The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

Nice shave @HMan! I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else here bring out a Gibbs, it’s a nice looking razor.

Tallow & Steel West Indies is a nice scent and a good performer. I was able to try a sample. It was a bit too overpowering for me overall though. I found Sudsy Soapery’s Citrus & Bay to be more palatable.

Shave:
Inspired by @GearNoir

I must have given what I had left of my Proraso Red to my son, so went with DR Harris Sandalwood Cream.
I think my skills have improved because this was the best I've gotten out of this soap, and it was actually a really nice shave.

Slickness is actually quite good on the soap, it's not drying, but it does tend to want to dry out on the face a bit, and protection is lack luster, still, no real complaints, in fact I wouldn't mind trying the actual soap some day.

Post was Myrsol Dan Carlos 1972, I love Myrsol for an alcohol splash, feels very clean. As you can see the Don Carlos is already at 50% and it's the most recent one I've got, I just like the stuff.

The Proraso Red was a great top off. Not sure I like the added castor oil, I tend to notice it for an hour or tow after applying, I think that's what got me off it in the first place. It's worse for me with the original green stuff.

Rest of the day -

Holly crap too much good stuff today.

@CBLindsay did me a huge solid in the Yard Sell and I'm excited (with trepidation on top) about starting to learn how to use a straight.

Had a great work out. I had knee surgery a year and a half back and it's been a real struggle to get my leg strength back. The last couple of months I've seen real progress and that's just great.

I really like the gym I go to hear. It's small and the staff are terrific, I'm not one of these do a rep and talk half an hour people, but I like to feel I belong where I go. It's not the easiest thing to find in Helsinki, which isn't known for it's friendly outgoing atmosphere.

Anyway, the owner of their building decided to kick them out so another gym owner friend could take their space. Very sleazy IMO. They've been looking for a new location for 6 months, and today they signed a new contract in what I think will be a great location. It's virtually the same walking distance as where they are now too, which is huge for me.

We don't actually own a car, it's just not very practical here. I hate public transportation, spoiled CA boy that I am, so I walk virtually everywhere rain or shine. (Well here shine is very optional.)

Ok, I'm just waiting for my hiking boots to dry, waxing them in prep for visiting Sequoia. And then back to the packing frenzy and off to California tomorrow afternoon!

All the best to the cadre, and thanks for reading!

Awesome post Cole! Glad things are working out for you in the Health Gym arena! I know what you mean. I am more of a guy that want's to do what I have to do and do it. But I want my experience to be personable too! If I have a question or if I need some help...I want a staff that is helpful and willing to help!

I would love to live in an area where I could pretty much walk to everywhere I need to go. I think that is why I love Washington DC so much. It's not feasible to drive there and you pretty much have to walk most places. It keeps you in shape I bet!

Safe Travels!

SOTD

Gillette Tech made in England
Gillette Sputnik
APShave Co 28mm Synbad
Declaration Grooming Chaipre + Splash
Aqua Velva

Great jet lagged shave.
Lots of stuff waiting for me when I arrived, too much!

@Dave in KY Avon AS arrived in good shape. My friend here was loving the vintage bottles.
@CBLindsay Soaps and Straights arrived.

A huge thanks to both of you! More reports to come soon.

The only bummer was a Gillette Slim I bought on Etsy that was supposedly in good working order, instead it was bent 4 ways to heaven, and I managed to break it today attempting to straighten it. I’m pretty steamed as were talking everything was bent, won’t use that vendor again.

Still sunny and can wear a t-shirt, good friends and family, it’s all good.

More to come, but coffee and photos of this years fire season await.

Bummer about the slim, those are quite durable I can’t imagine how one can be so damaged, even harder to think one could be damaged without being obvious.

Thanks guy for the condolences on the Slim. Heard back from the vendor, I’ll get a refund, but you’re right @CBLindsay it was totally obvious, even my wife could tell it was off.

First try today of everything other than the Tech.

CBL Soap, very nice, super post shave feel.
Avon Wild Country, reminded me a lot of Mennen, but better and the dry down doesn’t smell like my grandfather’s sweaty t-shirts.
Paladin Brush - wow, totally worth it, now I know why folks like badger. Sorry, synthetic isn’t better than this pillow of backbone.

Rest of the day -
Jet log blows, and it’s not getting better as I get older.
Got out to see my mom, and had our usual Mexican food feast.

Funny things -
After living abroad so long, you start to notice some things.

One is Finnish plumbing rocks. Not used to needing to wait 5 minutes for the water to get hot. In the shower that range from perfect temperature to scalding hot or freezing cold is about 1mm on the knob, back home the gradient is much less extreme leading to less swearing in the shower and more singing.

Funny things -
After living abroad so long, you start to notice some things.

One is Finnish plumbing rocks. Not used to needing to wait 5 minutes for the water to get hot. In the shower that range from perfect temperature to scalding hot or freezing cold is about 1mm on the knob, back home the gradient is much less extreme leading to less swearing in the shower and more singing.
It's the trade off for CBL Soap, Avon and Paladin 🤪:ROFLMAO::p

More new things being tested.

B&M Behold the What Is Soap and Splash
Avon Tai Winds
Paladin 26mm Chief
Gillette English Aluminium Tech
Yard Sale Straight

I’ve got no idea what kind of childhood the folks at B&M had, but it must have been a lot different than mine, at least in the area of how it smelled. (Which is probably a good thing!) But it is a nice citrus type of scent that is different than any I’ve smelt before. I like an oddball scent, so think I’ll enjoy this, but not sure it’s for everyone though. Soap performance is outstanding however, with a terrific post feel.

2nd use of the Paladin, and glad I got it for sure, it’s just a great, even special brush. Honestly looking at this 26mm compared to the APShaveCo 28mm Synbad, it’s so dense that it’s actually a bigger blue than the Synbad’s. In fact I could see myself being happy with a 24mm if I ever manage to get another.

I started the shave with the Tech but after a pass I just thought, what the heck, let’s at least try the straight. I got two from the yard sale. (Actually @CBLindsay threw the second in along with a strop. Thanks Chris!) I figured I’d leave the good one as is until I get some sense of how to use and care for these things.
So my plan was just to give a couple of strokes to each cheek to start, and that happened without event, other than getting nerves on the right cheek.

I’m in no hurry here, anything spooky I’ve ever learned I’ve done buy gradual exposure and plan the same here.

Rest of the morning:
Took mom out for pancakes, my tiny frail mom out ate my wife and me! Great to see, then we cruised for a little while in the rental car and listened to Michael Jackson, who my mom loves.

Soon off to the gym, and boy do I need it!

If The Paladin 26mm is anything like SV’s 26mm you really wont want or need anything else, just fantastic. Good to hear the test run with the straight went well. It’s definitely a journey worth undertaking, enjoy every step.

Tai winds is easily the best Avon scent out there but they all seem to be ok. If you don’t have Avon Oland and want some, i’ll Send you all of mine (including a “cologne” strength) I do not like it at all. It’s an aramis clone and with all the love for vintage aramis I can’t stand the stuff.

Back