new myself. You can make scales and loads of other things with very minimal tools. The only way I’ve made anything cool is by trying first. That’s all you have to do to get started and if you fail, oh well. There’s always next time and you won’t do it that way again.
Glad you’re here! I go through periods of posting a lot and others where I’m absent a week or more. Do not feel obligated to post all the time you’re part of our group(cadre) we don’t judge you. We many joke and make some fun, but it’s all in good sport!
I agree, thats the same mindset i have, you mess up and learn by your own mistakes. Pencils have erasers for a reason:)

Thanks, i appreciate that! Nah i dont worry being judged, i just wanted to let people know upfront i ain't got no ego. I can't stand to be around people that do. I have made lots of mistakes in life, and i reaped what i sowed and that (God) humbled me and brought me to show me I am just a ( little speck) 👉.

Of course i am game when it comes to having fun, im here ream me out, lol i left my feelings somewhere down the road, i dont wear them lol!

Mike
We hope you do not find that here. Regardless of how much time you can post of spend on here it is good to here you are liking and enjoying this place. If you ever find the items you mentioned above from anyone here, please let myself or the any of the other owners know, as we have pretty much a ZERO TOLERANCE on that type of behavior toward other members
Ah that's alright, lol Just let it roll of the back like the water rolls off of a duck. I don't taddel, i just ignore, but i am very rubberband manish though, i sometimes snap back if needed to, sometimes a feller needs to stand up for himself or what he believe. I strongly believe to just walk away(most of the time)but sometimes you ain't got no choice when someone knocks on your door .

I just really wanted to get the chance to get acquainted when you folks. I like it here, really! We all know how it is, out there! I just have learned if i don't feel welcome, i just shake the dust off my feet and stay away from those individuals. I ain't saying 'all folks' are that way elsewhere, but the ones that aint i can probably fit them in my house, lol and my house aint large. Painting with a broad brush towards those types of places, yes. But thats because the majority are butts, lol.

Oh - BTW have you did a video yet of showing how you load your brushes with talc? I seen Bill M use some kind of powder thingy.

Ah that's alright, lol Just let it roll of the back like the water rolls off of a duck. I don't taddel, i just ignore, but i am very rubberband manish though, i sometimes snap back if needed to, sometimes a feller needs to stand up for himself or what he believe. I strongly believe to just walk away(most of the time)but sometimes you ain't got no choice when someone knocks on your door .

I just really wanted to get the chance to get acquainted when you folks. I like it here, really! We all know how it is, out there! I just have learned if i don't feel welcome, i just shake the dust off my feet and stay away from those individuals. I ain't saying 'all folks' are that way elsewhere, but the ones that aint i can probably fit them in my house, lol and my house aint large. Painting with a broad brush towards those types of places, yes. But thats because the majority are butts, lol.

Oh - BTW have you did a video yet of showing how you load your brushes with talc? I seen Bill M use some kind of powder thingy.
For insight into the members here, also check out the journals. Lots of good folks here.

O
You are correct, however it is not taddling, we self police, and need all our members to identify "viruses" as we do not have moderators other than Chris, Chad and Myself as the ownership and a great staff of Concierge to assist members in navitgating the site, and you are also correct about "Out There" but it is not the same as "In Here" We are certainly not for everyone and in the past some have come in here as friends, when in actuality they have an agenda. Those are routed out pretty fast. As you you other question I did the G5C video today, and will do a talc load video tomorrow if I can. to assist

Since you did such an awesome job on yours, want to do another one? :p

I am extremely disappointed with my SV brush to be honest. Besides the ring being so far off like I mentioned before, mine has come apart now also.
I have a whipped dog brush that although it lacks the backbone because it isn't quite as dense of a knot, it has the same gel tips, same soft feel, had no flaws at all, has at least 6 years and 50 times more use, and cost me $200 less.
In my experience they are an over-hyped brush.

Since you did such an awesome job on yours, want to do another one? :p

I am extremely disappointed with my SV brush to be honest. Besides the ring being so far off like I mentioned before, mine has come apart now also.
I have a whipped dog brush that although it lacks the backbone because it isn't quite as dense of a knot, it has the same gel tips, same soft feel, had no flaws at all, has at least 6 years and 50 times more use, and cost me $200 less.
In my experience they are an over-hyped brush.l
Well , Shawn, I agree there were definitley Quality Control issues that was determined to be a glue and tolerance issue, however we did ask for anyone who had issues to report, and when we contracted for a one off please remember they had never, nor since did a bespoke brush. I am not defending , as we all know I have issues with SV on a multitude of levels. I would say however, that you have a piece of the cadre that is one of a kind. And I hope you will agree, and we appreciate your comments

Well , Shawn, I agree there were definitley Quality Control issues that was determined to be a glue and tolerance issue, however we did ask for anyone who had issues to report, and when we contracted for a one off please remember they had never, nor since did a bespoke brush. I am not defending , as we all know I have issues with SV on a multitude of levels. I would say however, that you have a piece of the cadre that is one of a kind. And I hope you will agree, and we appreciate your comments
I realize they had never done a one off, but the only thing really is the ring. From what I have seen (although I could have missed things, that has definitely happened before) they basically have one brush you just get to pick a color. They should have the assembly part pretty much worked out by now.
As far as reporting the flaws, if I saw that when we got them, I figured I could deal with the offset for what it was. If the glue was an issue (which I did miss)it wouldn't have mattered if I traded one for the offset or not.

I actually felt a bit bad after I made that post because I know how hard you guys worked to get those made for us. That is what I felt I was buying into without hesitation. Even though at that time things weren't the best for me, you guys always have been. I wanted to keep being a part of that.

On the same hand though, that is what irritated me most about it coming apart.

I am going to check on getting it fixed because of what it stands for. I was just ranting about such an expensive cookie cutter product not being up to par fueled on by it happening to something that represents so much to me.

2-23.Matt's SV Ferrule Fix.560..jpeg

My first thought was to paint the ferrule hunters orange, but I thought a more classic look would be nice too. I started by polishing it on my bench buffers with emory and stainless steel. Then I washed it really well and cleaned it with denatured alcohol and applied two coats of gun blue. Lastly I buffed it with 00 steel wool and then lightly buffed the blue off of the raised lettering for an antiqued pewter look.

⬆︎Very special brush⬆︎

Great job of it, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Back