The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

New Contest! UPDATE! We now have 2 Winners!

Well done @mrdoug ! That is an impressive price point for just scent for a soap. So I guess the $17 soap might possibly maybe kinda not using the good stuff then ;) ?

So, if my calculations are right.....

$128.68 / $4,964.38 = .025 (or 2.5% of the bottle)

.025 * 16 oz = .4 oz

So your saying you need to use .4 oz of Mysore Sandalwood oil to scent 4oz of soap, right? That's 10%. That seems like a lot.

Most soaps are scented at the 2%-5% range, correct? So, why does it take so much Mysore to scent the soap? I guess I assumed it would be a stronger scented oil.

And Congrats @mrdoug !!

Last edited:
So, if my calculations are right.....

$128.68 / $4,964.38 = .025 (or 2.5% of the bottle)

.025 * 16 oz = .4 oz

So your saying you need to use .4 oz of Mysore Sandalwood oil to scent 4oz of soap, right? That's 10%. That seems like a lot.

Most soaps are scented at the 2%-5% range, correct? So, why does it take so much Mysore to scent the soap? I guess I assumed it would be a stronger scented oil.

And Congrats @mrdoug !!

Hi KJ

Yeah I normally use 6% in my soaps but after doing using that percentage with the Melange Di Agrume which is using all citrus top notes I realized I had to allow for the burn off. So that’s why I include a bottle of the Aroma blend with each jar as that the person can control the scent strength. Also with that said looking back if I had used the more non conventional method of slow and low I could have gotten more scent strength out of it and when it’s time to make another batch I’ll try it.

So with the Sandalwood I basically had to use 10% for 4 oz of soap to get nice projection out of the soap and again I used the low and slow on this and would if I ever make it.

I think if your using Fragrance oils or Aroma chemicals you could use a lower percentage as you mentioned but from my conversations with some well known soap maker friends. 5% is pretty standard but of course their are variables.

So yeah we are looking at around $130 just for the Mysore and that was not accounting for shipping from India to the US into consideration.

Hope all is well with you and ring me up some time it’s been a while since we had a phone chat.

😊👍🏼

I'm reminded of a scene from "Arachnophobia" with Jeff Daniels, talking about a bottle of wine in his collection.....

Dr. Ross Jennings: Easy, easy with that. Don't want to agitate the sediments. Chateau Margaux, 127 bucks a bottle.
Mover: Tasty, huh?
Dr. Ross Jennings: At that price, who can afford to drink it?

I'm reminded of a scene from "Arachnophobia" with Jeff Daniels, talking about a bottle of wine in his collection.....

Dr. Ross Jennings: Easy, easy with that. Don't want to agitate the sediments. Chateau Margaux, 127 bucks a bottle.
Mover: Tasty, huh?
Dr. Ross Jennings: At that price, who can afford to drink it?
Love that movie

NEW UPDATE:
The winner of this contest @mrdoug has sent me a very thoughtful message and request saying that he would like to pass his prize on to @dangerousdon as a gift to celebrate his 2nd child’s birth. A very kind gesture for sure!

Something got mixed up here Frank... As far as I know, this is Don's first child.

Congrats my friend, a little something new for you-time (as little of it as you'll get).

Something got mixed up here Frank... As far as I know, this is Don's first child.

Congrats my friend, a little something new for you-time (as little of it as you'll get).
Thank you so much @mrdoug !!! This is su h a surprise! I am so grateful for The Cadre and the generous spirit that is so often shown here at TSC. Thanks Paul for this wonderful gesture!

Back