The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Re-scale of Hess Hair Milk Laboratories 44

clyde72

Almond Milk Lattes are my POWER
Legacy
This is another of the straight razors that I acquired in an Estate Auction. As you can see the razor itself doesn't really need an restoration other than honing. At some point and time this razor has been re-scalled with some cheap generic plastic scales. It doesn't come anywhere near close to closing centered.

I'll be posting pictures as I progress on this project.

A little research found out some more about the name Hess Hair Milk Laboratories:

The whole story behind the Hair Milk name is that back in 1910 the owner and founder came up with the idea for a product that got rid of gray hair, so he and a couple other barbers began to come up with some formulas and they came up with a product that looked like milk... hence the name. At some point and time they had razors made for them by Dovo (the 35) and maybe others. I've not been able to find out who might have made the 44 or when it was made yet.

Here is a few pictures of original scales 44's that I found.

I'm going to base my scales on this.

I decided to some Kirinite White MOP, which is an acrylic.

Here are a couple of shots after I cut out the scales, drilled the pin holes and did some rough sanding on them.

Awesome project. I think you picked a nice color to make the scales out of!

Can't wait to see it done. The originals look really nice.

Dagwoodz said:
Looking forward to how this comes out, Craig. Should look great!

Thanks Josh!

Cvargo said:
Awesome project. I think you picked a nice color to make the scales out of!

Thanks Chad!

NurseDave said:
Can't wait to see it done. The originals look really nice.

Thanks Dave!

I like the scales. What are you going to make the wedge out of?

That's a beautiful find Craig! The new scale material looks perfect.

Quijote said:
I like the scales. What are you going to make the wedge out of?

Thanks Don!
Maybe brass, if I use brass pins. Not 100% sure yet.

Smattayu said:
That's a beautiful find Craig! The new scale material looks perfect.

Thanks Eric!

I'm going to do my best to provide progress pictures. Sometimes I get caught up in the work and forget to take pictures along the way.

I spent as much time as my hands and arms would allow me to, doing some more sanding on the scales.

I've got the rough shape pretty much where I want it. I might do just a little more refining when I then the thickness I want.
I used 100 grit sandpaper to do this stage of the sanding. I still have to put a chamfer on the edge, but that will not be done till I get the shape and thickness just like I want it.

Here you can see I've got the left side down to the thickness that I want. I've done some sanding on the right, but still have a ways to go. My hands and arms are just done for the day. The line is where the two halves are taped together, so one scale is on the right, the other on the left.

Looking great. This thread will prove very useful to those considering doing a re-scale of their own.

CBLindsay said:
Looking great. This thread will prove very useful to those considering doing a re-scale of their own.

Thanks Chad! Hopefully so!

Great job so far Craig! What have you been using to tape the scales together?

Nice work. The original scales look so much better than the plastic ones that were on it when you picked it up. Your new scales and going to make it look a lot closer to its original glory.

Why did it close so off-center? I've never done any restoration work, but I'm guessing that with the new scales and new pinning that will cease to be a problem?

kingfisher said:
Nice work. The original scales look so much better than the plastic ones that were on it when you picked it up. Your new scales and going to make it look a lot closer to its original glory.

Why did it close so off-center? I've never done any restoration work, but I'm guessing that with the new scales and new pinning that will cease to be a problem?

Thanks Randal!
As to the off centerness that could have been caused by the scales warping, the holes in the scales not lining up to start with or a bent hinge pin. And yes if I do everything correctly that will be corrected.

Sorry for the late post, but I just joined. I think I'm going to like it here because the Hess is my favorite straight razor and very underrated by many. I'm very interested in seeing the end results.

Back