The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Saponificio Verisino Brush Restoration

Luecke3262

“I am the Grail Razor Hunter”
Hobbyist
The ferrule on my Saponificio Verisino brush came loose last week, so I did what any reasonably handy guy would do! I took it to my workbench!

First, I popped the ferrule off and determined the paint job to be a total loss. It’s been used for at least 100 shaves and some wear was to be expected. The paint was already peeling off, so the application of paint stripper took the thinly applied layer of remaining paint off super quickly.

F01610F8-E797-43D6-8417-7BCF65D2937C.jpeg

92461CF1-C659-4C2C-94A8-D827F8E9186D.jpeg

Now, I’m trying to decide how to move forward. The cast ferrule is some sort of metal alloy, it has a lot of fine holes and light foundry marks and scratches. I’m inclined to:
  • Leave the finish as is, but buff it the best I can.
  • Restore the ferrule back to a near original brassy metal color.
  • Prime and then paint the ferrule a fun color like hunters orange or lime green.
  • Prime and paint the ferrule silver or gold.
  • Or something all together wild and crazy I’ve not thought of yet!
What would you do if it were yours?

Personally, I’m leaning toward priming and painting the ferrule HUNTERS ORANGE, but I’m going to sleep on it and decide later this week how to finish it out.
D5A09A1D-F34F-497F-AB42-B130C64D91AC.jpeg

What it looked like when it was new, about two years ago:

B9630F7E-9236-4B59-B556-D10F6CA154E9.jpeg

@The Shaving Cadre Owners can we create a brush restoration section?

The ferrule on my Saponificio Verisino brush came loose last week, so I did what any reasonably handy guy would do! I took it to my workbench!

First, I popped the ferrule off and determined the paint job to be a total loss. It’s been used for at least 100 shaves and some wear was to be expected. The paint was already peeling off, so the application of paint stripper took the thinly applied layer of remaining paint off super quickly.

View attachment 89285

View attachment 89284

Now, I’m trying to decide how to move forward. The cast ferrule is some sort of metal alloy, it has a lot of fine holes and light foundry marks and scratches. I’m inclined to:
  • Leave the finish as is, but buff it the best I can.
  • Restore the ferrule back to a near original brassy metal color.
  • Prime and then paint the ferrule a fun color like hunters orange or lime green.
  • Prime and paint the ferrule silver or gold.
  • Or something all together wild and crazy I’ve not thought of yet!
What would you do if it were yours?

Personally, I’m leaning toward priming and painting the ferrule HUNTERS ORANGE, but I’m going to sleep on it and decide later this week how to finish it out.
View attachment 89286

What it looked like when it was new, about two years ago:

View attachment 89290

@The Shaving Cadre Owners can we create a brush restoration section?
Just start a restoration thread in This forum header

7-23-22.SV.Tortoise.Cocobolo.Horn.3.640.JPG

I love my three SV brushes, but have recently discovered them crying out in unison for a big brother. Isn't your brush larger than the standard SV 2.0 brushes? I think it is. If not, they won't know the difference.

Pewter restoration is not something that I know anything whatsoever about, but I'm rather expert at disposing of or otherwise dealing with damaged brushes and undesirable brushes particularly when they're brushes such as these. In other words I will contract to take the brush off your hands, and maybe or maybe not fix it, and maybe or maybe not return it to you.

I realize what a generous and fine person I am in making such a sacrifice.

Happy shaves,

Jim

SV Pewter Crown. Not Mine.640.jpeg

Assuming this is yours and it's the cleaned up pewter without any paint (just natural pewter whatever that means), and assuming you know how to put it back on and properly glue it into place, that's what I'd do if I were you. Unless of course there's some reason actual pewter needs to be painted.

You shouldn't pay any attention to me though unless you need my mailing address.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Same happened to mine. Sad to see a company that produces higher end products seemed to have just tossed these out without much effort.
Mine hasn't come apart yet, but I was disappointed with how far off center the ferrule was. Over a sixteenth of an inch overhang on one side. Not what I expected with the praise they get.

My first thought was to paint the ferrule hunters orange, but I thought a more classic look would be nice too. I started by polishing it on my bench buffers with emory and stainless steel. Then I washed it really well and cleaned it with denatured alcohol and applied two coats of gun blue. Lastly I buffed it with 00 steel wool and then lightly buffed the blue off of the raised lettering for an antiqued pewter look. @Chan Eil Whiskers & @Michael Phillip i chose your idea!

A5AA9C17-6613-481F-9203-9AF4D91D5827.jpeg8BBB6B3B-5D3C-4146-A486-C1FD6E38D9F9.jpeg84644CF1-397E-4CA9-83B2-2909B1228330.jpeg1BFBD349-F42F-4EC1-8983-68E55DF227E8.jpeg

That looks better than new, very well done Matt. Great job.

That Luecke's awesome, Matt!
View attachment 90498

Very nice work!

Stunning! Looks great!

Looks great! Nice job!

SV needs to take your lead!

Well damn…I really like the way that looks
Thanks guys, it was definitely one of my easier projects as of late, but very satisfying to see the transformation. I'm looking forward to using it again!

Back