The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

old spice aftershave

those are some really cool looking pieces of hardware you got there, where would be the best place to look for those type of decantors and is there anythinig i should stay away from? thanks again!
Thrift stores and antique shops! You can hunt eBay as well, but it’s always more fun to find them in the wild.

Those are also good places to look for vintage Avon AS, which is another great option for inexpensive quality scents (and some pretty cool decanters as well).
What @Spider said, thrift stores are the best for decanters. It’s taken me some time, but I’ve found several really nice decanters and bottles. Keep an eye out and you’ll find them! Good luck

#teamOldSpice
+1 to #teamOldSpice!

Echo most of everything that has already been said here - you definitely owe it to yourself to check out what is still easily accessible at most drug or big box stores: P&G Old Spice, AV, Brut, Skin Bracer, Clubman. You can normally also find Nivea post shave balm. I enjoy Afta as well, although I'm sure there are plenty of people turned off by its ingredient list when compared to an artisan's post shave balm.

Vintage Shulton Old Spice is definitely different than the current formulations. Most agree it's better. You used to be able to get little red bottles of Old Spice produced by P&G India that was closer to the vintage Shulton profile, but I don't think those really exist anymore. You ALSO used to be able to mix the ViJon Old Spice clones 50:50 with the current P&G formulation to replicate the Shulton juice, but they discontinued those dollar store clone bottles as well. Nowadays, you're just going to have to get a vintage bottle if you want that true Shulton experience. Good news is just about all of it came in glass so you don't have to worry about it having gone bad.

In terms of decanting, yes, leaving it in the plastic bottles gives it a chance to get a little skunky. I use hot sauce bottles to decant my cheapie drug store bottles, but there are loads of creative ideas.

That's just it....because it is "new", I call it "New Spice".
To me, New Spice was always the scent from Saint Charles Shave. What an amazing “lady killer” scent. Intoxicating to say the least. I miss that scent, maybe more than I miss Fairway.

Calling @Fightingillini22 and @OpusX

Then you owe it to yourself to try the drug store aftershaves. They are way less expensive than artisan aftershaves. And their scents are classic.
You should be able to find many of these: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, AV Musk, AV Sport, Skin Bracer, Brut, Pinaud Clubman, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, Florida Water.
And if you can find a barber/beauty supply store you can find the barber classics like the Master, Gabels, and Stephan lines with many different scents at a fraction of the cost of artisan AS.
I've enjoyed Stephan for the years I've had it. Might try a different BR next, though.

To me, New Spice was always the scent from Saint Charles Shave. What an amazing “lady killer” scent. Intoxicating to say the least. I miss that scent, maybe more than I miss Fairway.
Is there anything comparable to the Scent charles shaves? something with simliar notes. Seems like something i might try. thanks again

The vintage Old Spice is usually worth the price most sellers on eBay ask but make sure the seller is highly rated so you don’t get ripped off.

The vintage Old Spice is usually worth the price most sellers on eBay ask but make sure the seller is highly rated so you don’t get ripped off.
I've found a lot of it at antique stores! I've purchased many bottles for under $5. A lot of the time it's mixed in with Avon and even mislabeled as Avon (the special shaped bottles anyway).

Is there anything comparable to the Scent charles shaves? something with simliar notes. Seems like something i might try. thanks again
Not sure I"ve ever smelled anything like it. It's a warm scent in the wheelhouse of D&G The One or PDP No. 63.

I've found a lot of it at antique stores! I've purchased many bottles for under $5. A lot of the time it's mixed in with Avon and even mislabeled as Avon (the special shaped bottles anyway).
iu

Back