The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Razor Sharpening with Convexed Hones

Bill M

"Gentleman Shaver Bill"
Hobbyist
As an early adopter of straight razor sharpening using hones shaped to elliptically convexed surfaces, I wish to document some of the gear and methods that I have found favor with.

This has to do with my experiences and journey. In no way should anything I do be interpreted as being in opposition of other methods others find successful for themselves.

Here on TSC I know of a few who also have their own parallel experiences. I specifically mention in my video one gentleman @JPO who inspired me by his own achievements and having published elsewhere the English translation of a 19th century German grinders handbook.

If I may, I’d like to dedicate my information sharing to Jarrod Connerty who revived this practice and has made efforts to make these ancient methods available to common folk such as myself.

I’d also like to thank the owners and many friends I’ve made here at The Cadre who have made me feel comfortable enough to share this information.

Episode I - sharing some history and my future plans.

Some new stuff showed up for my project.

Diamond emulsions
Balsa blocks
Horsehide

831C17D7-B484-4A5E-A929-562AA7882AF5.jpeg

Got the new blocks shaped, sanded and the emulsions sprayed on.

Did 3 razors.

Worked with the low cost water stones trying to find low cost low labor alternatives that I could give my recommendation to. They cut fast but seemed to be more prone to cause a chipout after they burnished in some. I need to work with some different grits of sandpaper and see what happens.

The 10k in finishing is a little needy IMO. Adding the N12kSS reduced the time needed on abrasive balsa but lacks the polish of an Arkansas step.

AAA63903-D7E9-481E-A72B-2F73F2B2E242.jpeg

I’m concluding that the performance of these diamond sprays is close enough to the performance of cBN that most would never see it.

The real star of the show today was the horsehide strop. Roo is good but this is amazing! I don’t know if I could ever get the same performance on a hanging piece.

I could distinguish between the razors in test shaving, but none were less than delightful.

Very nice. Pretty cool

I have a ~5x2 convex leather strop with .1u iirc. I wish it was a 7x2 and way taller. I need to add some foam to add height.

My convexed hones are way less convexed from visual compared to yours.

Very nice. Pretty cool

I have a ~5x2 convex leather strop with .1u iirc. I wish it was a 7x2 and way taller. I need to add some foam to add height.

My convexed hones are way less convexed from visual compared to yours.
Everything was shaped on the TSS plate with ellipse based on approx 12’ & 3’ radius with plate dimensions at 9x11 = full size sandpaper.

Using the short axis on 2x3x12 balsa requires it be done in sections and blended. I used a power sander for bulk removal and finished on the plate. Animal skins are secured with adhesive foam, which seems to provide the ideal “give” with horsehide and balsa.

The Sharpening Supplies brand stones are good for backbeveling shaped at the short axis. They are finicky in apex finishing on the long axis compared to Naniwa SS or Arkansas.

Some new stuff showed up for my project.

Diamond emulsions
Balsa blocks
Horsehide

View attachment 74527

Got the new blocks shaped, sanded and the emulsions sprayed on.

Did 3 razors.

Worked with the low cost water stones trying to find low cost low labor alternatives that I could give my recommendation to. They cut fast but seemed to be more prone to cause a chipout after they burnished in some. I need to work with some different grits of sandpaper and see what happens.

The 10k in finishing is a little needy IMO. Adding the N12kSS reduced the time needed on abrasive balsa but lacks the polish of an Arkansas step.

View attachment 74529

I’m concluding that the performance of these diamond sprays is close enough to the performance of cBN that most would never see it.

The real star of the show today was the horsehide strop. Roo is good but this is amazing! I don’t know if I could ever get the same performance on a hanging piece.

I could distinguish between the razors in test shaving, but none were less than delightful.
I hone most of my razors on convex stone or a combination of convex and flat stones in one progression. I still strop on hanging leather strops. I have considered making curved strops of balsa and leather, but i just love the traditional hanging strop for convenience, and because i like the process. Have you done any side by side testing where you finish two quite similar razors on convex stones, but you strop on flat balsa and hanging leather on one razor and compare it to the curved setup?

I hone most of my razors on convex stone or a combination of convex and flat stones in one progression. I still strop on hanging leather strops. I have considered making curved strops of balsa and leather, but i just love the traditional hanging strop for convenience, and because i like the process. Have you done any side by side testing where you finish two quite similar razors on convex stones, but you strop on flat balsa and hanging leather on one razor and compare it to the curved setup?
I rely on my packing peanut test to evaluate my edge. While still a subjective test, I find repeatability and a correlation to my actual shaves.

I can see differences from grit changes on strops and stones.

I also see a difference in stropping. My old practice was to use a hanging stop immediately before shaving until I checked the razor with the foam peanut and thought the edge had been better off the convex strop. After going back to the convex strop the edge was restored. I’ve tried to adjust my stropping technique with hanging but am failing to get the same results as with the mounted strop. My particular stropping technique may not be as good as others so I can only make this claim for myself.

I used to use only flattened balsa and hanging strops. All my balsa is shaped now. My changeover started with one and gradually increased.

I rely on my packing peanut test to evaluate my edge. While still a subjective test, I find repeatability and a correlation to my actual shaves.

I can see differences from grit changes on strops and stones.

I also see a difference in stropping. My old practice was to use a hanging stop immediately before shaving until I checked the razor with the foam peanut and thought the edge had been better off the convex strop. After going back to the convex strop the edge was restored. I’ve tried to adjust my stropping technique with hanging but am failing to get the same results as with the mounted strop. My particular stropping technique may not be as good as others so I can only make this claim for myself.

I used to use only flattened balsa and hanging strops. All my balsa is shaped now. My changeover started with one and gradually increased.
I had forgotten about the famous Bill M packing peanut test for edge sharpness:) Seems like a really nice consistent test. I need to try that.
Now i need to get some supplies. Hopefully they will include packing peanuts:)

I liked the tomato skin or grape test until one day, there were none to be found. Packing peanut evaluations were born on that day out of desperation.

I can’t imagine it being widely accepted.
😎

Reactions: JPO
I liked the tomato skin or grape test until one day, there were none to be found. Packing peanut evaluations were born on that day out of desperation.

I can’t imagine it being widely accepted.
😎
Big paradigm shifts does take time:) You may need to be accepted by the honing gods first.

This is confusing to me.. wasn't TSS describing a much larger radius when he began this side quest?
He described it as a diameter.
25’ on the log dimension
6.5’ on the short dimension
I’ll have to accept responsibility for the confusion since the choice to use radius was mine. Sorry.

He described it as a diameter.
25’ on the log dimension
6.5’ on the short dimension
I’ll have to accept responsibility for the confusion since the choice to use radius was mine. Sorry.

Hmm.. On reflection, i am pretty sure i based my convexity on a circle using the telescope lens grinding method which is causing my confusion.

Had it not been for the availability of a hone shaping plate, I might have a another use of my straights.

I don’t think I’d have the drive to fashion shapes for myself as you and others have. I applaud your initiative.

Had it not been for the availability of a hone shaping plate, I might have a another use of my straights.

I don’t think I’d have the drive to fashion shapes for myself as you and others have. I applaud your initiative.
It was an interesting experience and i was very curious and had lots of time. I dont think i’d do it again, lol.

For those going to TSC Con who are interested in the use of convex honing gear.

Also information for those interested in a drawing for a free hone shaping plate like the one I use.

Post in thread 'Bill TV'
Bill TV

Back