The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rumour is that Somnos is thinking about straights

My advise FWIW

Feather SS, feel of a real one, safety of a DE blade length that is closer to a real straight. Personally I think Shavettes require the most skill so if you are doing it in order

Feather SS
Feather DX
Regular straight ( and learn to shave 1st worry about maintenance and honing after at least 100 shaves so buy two one being used one being hones
Shavette

Also do your 1st pass with a DE for the 1st 5-10 shaves

I think I understand what you are getting at here, but just to be clear for others..... do you mean to use the straight for the 1st pass only, and then finish with a DE........

I think I understand what you are getting at here, but just to be clear for others..... do you mean to use the straight for the 1st pass only, and then finish with a DE........
Wondered the same as I used the straight 1st and finish with the de which I preferred

My advise FWIW

Feather SS, feel of a real one, safety of a DE blade length that is closer to a real straight. Personally I think Shavettes require the most skill so if you are doing it in order

Feather SS
Feather DX
Regular straight ( and learn to shave 1st worry about maintenance and honing after at least 100 shaves so buy two one being used one being hones
Shavette

Buy two? Oh you aren't helping AT ALL!!!! 😈

Man I have to say that I love this place because no where else has there been such an animated and informative thread ever been "created" in my honour...thanks @woodpusher for the coffee, PIF and of course taking my simple question and turning into free-for-all of enablers-r-us...I'll be sure to send you the bill when I lop off an ear...😳

My advise FWIW

Feather SS
Feather DX
I forgot about the DX. For those using the SS, do you think we would feel much difference with the DX?

I forgot about the DX. For those using the SS, do you think we would feel much difference with the DX?
From what I've read, yes. Not sure it's worth the extra to me. The DX is heavier and angle is more akin to a standard straight and less forgiving than the SS from my research.

From what I've read, yes. Not sure it's worth the extra to me. The DX is heavier and angle is more akin to a standard straight and less forgiving than the SS from my research.
This, I’d say. The DX doesn’t have the lip near the blade that the SS has. The cost difference is quite hefty, but the wood scale one does look pretty nice.

For someone getting started I would recommend a true traditional straight over a feather system or similar shavette. A true straight will tend to fit better in hand and feel better on the skin. There are different grinds and sizes that will change the feel but a basic rounded toe 5/8 hollow ground is hard to beat. I also recommend searching for and eventually getting a good quality Weck Sextoblade, preferably one with a smooth bar safety attachment. A sextoblade with guard will do two things. First, it will provide an unquestionably sharp edge when you want it, eliminating the whole "is my shave going poorly because I have somehow made my edge dull?" worry. Second, the guard will help train the proper angle and provide just enough protection from ouches to keep you interested. Take that guard off and ouches are VERY possible.

There is no reason you wouldn't be able to keep a properly honed blade in good shaving condition with just a leather strop and some homemade pasted balsa strops. You can also buy a pasted balsa set up from Whipped Dog along with a razor that is definitely sharp.

I vehemently oppose the idea that someone new to open blade shaving start with a DE blade shavette.

yes and sorry for the confusion.

For someone getting started I would recommend a true traditional straight over a feather system or similar shavette. A true straight will tend to fit better in hand and feel better on the skin. There are different grinds and sizes that will change the feel but a basic rounded toe 5/8 hollow ground is hard to beat. I also recommend searching for and eventually getting a good quality Weck Sextoblade, preferably one with a smooth bar safety attachment. A sextoblade with guard will do two things. First, it will provide an unquestionably sharp edge when you want it, eliminating the whole "is my shave going poorly because I have somehow made my edge dull?" worry. Second, the guard will help train the proper angle and provide just enough protection from ouches to keep you interested. Take that guard off and ouches are VERY possible.

There is no reason you wouldn't be able to keep a properly honed blade in good shaving condition with just a leather strop and some homemade pasted balsa strops. You can also buy a pasted balsa set up from Whipped Dog along with a razor that is definitely sharp.

I vehemently oppose the idea that someone new to open blade shaving start with a DE blade shavette.
The feather is not in the same ballpark as the DE Shavette, and I agree wholeheartedly on that, but to me getting the "process" down in more important than dulling a blade with a bad stropping. That being said all of us have different systems, you need to find the one that fits you, time you are willing to spend learning, and so forth. If you only have 5 minutes to shave don'e even go down the path, as you will bleed..... well you will bleed anyway, but less, LOL Good Luck

Thank you Sir for your advice and insight.

Back