The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Nurse Dave's Journal

2018 shave #78 (DE:10 SE:27 Str:40 Cart:2)

iKon X3 slant w/ Israeli Personna (1)
L&L After the Rain
Stirling 26mm synthetic pro
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Bleu de Chanel

I had mentioned that I was duplicating journal entries in a new diary app I was messing around with. Another bonus of that and being able to tag entries is I can quickly access all the entries for just one razor. So today, not knowing how many shaves I had on the blades in my RX and Parker I was able to quickly look. They were both needing to be replaced so I emptied them and decided it was a good chance to reach for something I haven't used in a long time. (November 30th to be exact)

Wanting a shave that was nice on my skin I went with the Personna instead of a Feather to be a touch milder. Maybe the wrong choice. I think my technique was flawless but I ended up with BBS- after dry down I guess you would call it. I might just get rid of this razor. Nothing wrong with it and I like the weight, but I just don't see myself reaching into the drawer for a slant very often. Shaves pretty much like my Merkur 38c I think.

Otherwise, nice little shave. After the Rain has a white pepper note to me that I really enjoy. Again, this is the first shaving soap I ever used, so memories there. And maybe the first soap I have any chance of actually using all up, though I think there's still 1/3 left.

The CPAP had been going okay. My wife reports no snoring with a smile on her face. And I find I'm not waking up in the middle of the night. I've been a bit sore because when I'm sleeping I find I'm not moving around much because of that hose. But that's getting a little easier each night. Haven't found myself bounding with new found energy, but I think I'm not constantly tired any more. Trying this machine for a week and then having the performance analyzed before they give me my own.

Nice set-up Dave...I PIF'd my slant as well, as I could not get a comfortable shave with it myself. After the Rain is a soap I'm looking at adding sometime in the future, it seems pretty popular. That's great news on the CPAP front!

Nice read and shave today. I enjoy the After the Rain scent.

Dagwoodz said:
Nice set-up Dave...I PIF'd my slant as well, as I could not get a comfortable shave with it myself. After the Rain is a soap I'm looking at adding sometime in the future, it seems pretty popular. That's great news on the CPAP front!
Cvargo said:
Nice read and shave today. I enjoy the After the Rain scent.

Thank you guys. I'll have to pick-up the AS at some point as well.

After the rain isn’t necessarily one of my favorite scents but my grandpa had it in his bathroom when he passed away so I keep it around for when I’m feeling nostalgic.

Nice shave Dave. I haven't tried that scent, but I do enjoy their soaps.

Quijote said:
Nice shave Dave. I haven't tried that scent, but I do enjoy their soaps.
I'd just say, don't count on my scent description of it. I've found my nose is calibrated to a different standard than many.

Don't worry...you aren't the only one. I mean...Chad thinks SV's Stella Alpina smells like tumbleweeds. *SMDH*

2018 shave #79 (DE:11 SE:27 Str:40 Cart:2)

iKon X3 slant w/ Israeli Personna (2)
Strop Shoppe London Morning
Plisson synthetic 24mm in Shave Revolution handle
Witch Hazel & alum
Nivea balm
Missoni

I got the new Weck blades from Chad yesterday, but I was wasn't ready to subject myself to the Weck again just yet.

Just a basic shave since I had the iKon out and ready. I've been toying with actually doing a week of themed shaves, but that seems like quite a commitment when I feel penned in enough picking my shave right before my shower so I can take a pic of it.

Back home we got a wild hair to get a bigger house. Or at least get things lined up to make it possible. I tell ya, the housing market here is unreal. All cash offers have been pretty standard here for a while, so it makes it more of a struggle for anyone using financing. And homes in our area stay on the market an average of 20 days. So you need to have everything lined up and ready to jump when one comes on the market. Luckily, we aren't in the position of NEEDING to move right away.

I can relate to feeling penned in on your shave, since I pull everything out and take the picture the night before. But I can say that it takes the indecision in the morning when I'm not entirely awake out of the equation. Audibles are always an option too...

Dagwoodz said:
Don't worry...you aren't the only one. I mean...Chad thinks SV's Stella Alpina smells like tumbleweeds. *SMDH*

Doesn't everything in Utah smell like tumbleweeds?

Nice shave and glad the blades arrived.

Moving ugh I hate moving! I might want to change my car every few years but the thought of moving just gives me anxiety.

Cvargo said:
Nice shave and glad the blades arrived.

Moving ugh I hate moving! I might want to change my car every few years but the thought of moving just gives me anxiety.

Same here. My wife has been wanting to move for many years, but I'd rather stay in a small home than deal with that. But our three kids share 2 smaller bedrooms and thinking about them going through high school and having enough space when them come back to visit had prompted me to move forward. Though, that could change ;)

NurseDave said:
Same here. My wife has been wanting to move for many years, but I'd rather stay in a small home than deal with that. But our three kids share 2 smaller bedrooms and thinking about them going through high school and having enough space when them come back to visit had prompted me to move forward. Though, that could change ;)

That I totally get. We have the master and two other bedrooms on the main level. Perfect for our family of 4. If my wife gets her way and gets a third kid that means my son will use the bedroom in the basement. Not horrible, but a tad bit smaller. I'm sure when he's older he'd probably like it more.

We are in the contraction phase in our houses. Unfortunately we will need to divest ourselves of a ton of stuff to get into a smaller house. Now that Mom and Dad are gone and the Lad is married and gone we have way too much house for the two of us.

Majorrich said:
We are in the contraction phase in our houses. Unfortunately we will need to divest ourselves of a ton of stuff to get into a smaller house. Now that Mom and Dad are gone and the Lad is married and gone we have way too much house for the two of us.
My parents have been saying that for about 10 years and keep asking if we want any of their stuff!

I have heard that the market in the Bay area is crazy.

We are thinking about adding on rather than moving. We are currently in a 3/1 in which you have to go through one bedroom to get to the 3rd. If we add on a master suite, it would give us that 2nd bathroom and we could convert the other bedroom into something else.

Quijote said:
I have heard that the market in the Bay area is crazy.

We are thinking about adding on rather than moving. We are currently in a 3/1 in which you have to go through one bedroom to get to the 3rd. If we add on a master suite, it would give us that 2nd bathroom and we could convert the other bedroom into something else.
That would be optimal. Adding on a story. But then we have to live somewhere while the house is in pieces.

Great couple of shaves Dave!

I'm with Chad, the thought of having to move gives me the heebee jeebees!

Back