The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Pick your Health Goal Two Month Challenge

went for an hours walk today while gma had lunch with a friend. did some more hot yoga in the evening time, which was another hour. dont feel so beat today. actually feeling pretty good right know. may or may not take tomrrow off.

See, it's just a lifestyle for me. I started doing physical stuff in my mid 20's after struggling with depression and weird blood sugar issues. My girlfriend at the time had a best friend who dated a pro skater, and we started hanging out, and I got into skating, then snowboarding when I moved here for work.
It really normal just to go skate or ride everyday after work, didn't really think about it. But I did notice I was having way less of the afore mentioned problems.

I was stretching quite a bit at that time, because it helped with the soreness, that led to eventually getting into yoga. A difficult divorce got me to shift priorities, and I got seriously into yoga, and found I was naturally good at it. Unlike boardsports, they were just fun.

I lost my job here, and realized it would be impossible to find another as a foreigner, so moved into full time yoga. The yoga I did was seriously hard core, 2 hours a day minimum and then teaching 6 days a week. 3-4 hour sessions weren't unusual though. So I guess you can say I built up to it.

Training at the gym is so much more self moderated, that I don't have a problem.

The other thing is I deload every 5th week, just light training, according to my mood. So that's the main thing I do for recovery.
But my life circumstances are such that I can make time for it, if I had a normal job, something would be scaled back for sure.
Finally I just know what I can do, and moderate how heavy I lift, rep ranges, volume etc so it works. I have friends who are WAY stronger and they have totally different set ups that work for them.

But that's me, and it's definitely not for most people to do!

Oddly though, most of my clients come to me with a 5-6 day a week training history. A lot of times I actually work to wean them back, because I can see it's not working for them. Progress isn't happening, frequent niggles, and frequent weeks where everything just falls apart randomly.

So, the real key is to find an amount of training that you can consistently hit each week. There's limitless ways of doing it. If you find everything is falling apart regularly then, it's time for a rethink. I'm not a big believer in 'will power' you need to find what you can consistently and organically do at first. Build from there step by step.
Thank you so much for sharing! I always find it so interesting to understand the perspective of someone who goes on a health journey. You know...what got them there. And you are no exception

I am very much like you in the sense that 'powering through" something, or "will power" isn't always the best solution. Exercise doesn't come easy for me. I am not one of these guys that goes running and am like "oh, yeah baby!" Barbell strength training and rucking are the two things that I probably enjoy the most when it comes to exercise. But I am rarely overly excited about doing either. So I do my best to make my schedule as easy as I can so I can stick to a routine. Which is where I am struggling now. I don't have a lot of time to schedule things into my daily life right now. The new job has me driving an hour and a half one way for work on most days. The good part is that I get 3 hours a week on the clock to work out and the worksite has a really nice gym. Anyway...I think I have stated this before so I will quit babbling.

But thank you Cole for sharing. I think a lot of insight can be gleamed from your experience.

Got back into my 5x5's today. Along with a fair bit of stretching and warm ups. Feeling really good today. Hope that feeling can continue.
5x5s is a good program! I think you said it worked in the past. Keep it going!

did a hot pilattes class yesterday at 11:00 am legs were pretty sore. did some what they call yin yoga at the local studio, lots of stretching. then they had a sound bath i wanted to try out from 7 to 930. so i did a lot of yoga last night. may work out today, legs are slightly sore but not too bad.
Lots of yoga going on! If I had the time I would definitely get in a yoga class. I definitely need some help with back, neck, shoulder, hip mobility. Or I guess I could have said whole body mobility! :)

I have been slacking....
Not off to a good start. A lot of personal things going on in the household as well as a cold making its rounds.

I did however make a trip up the silo first thing this morning, and did make myself get a short weight workout tonight.

I have been slacking....
Not off to a good start. A lot of personal things going on in the household as well as a cold making its rounds.

