The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Re-scale of Hess Hair Milk Laboratories 44

Those scales are really beautiful Craig! The razor is certainly coming together!

That's giving me a headache just thinking of trying to get all that together Craig! I don't do well with tiny parts. That looks absolutely gorgeous though!

Fantastic! A pair of mother of pearl Handled Colts slung on you and you’ll be complete!

Looking good but I'm with Shawn when it comes to tiny parts and getting them assembled. Most would end up dropped and rolled under furniture etc never to be found again.

Those scales are really beautiful Craig! The razor is certainly coming together!
Thanks Don!
That's giving me a headache just thinking of trying to get all that together Craig! I don't do well with tiny parts. That looks absolutely gorgeous though!
Thanks Shawn! Yeah my big hands and small parts make it challenging for sure!
Fantastic! A pair of mother of pearl Handled Colts slung on you and you’ll be complete!
I accept all donations Chris!
most excellent Craig!! That will be a stunner when you're done with it!
Thanks Josh!
Looking good but I'm with Shawn when it comes to tiny parts and getting them assembled. Most would end up dropped and rolled under furniture etc never to be found again.
Thanks Dave! I don't remember saying I didn't drop any parts. I don't keep count of the number of times I've been on the floor with a flashlight. I'm still missing one dropped washer! That's why I buy in packs of 100.

FYI to anyone doing this in the future, if you are making a spacer for the 3rd pin, be sure to have it cut / sanded as square as possible. When I test fitted everything I discovered this made a difference. I also recommend getting some #0 screws and nuts to put everything together and check fit etc. before pinning.

Fun! I’ve done one rescale with scales that I made. Lots of time involved, but very rewarding. Looks great!

That is a great idea with the machine screws. Everything is looking good.

Pinning finished and razor honed. ALL DONE!

This is the before picture.

This is what one looked like new.

And here is the finished re-scaled restored razor!

Wow, well done! My pining looks like a monkey went at it with a sledgehammer.... gorgeous results!

Wow, well done! My pining looks like a monkey went at it with a sledgehammer.... gorgeous results!
Thanks Matt! The only advice I can give on pinning is to go slow and use a jeweler's hammer. I use a 4oz. I bascily just let the weight of the hammer do the work. Also I think it helps to have a smooth surface to pin on. I use a Beadaholique Solid Metal Bench Block. I got a couple of carbide bits and had the machinist at work drill the holes for me (this metal is HARD! and I wanted to be they were straight). 1 of each size is only about 3/8" deep the others are all the way through for de-pinning. I put the pin in that hole and pin the 1st side. Then flip it, cut it to length, file flat, and pin that side with the 1st side resting on the smooth surface.

The wedge end pin looks like it is about 3 thousands off of center.
1f61d.png

Awesome job Craig! It looks very good!

Back