The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

OCtober 2018 ... All Open Comb razors are welcome.

PAA Ascension Twist SS w/Radio Knob GC handle & Astra SP #2
RR Beehive 28mm Plissoft
Stone Cottage Suede De Kashmir
Thayers Lemon WH Astringent
Nivea Sensitive Cooling A/S lotion
Parfums De Marly Layton edp

OCtober 14

ATT S2 slant razor. Tonight’s shave was with the ATT S2 stainless steel head on one of my Hawaiian hardwood handles (curly Koa). I have to admit that this is my favorite OC slant and a consistent performer. Great weight and balance, and tonight’s shave was a two pass plus touch up BBS.

10/14/18 - The PAA Bakelite OC Slant

A very light and efficient razor. Great shave today.

OCtober 15

Probak razor. Interesting razor with varied stories of it’s existence. Supposedly it was the basis for the earlier Goodwill (the one without the holes in the top cap, however having shaved with that Goodwill, they are not the same shaver. The Probak is significantly lighter with the base plate being zamak (a lot better lookig though). It is an extremely mild shaver, one of the few I own that takes a full three passes to get a DFS.

Second shave in a row with the Piccolo. It got me in several places yesterday, but a much better shave today. Pressure and angle are (extra) key with this little shaver!

MONDAY SOTD ::::: October 15, 2018

Pre-shave Oil: Oscar’s Oil Sandalwood
Soap: RazoRock Santal Royale
Brush: Colorado Razor Designs (Scott Kennard) taffy marbled tulip silvertip 24mm
Razor: Gillette New Improved Big Fellow (1921)
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (1)
Post Splash Humphreys Citrus Witch Hazel
Aftershave: RazoRock Santal Royale

OCtober 16

Kampfe Star 1902. This is a great shaver that is at its best when shaving with the wedge blades. It can also use the modern Gem blades, but you lose the whole effect. Loaded it with the Kampfe Star wedge blade, which gave a great three pass DFS.

OCtober 17

Gillette New Raised Flat Bottom #44. This is a razor that needs no introduction. I have no idea why having a raised flat bottom would improve a shave so significantly but it does. It is not as efficient as the New De Luxe, but definitely more comfortable a shave. Tonight was a two pass plus touch up near BBS.

OCtober 18

Since this will be my last four days participating in OCtober, I decided to leave my favorite OC razors for last.

Gillette New Short Comb. One of the most efficient of the Gillette OC razors. Almost as comfortable as the LC, but way more efficient. Two pass plus touch up BBS tonight.

I wish I could share posts with the variety of razors some of you guys have! Great stuff! I’m still going strong with my single OC (Fatip Grande). When the month started, I was still a little bit afraid of this razor. Now I’m getting some of the best shaves I’ve ever gotten out of ANY razor!

OCtober 18, 2018

PAA DOC EVO & Voshkod Teflon #3
RR F-400 XL 34mm
WK Project Leather
Thayers Medicated WH Astringent
Nivea Sensitive a/s lotion
Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods a/s splash

Here are my razors for the 16th through the 18th:

The one on the left is my first OLD Type. It has a cool base plate that has "Use Ivory Soap" embossed on it.

The one on the right was a gift from my brother, with case.

OCtober 19

Gillette New Improved Tuckaway. I started OCtober with a New Improved and tonight’s shave was with the shortened Tuckaway mode. They have distinctly different shave characteristics mostly due to the balance with the shorter handle. Definitely a smooth and efficient shaver. Another two pass plus touch up BBS.

Back