The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Horizons in Shaving

I like T&S in that they go all out for their scents. Which makes them polarizing because they are so strong and not “standard” scents. Unfortunately the scents don’t jive with me other than Maya. I really want that one.

And I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, Maya was my least favorite of the v2 scents. It's Ryan's favorite too though, so it will be around for awhile at least, and now in the new base.

Hope the missus is feeling better?

Way to go for keeping up the training regimen...who cares about the weight load. Better to do many reps with less than far fewer reps with too much.

Hope the missus is feeling better?

Way to go for keeping up the training regimen...who cares about the weight load. Better to do many reps with less than far fewer reps with too much.

Very much so. I'm a former yoga teacher, and used to do some pretty insane stuff that I don't even understand how I could do now. But I was also super skinny, so at my age, I'm just trying to get some muscle built up.
Ironically, I don't find bodybuilding type workouts to be that different than yoga, same body, same mind-body connection, just different exercises.

Today's shave:

Gillette New SC
Rubie Blade
APShaveCo 26mm Silk Smoke
Noble Otter Barrbarr - Bowl lather
Myrsol Don Carlos 1972
Noble Otter Barrbarr AS

I like doing bowl lathers when I have a little time to. I haven't tried too often with Noble Otter, and have to say, it didn't seem to like it. The thing with bowl lathering is you can really push the bubble on water retention. I did today with this soap and the effect was unexpected. The lather was beautiful and shiny, but on the face it was very thin, not the usual protection I expect from this soap and worse of all, even the slickness felt down and it showed signs of starting to dry on the face.

I love the scent of this soap, but maybe have a bit of anxiety using it since Lone Star gave me a bit of a reaction, and I find myself waiting for it to happen with this as well. Silly, but this is a silly hobby. That and I have a love hate thing with the lanolin content which I also keep expecting to give my skin problems, and have a hard time getting used to the 'coated' feeling it leaves on my face. I like it, then it bugs me, then I like it.

Myrsol Don Carlos is becoming my favorite of the line. Just a bit of some sort of woodiness that I like.

The Nobel Otter AS was a very pleasant, and I occasionally picked out the sandalwood/patchouli incense'y base today. It's brighter overall than the soap, but today I did notice what people are saying, it could project a bit more. My taste in scents are changing that's for sure. I'm looking forward to trying some new stuff soon!

Rest of the day(s)

Been busy to post, but it was overall a great week productivity wise. Made steps towards sorting things out with my business partners, and cleared some of the air. A long ways to go but good to get it out there.

Video for content got taken care of, and the outline of the next part of the project clarified. Hopefully I can write the majority of my section tomorrow.

Nice workouts at the gym as well. Going on a maintenance phase in prep for traveling home, which gives opportunity to experiment a little without pushing too hard.

For the majority of this year I've been in the gym 6 days a week, plus a couple of ballet classes. So gym reports are a big part of my lifestyle, even more so than shaving, but I enjoy the shave community here and find this a great place to leave these journal reports.

No reaction. I've got a atopic condition, so it makes me a little paranoid, and when I got the reaction from Lone Star I thought it was due to the lanolin. Silly as it sounds, even though I know it's not, that initial scare sticks with me, so lanolin soaps always have me on guard. But I'm going to beat it!

Yesterday's Shave

Wholly Kaw Rose Chypre Concerto - Bowl lather
Zenith Dark Synthetic Brush
Gillette Rocket HD
Myrsol Plastic
Chatillon Lux Yuzu/Rose/Patchouli

The struggle with lanolin continues. I know folks rate the Wholly Kaw highly, but man this stuff feels really drying on my face. I'm not sure if it's because of the rose though. My only other rose scented soap is ToBS and it had the exact same feeling, and well honest the scent is almost identical too!

Then to top it off I got a bit of 'that' reaction, and some small red bumps where they always come along the side of my chin. Is it the lanolin or the scent idk, but after an hour I felt like I just had to wash my face, I'm guessing the lanolin coat left behind, and I did feel better.

I'll know soon, since I have 4 tubs of soaps waiting for me that contain lanolin. At least I know that a through wash of the face post help if it's the culprit, but that's pretty stupid, having to wash soap off with more soap....

Today's Shave -

Tallow and Steel Morocco
Gillette Rocket HD
APShave Co 24mm SynBad
Williams Aqua Velva

yeah! That made up for yesterday in spades!

Rest of the days

It's been busy getting ready for the trip and managing the business. We released an new content module yesterday and already working on the next one. One of my partners just had a baby and has bicep tendon repair coming up. So like it or not our key guy just isn't going to be there for a while. Not a great situation, and I feel shitty because I should be happy for him.

It's going to be great to get away for a bit. We plan to see the Giant Sequoias this trip and I just love the Sierra's still the most beautiful place in the world to me.

Ah life...life happens gosh darn it m, and it’s usually annoying! I have a hard time letting go of stuff like that too sometimes, even if it is out of my control.

The trips sounds great though! The weather is just starting to warm up here. Don’t forget to post some pics!

For sure I owe DaveinKY some Avon pics anyway!

We got some sudden snow today, totally looking forward to getting back home for a bit. We'll probably be in Sac Easter weekend.

Todays Shave! -

Today's shave gets an ! because it was stellar.

Tallow and Steel West Indies (v.2 base)
Gibbs Adjustable
Gillette Sputnik (modified to fit the Gibbs)
APShaveCo 24mm SynBad
Myrsol F/Extra
Tallow and Steel West Indies Splash

This was the smoothest, closest, best feeling shave on my skin I've had in weeks.

If you haven't tried a Gibbs, IMO you're really missing something, by far the smoothest most efficient razor in my den. I don't pull it out as often because the handle isn't original and feels like cheap plastic in the hand.

But that will soon be fixed! I've sourced some beautiful Ebonite and have a friend that can turn it for me. More on that as it happens.

Seriously though, the Gibbs is just stupidly good I say as I type with one hand because I can't stop fondling my face.

Rest of the Day -

Well I'm posting early, so more like start of the day. Man I'm glad I worked a long last few days, because I'm caught up now and can focus on getting ready for the long trip ahead. Even got more than 8 hours of sleep and it was glorious.

Off to the gym soon, pressing day today, everyone's favorite.

Best of the day to the rest of the Cadre!

Back