The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Today’s Shave

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Plain Vanilla
Scuttle: none
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Gold Dollar SR
Blade: none
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Boar
Soap: MWF

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Dickenson Witch Hazel
AS: Avon Clint

The Deets-
Greetings and salutations friends and neighbors! And apologies @Luecke3262 for my extended absence. Sam, thanks for checking on me! Time truly got away from me. Rocking the tallow Fat, because that’s what I have and it’s the last puck. I didn’t hoard when the craziness started (trying to make Sam proud). Not sure what I think about the palm soaps, so I probably won’t buy the new version. Is that the same palm kinda stuff that they deforest for and kill the orange primates to grow?

Anyway, working an unassuming setup this weekend. A fun three pass shave was had leaving me BBS for the win! And I think Avon Clint is just a timeless scent. A heavy splash of that and everything was right as rain! Life is good!

Home Front-
Things have been crazy busy at work … still. My team at work is short staffed and we are told to work harder/do more. As part of my “professional development”, I am studying cyber security stuff in my spare time. Not needed for my current position, just expanding my horizons.

Oh and we had a water leak that has not been fun. It was a slow leak, so kitchen gutted and damaged wood replaced. Kitchen is still a work in progress.

IMG_9558.jpeg

IMG_9559.jpeg

IMG_9568.jpeg

IMG_9573.jpeg

Today’s Shave

Pre Shave-
Scuttle: Georgetown Pottery
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Solingen SR
Soap: Stirling Triumph

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Dickenson Witch Hazel
AS: Stirling Triumph

The Deets-
Brrrrr, it’s cold down here so time to break out the scuttle. For the past week, I’ve been rocking the Triumph trying to knock this set out. I am close, so we shall see. A fantastic hot shave was had today … so nice! Went with my standard shave and walked away BBS for the win! Life is good!

Home Front-
It’s cold … and there is white crap on the ground.

IMG_9605.png
The kitchen is still down. They brought in new cabinets, put in the floor and painted. For the last two weeks, they have claimed they were coming back to finish, but have missed every deliverable. Hopefully our kitchen will be back together soon.

IMG_9578.jpeg

IMG_9616.jpeg
Today’s Shave

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Collings SR
Brush: Shavemac Beehive
Soap: Ethos Succes

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Dickenson Witch Hazel
AS: Ethos Succes

The Deets-

Rocking this setup this week. And the kitchen is back together … finally. Life is good!

IMG_9617.jpeg

Today’s Shave

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Notovan
Scuttle: GP
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Shumates Barber SR
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts Badger
Soap: SV Felce Aromatica

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Dickenson Witch Hazel
AS: SV Felce Aromatica

The Deets-
I ran the same soap and aftershave this weekend. Saturday I used a Gillette red tip and back to a straight on Sunday. Had a glorious BBS with the red tip, but just missed the mark with the SR. The Shumate was a bit tuggy and missed a small spot under the chin. That one will be set aside for a refresh. In spite of that, the AS brought everything together.

It’s funny how we cycle through phases. I jumped into traditional shaving collecting all manner of things, like some of us do. I then struggled with the sheer volume of “stuff” and then start downsizing. I have reduced my DE and SR collections down to maintainable levels. Not bare minimum, but maintainable levels. I have a few scuttles that are on my list to part with too.

My biggest struggle has been with soaps and aftershaves. I find my tastes are still changing in the soap/AS area. I think I can pair things down to 5 soaps that I would like to keep on hand. Stirling Unscented with Beeswax will replace my tallow MWF once it’s gone. That one gives me wiggle room for aftershave’s without a matching soap. I haven’t bought anything in some time and I am just trying to use up what’s on hand. But … the soaps are plotting against me, they have become really slow to use up. What’s up with that?

Apologies for the rambling. TLDR; Life is good!

Home Front-
Ok, since you read this far. The past two weekends, the missus and I have gone through and decluttered a bunch of stuff in the kitchen area. We have been slowly working through the entire house and still have a bit to go. But I was surprised by the volume of stuff in the kitchen that we got rid of. That was one big trip to donate to the thrift store … wow. Ok, all done … really.

Today’s Shave

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Notovan
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Torrey SR
Soap: DR Harris Windsor

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
Dickenson Witch Hazel
AS: DR Harris Windsor

The Deets-
Great shave today to start the week off. Somehow I woke up a bit early and went with a leisurely shave … so nice. Three trouble free passes and I walked away BBS for the win! Yup, this is the kit for the week. Life is good!

Home Front-
So end of the week threw us a curveball and it was a crazy busy weekend too. But Saturday was awesome! The Stepson and I had our first fishing tourney of the year. It was mid 50’s and freaking raining all day long. Yuck. But … but we nailed it. We walked away with first place and big fish! Man oh man, I caught my personal best fish and am so stoked! You read that right, I caught the big fish! This big girl (11+ pounds) took big bass and seated us firmly in first place. Prior to this, my biggest bass was 6 pounds. And she was also 2 pounds shy of the lake record. As an added bonus, I am registering her in the Texas ShareLunker program. It was a good day.

Attachment.jpeg

Back