The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Running

Holbach

Jr. Shave Member
Didn’t see a thread related to this. Let’s talk running. Post your run for the day, talk about running (shoes, clothes, etc), how to start running and how to improve. I’d love to get some discussion around my favorite activity.

Little background and maybe inspiration: I used to weigh over 260 pounds. Over time with dieting and running, I’ve reduced to 162 pounds. Running played a big part in that and I advocate for it to anyone who is interested.

With that, let’s chat about running.

I am not a fan of long distance running. But as a football and basketball referee I log some serious mileage.

No sir no bragging indeed!

My last football game was between two passing teams. According to mr Fitbit I ran 9.5 miles that game.

No sir no bragging indeed!

My last football game was between two passing teams. According to mr Fitbit I ran 9.5 miles that game.
Wow that’s impressive. Recently I haven’t been running that much in a week lol. Figured refs ran a lot but didn’t expect that much.

Hold on a minute while I run to the fridge for a drink...
...I’ve never been able to run, although the idea of being able to enjoy it has always intrigued me. For me it started with being a fat kid with asthma (or a simple inability to coordinate breathing and any sort of running. I was able to play and ride bikes, just not run. Eventually it was just that I couldn’t run and didn’t enjoy trying. I’ve ridden my bike long distances and hiked stupid mountains (mt Baden Powell I’m lookin at you buddy) but just not a runner.

If I recall correctly @Brew is who enjoys the occasional run along with other good physical activity.

I'm out there 3 mornings a week (3-5 miles), but if eight and a half minute miles is running, I'm doing something a bit more leisurely . . . .

Every other morning I mix in some weights at the gym and a 30 minute swim.

Saturdays I eat Twinkies.

Funny you post this thread now! I have been wanting to increase my cardio lately. I was doing some spin classes but they just got inconvenient. So I was going to start running again. A million years ago I was in the Marine Corps so running is no stranger to me. So I downloaded one of those couch to 5k apps on the phone and on Tuesday ran (well...what I call running anyway) almost 2 miles. Not really anything to brag about. Anyway, here is where my problem lies. My calves have always been tight after my ankle surgery back in 2008. So I stretch a lot. But after that run...my calf muscles are like guitar strings! Even today...they are super tight. Tight to the point that I am walking with a limp. Stretching and heat seem to work a little...but man they are bad. Anyway...I'll give a go again Next week.

Funny you post this thread now! I have been wanting to increase my cardio lately. I was doing some spin classes but they just got inconvenient. So I was going to start running again. A million years ago I was in the Marine Corps so running is no stranger to me. So I downloaded one of those couch to 5k apps on the phone and on Tuesday ran (well...what I call running anyway) almost 2 miles. Not really anything to brag about. Anyway, here is where my problem lies. My calves have always been tight after my ankle surgery back in 2008. So I stretch a lot. But after that run...my calf muscles are like guitar strings! Even today...they are super tight. Tight to the point that I am walking with a limp. Stretching and heat seem to work a little...but man they are bad. Anyway...I'll give a go again Next week.
Ease into it big guy ! Start with Twinkies.... I actually applaud you guys. With my joints running is a no go......

tenor (10).gif

I dont work out anymore. I just work. My body hurts enough after that I dont want to add to it when I'm done.
Although, running wasnt ever good for me as my knee joints aren't right. Even as far back as grade school. I did put many many miles on a bicycle in my youth though.

Back