I did however make a trip up the silo first thing this morning, and did make myself get a short weight workout tonight.
I find that navigating the home life is the hardest part of finding a little time to work out. Life isn’t easy and anyone who says it is is a liar. But when things derail us, we need to adjust fire and try the next best thing. In the end what is most important is that we prioritize our health. There are people who depend on us. So we owe it to them to live as long as we can as healthy as we can.

You will figure it out Shawn. If not tomorrow then the next day.

Sorry...I wanted to post my update yesterday but new Granddaughters take precedent....

I've been upping my water intake. I'm nearly at 2 liters a day (and no....I'm not counting beer as water....which it clearly has as its main ingredient). So I'm doing well it that respect. might be able to get up to 3 liters before the challenge is over.......but don't quote me on that.

Walking has been going well. On monday, I made a journey around the building, out the back gate and down the length of the block and back. Felt pretty accomplished and proud of myself. Woke up the next day and felt like I'd run back to back marathons.....so I'm going back to easing into the longer distance. But I did power through that next day just going around the building and was fine the following day. I think my legs just wanted a better explanation for what they experienced than "Its good for you".

Today I got to step onto a conveyor, then straddle it and the machine base to reach out and hold a 140 pound motor while the bolts were removed. Then step back onto the conveyor and then off it to carry the motor to a cart. Two more lifts to get it on and off the bench to put bearings in it.
Then back up onto the conveyor, step across to the machine base, and hold it out to have the bolts put back in...

Oh, and I actually got some weight workout done tonight. 🤣

@Spider
@heysi
@ShawnF
@CVargo
@novicewetshaver
@HMan

Just a reminder. If you haven't posted something this week, you need to do it sometime today.

I just want to say that I appreciate everyone's participation. Hopefully we can learn from each other's successes and failures.
Thanks for the reminder.
I was this close to blowing my goal this week, but thankfully managed to get myself to class today, and had a good experience.

My ballet school went bankrupt with no warning a couple of months ago. Being a major European city, there are other options, but at my level, it's very rough walking into a new class with new teacher. A couple of my teachers found positions at schools that are very close, but only at the next level up, which is actually a pretty big leap. I managed to get in their classes, but it's really been a battle, and at times both discouraging and embarrassing. No man wants to look like an idiot in room full of ladies after all.

I kind of reached my limit last night, and bailed early on the one 'extra' class I'm taking. Almost didn't go today, but in spit of last night's awful class, a minor miracle happened, I was able to do a full front split for the first time I think 5 years. That sort of motivated me to go to my main, and hardest class today. Glad I did as I had a good talk with my teacher and we made a plan going forward, so maybe I'll make it. :)

took thursday off, did some yin yoga last night and some hot yoga this morning at 11 am. that about wraps up the week for me. gonna do some hot pillates tomrrow morning

My goal is going to be on the back burner for a bit.
My wife got a call this morning to tell her that her father passed.
So I am going to be absent for a bit to take care of he.r

Sorry been on business travel, and that caused me to not be as resilient as I need to be.

This week I have a goal of 10k steps each day. The weather is good and I plan to get some cardio in around the neighborhood and get some weights done while at home working.

This week I have a goal of 10k steps each day. The weather is good and I plan to get some cardio in around the neighborhood and get some weights done while at home working.
Translation: I'm walking from my home desk to the home bar and I'm lifting Burbon bottles.

Week #2

Time flies when you're.....oh I don't know.

Holding steady at two liters of water per day. Body is starting to normalize. Spent the first few days peeing every half hour. Not quite that bad this week. But I've noticed my skin is not quite as dry and I feel more alert throughout the day.

Walking has gotten more relaxed. After overdoing it the first week...I've eased into a routine. A few days of one distance and then go a half a block longer. Yesterday I did two laps around the building before going to the end of the block and back.

Next week should be interesting because I'm going to Tennessee to meet my first Granddaugther and my walking schedule will be thrown off. On the plus side, I will be up moving around a bit more than usual so I may end up on walking more anyway. But I'll be drinking plenty of water.

Last weeks weight: 190
Current weight: 185

Back