The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

PAA Ascension Twist SS Adjustable razor...Deceptively good.

Another newcomer into the razor world. And I’m pretty sure a few have already heard about it but, for those that haven’t, here it is. The Ascension Twist Adjustable razor in SS 316/316L from PAA. There is another in Aluminum 7075 that was released a couple weeks prior to the SS version but, for this abbreviated review I will focus quickly on the SS model.

I have been a fan of the Dual Open Comb razors from PAA, especially the beastly but wonderful DOC EVO SS. Which, by the way cannot be confused with the Ascension as the EVO is an extremely aggressive/efficient tool. Contrary, the Ascension is smooth but very efficient and it does it with a simple twist of the handle. Yes, you can get to be smooth as glass or as efficient with lovely blade feel but still retaining a nice comfortable and smooth feel to it. Fit and finish is very, very good with a nice almost mirror like polish look to it. No, it’s not Wolfman, Charcoal Goods, Raw Shaving or Timeless looking, where you can see a reflection of your pearly whites but, for the measly sum of $79.99 you get a razor that is machined nicely with tight tolerances and finished quite well. See for yourself:

It has good balance and weight with excellent feel in the hands. The knurling could be a bit deeper and more pronounced but, I’ve had no issues with slippage in my 5-6 shaves with it so far. The blade lines up just about perfect every time without an issue and the extreme curvature of the razors design is what really makes this thing work so well. When you place the blade in between the cap and base plate, the razor acts like a spring and creates a bit of resistance and in providing the slight adjustability that was designed into the razor. I know, I thought a big gimmick as well just to promote and market to dummies like myself that love to look at new things and all in wet shaving. But, the gimmick does work and it does it in two ways.

The adjustability comes from a simple 1/4 turn from the handle counter-clockwise. You can even do it as minutely in 1/16 or 1/8 turns to get the feel you are looking for. And the kicker is that you get 2 benefits out of it as I stated before. You increase blade gap slightly but, more importantly you also increase positive blade exposure and that’s where this little giant excels at. Because of that extreme curvature on the cap and base of the razor, the blade acts like a thin sheet metal shock absorber/spring. Closing the handle minimizes gap and exposure while opening/loosening the handle slightly increases it evenly across the length of the blade on both sides.

Anyways, there’s a video clip on the PAA web site that shows it more clearly and explains it a bit more in depth than I possibly could. The thing is this, it shaves extremely well with excellent blade feel without being harsh. Say like an Muhle R41 (2013 and up) efficiency with an Rockwell R5/R6 smoothness and perhaps even smoother. It just works and the shaves have been great so far.

If your looking for a sub $100 razor that actually is made of quality alloys, is CNC machined to exacting tolerances and has a bit of adjustability to fine tune your shave, the PAA Ascension Twist Adjustable just might be worthy of your consideration. A fine shaver in my book......

The blade acts like a spring and actually gives some tension to the whole assembly. PAA recommends to not turn the handle more than a 1/4 turn counter-clockwise to set gap and exposure from tight. I've actually done a 1/2 turn from tight and there is no fear of accidental movement once you start shaving with the razor. Anything past that would be unsafe in my estimation. Once you set it to where you like it, it's done and no fear of movement in my experience. It surprised me on how good the shave was.

I have shaved with my SS DOC Ascension twice now and it is a really great piece of hardware. It is a very efficient razor.

The twist adjustment also works as advertised. It does not feel in any way unsafe.

Thanks Doug but you aren't helping me
1f601.png
Enabling is helping.
1f601.png
1f603.png
1f60b.png
1f61c.png
1f608.png
1f44d.png
1f44d.png

Another good one with the Ascension last night. This aluminum version of it has proven me wrong in that a lightweight razor can and will give just as good a shave as a razor with more weight to it. This thing is like a small sports car racing around my face with excellent balance between smoothness and efficiency. Great little razor....

Had a very, very good shave this morning with the PAA Ascension Twist SS razor. And just to change things up a bit, I used the Gamechanger Radio Knob handle on it. It actually felt better in the hands and better balanced than the Bomb Tip handle that come with it. Better knurling and feel and weight distribution was just about right. I haven’t had a single complaint so far from this razor and the shaves have been smooth and so efficient. A heck of a deal for $80. Great, great value.

Almost a dozen shaves in with the Ascension SS and not a single bad shave with this razor. Uncany how smooth and yet efficient this razor is. I honestly can not find a fault with its performance. You can go from feeling a shave comparable to the .68 Gamechanger all the way up to a .95 Timeless OC razor. And yet, it keeps that inherent smoothness throughout that simple 1/4 turn twist or less depending on the feel you are looking for in a shave. I'm extremely impressed with the Ascension SS and would recommend it to anyone from a newb to a seasoned veteran. Easy to use and even easier to dial in your custom shave.

The one caveat that perhaps might matter to most is the handle itself. I feel as though the knurling on it is not as deep or pronounced as compared to other handles that offer better grip. Not that it has ever slipped or fallen from my hands but, I think with a better, deeper and more pronounced knurling to provide better tactile feel, PAA would have hit a grand slam with this tool. Still for the construction, alloy, quality of shave and value, it's a home run imho......

I like the handle on the Ascension. But, I am also a fan of the ball-end Gillette Tech handle.

I am working through several other OC razors right now for OCtober, but when I am finished with those I will be finishing the month with my Ascension. It is a solidly good shaver. Definitely worth the price of admission.

The 1 downside to me is reading how light it is. I don't seem to enjoy light razors anymore. Nice reviews tho Gus

Yes Dave, the Aluminum version is quite light, 33 grams/1.16oz. But, the SS version is 98 grams/3.46oz. And the SS version works great for me.

Though, I will say that the Aluminum one is no slouch in giving a great shave also. I too prefer a more substantial razor as it feels right in the hands. I simply added a heavier handle to the Aluminum Ascension and it practically put it on par with the SS Ascension.

Unfortunately, they are both sold out at the moment and I'm not sure if PAA will be bringing one or both back. I think they will produce more as they both sold out faster than expected.

Maybe a pass around is in order for the bros at the Cadre? Any thoughts on this? As Dave knows, this can be arranged rather quickly.... What say you Sir Dave? ?

I'm game Brother. Didn't know they had a SS version. Now you can color me curious !

it’s on then. I’m sending the razor out to a couple of shaving compadres on the other site but, once it’s back I will be setting up a tour here for the Cadre brothers. I’ll get in touch with the Admins here and see how I would need to set it up and if there will be any restrictions. Stay tuned as I’ll have more info in a couple of weeks....

Back