The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

old spice aftershave

novicewetshaver

Sr. Shave Member
So i was able to get some vintage old spice shaving soap some from my buddy luecke3262. I was curious how the old spice aftershave holds up. i saw a 3 pack on amazon for about 24 bucks. how well does it perform as an aftershave? Should i try to get a vintage bottle or does the newer stuff work just as well. any thoughts would be greatly aprecaited thanks!

I was curious how the old spice aftershave holds up.
I’m really not sure what you mean by this question.

But in general, many of us use and love Old Spice. The formulation has changed so the modern doesn’t smell the same as the vintage. I use both, but prefer the scent of the vintage.

Vintage Old Spice AS for the win, but the new stuff isn't bad either. Aftershaves last for ever, so rest assured if you buy a bunch, it will not go bad. Ask @Spider he has enough to last until and through the Shavepocolypse.

I’m really not sure what you mean by this question.

But in general, many of us use and love Old Spice. The formulation has changed so the modern doesn’t smell the same as the vintage. I use both, but prefer the scent of the vintage.
what i ment by this is how does it hold up or compare to some of the artisn aftershaves out there. how does the post the post shave feel with this particular aftershave? the main thing im wondering outside of scent is how does your skin feel when using this as an aftershave.

Comparing to artisan aftershaves is pretty broad. Better than some, worse than others?

I’ll say it, like many drug store aftershaves, are pretty average. They have basic ingredients, that include a humectant which helps draw moisture into the skin, but don’t have any excess moisturizers that many artisan AS have.

You should be able to pick up a bottle locally. Anytime you go into a grocery store, drug store, Walmart, or department store check out their shaving aisle. You’d be surprised how many aftershaves you can find. All the classics.

It’s worth the price of at least one bottle to try I’d say if you like the OS scent. I wouldn’t look to it to take care of any shaving irritation or dryness though.

Comparing to artisan aftershaves is pretty broad. Better than some, worse than others?

I’ll say it, like many drug store aftershaves, are pretty average. They have basic ingredients, that include a humectant which helps draw moisture into the skin, but don’t have any excess moisturizers that many artisan AS have.

You should be able to pick up a bottle locally. Anytime you go into a grocery store, drug store, Walmart, or department store check out their shaving aisle. You’d be surprised how many aftershaves you can find. All the classics.
Thanks!! the only frame of reference that i have to aftershaves that arent artisan aftershaves was tobs sandalwood. mostly everything else i have is from artisan vendors.

Calling @Fightingillini22 and @OpusX

mostly everything else i have is from artisan vendors.
Then you owe it to yourself to try the drug store aftershaves. They are way less expensive than artisan aftershaves. And their scents are classic.
You should be able to find many of these: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, AV Musk, AV Sport, Skin Bracer, Brut, Pinaud Clubman, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, Florida Water.
And if you can find a barber/beauty supply store you can find the barber classics like the Master, Gabels, and Stephan lines with many different scents at a fraction of the cost of artisan AS.

Old Spice Original is an absolute classic. The current generation from Procter and Gamble is pretty good, but nothing beats the old school vintage Shulton. Get both in any case. Antique stores and sometimes thrift shops can be a score for the old stuff. Also the vintage Avon Spicy is an awesome clone.

Calling @Fightingillini22 and @OpusX

Then you owe it to yourself to try the drug store aftershaves. They are way less expensive than artisan aftershaves. And their scents are classic.
You should be able to find many of these: Old Spice, Aqua Velva, AV Musk, AV Sport, Skin Bracer, Brut, Pinaud Clubman, Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum, Florida Water.
And if you can find a barber/beauty supply store you can find the barber classics like the Master, Gabels, and Stephan lines with many different scents at a fraction of the cost of artisan AS.
@novicewetshaver i have to echo what @OpusX and @Spider have said! You gotta try these aftershaves and then hunt out their vintage versions. Then you can start collecting the original vintage bottles/decanters!

Have fun!

do decanters improve the smell of the store bough plastic bottles, ive been meaning to put that clubman you sent me in teh decanter.
To quote a wise @Spider from an ancient thread, “It just makes it better! Off gassing from the plastic can negatively affect the fragrance. Decanting into glass stops, and reverses this process.”

Some aftershave can get a skunky scent if it hangs out in plastic for too long. The glass is neutral and can allow some of the off gassed plastic smells to escape the solution and be released after each use of the bottle. It’s a definite must with Pinaud Clubman and Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, but is also wonderful with Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva or any other. Also it just plain looks cool!

E9A1027F-B22F-4F9A-A955-8EE657CA7C1A.jpegCFE12ABD-CBA5-4EAE-99A8-ACFBD0B89498.jpeg7D8B28D5-4766-4D88-B61B-098E89AF762C.jpeg

To quote a wise @Spider from an ancient thread, “It just makes it better! Off gassing from the plastic can negatively affect the fragrance. Decanting into glass stops, and reverses this process.”

Some aftershave can get a skunky scent if it hangs out in plastic for too long. The glass is neutral and can allow some of the off gassed plastic smells to escape the solution and be released after each use of the bottle. It’s a definite must with Pinaud Clubman and Pinaud Lilac Vegetal, but is also wonderful with Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva or any other. Also it just plain looks cool!

View attachment 70362View attachment 70364View attachment 70365
i did notice a skunky smell on that clubman vanilla, i was wondering what that was, put it into the decantor

View attachment 70362View attachment 70364View attachment 70365
those are some really cool looking pieces of hardware you got there, where would be the best place to look for those type of decantors and is there anythinig i should stay away from? thanks again!

Thrift stores and antique shops! You can hunt eBay as well, but it’s always more fun to find them in the wild.

Those are also good places to look for vintage Avon AS, which is another great option for inexpensive quality scents (and some pretty cool decanters as well).

Back