The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

PAA Ascension Twist SS Adjustable razor...Deceptively good.

Been pretty busy lately & trying to get caught up. Thanks Gus for the reviews & tour offer. You know I'll be in for sure! This one may be relegated to my Christmas/birthday wish list!

Not to steal thunder from this pass around but in a couple few weeks I will be starting 2 pass arounds with razors coming from our own Dagwoodz, Josh. He's sending me back my Karve and said he included the Timeless OC Bronze and the Colonial Brass with some Blades for me to try and do a pass around if there is interest for that. So watch for those threads popping up eventually too.

The Cadre at TSC is abuzz with pass arounds !!!

Sorry, Back to your regularly schedule review thread now !!

Not to steal thunder from this pass around but in a couple few weeks I will be starting 2 pass arounds with razors coming from our own Dagwoodz, Josh. He's sending me back my Karve and said he included the Timeless OC Bronze and the Colonial Brass with some Blades for me to try and do a pass around if there is interest for that. So watch for those threads popping up eventually too.

The Cadre at TSC is abuzz with pass arounds !!!

Sorry, Back to your regularly schedule review thread now !!

Nice! A pass around with the Colonial BG would be on point. Anyone and everyone should jump at the opportunity. I truly believe that Colonial will not be producing these ever again. They were considering doing a V2 of the Brass General but went with a prototype SS instead. Shame really as the Brass Gen is a real smooth operator...

Nice! A pass around with the Colonial BG would be on point. Anyone and everyone should jump at the opportunity. I truly believe that Colonial will not be producing these ever again. They were considering doing a V2 of the Brass General but went with a prototype SS instead. Shame really as the Brass Gen is a real smooth operator...

It's a shame if they don't re-release it, but glad to give people the opportunity to try it out!

Copper very soon......
I’ve never owned a copper alloy razor. Curious as to how it would do face feel wise? Some further investigation may be needed in the very near future.

69F6F5F2-F64C-4DCB-A212-84625CEA49FC.jpeg

What? You guys don’t like Lincoln staring at you while you shave?
Stinkin Lincoln!
green-pennies.jpg
S

I finally got to get a couple of shaves in with the Copper Ascension this past week. A very nice looking and performing razor imo.

If you’ve seen the reviews on the SS version, it’s pretty much the same as that. Only difference is in the weight of the Copper over the Stainless. It still is nicely balanced and the extra heft I feel actually aided in the shave a bit. Still very smooth and efficient feeling throughout the whole shave. And of course the beauty of the whole thing is the dual open comb design. It just allows for that bit of lather to come along on every stroke as the razor and blade just glides effortlessly across ones face. Fit and finish is excellent and I think that this handle actually feels just a tad less grippier than the Stainless or Aluminum version. But, it still feels fine in the hands and it never felt like it was going to slip or fall out of my hands.

If you have the Stainless or Aluminum I think there really is no need for the Copper version unless of course, you don’t happen to have a copper razor in your possession. If you missed out on either of the first two, the Copper Ascension would be a fine pick up. If, they become available again.

F0BC8C22-0098-456A-8F08-00599D9D909E.jpeg

A8AA4F07-702A-4359-A1BB-6980C9F4284D.jpeg

FF7CB265-08E2-4A80-863D-56E3B9E090CE.jpeg

7D85B1AF-1B68-4549-BA92-CFBD6EC9975B.jpeg

The Ascension family of razors shares nothing shave characteristics wise with it’s older brother, the venerable EVO DOC razor. That razor which is the one to the extreme right is a ferociously efficient and some have even termed it as a harsh shaver. The EVO nearly has no bend or angle to the blade, almost straight and is rigidly supported almost the whole width and length of he blade. So, it’s a very blade forward feeling shaver that requires a nice light touch and smooth even strokes. It’s not a razor you pick up for a late morning get to work 5 minute shaver. It requires some concentration and good technique to get the best out of it. The Ascension series of razors have much more of a curvature built in to give it that built in twist adjustability that it was designed for using the blade for tension. It’s a lot smoother than the EVO yet, just as efficient in shave performance. And a whole lot easier and forgiving on the skin. They really are all excellent performers, the Ascension series of razors that is. And the EVO is without question my preferred open comb razor in my den. It’s a heck of a razor as well.

Left to right, Aluminum, Copper and Stainless Ascension razors. Far right, the EVO DOC SS.
4CDE4654-93EC-4F8B-8F8B-236A292BFB4C.jpeg

D89E0666-3D82-4D09-B01B-C625C74490E4.jpeg

How much lighter is the aluminum one vs the copper and SS ones

Very light. Almost cartridge razor like. The Copper is 117 grams, The SS is 98 grams and the Aluminum is 33 grams. Substantial difference. If a light razor is one’s preference, the Aluminum Ascension is the ticket.

Back