The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My Straight Razor Shaving journey

In regards to shaving your Adam's Apple.... the skin on the neck is very loose and can be moved left, right, up, down, wherever you want. So pull the skin off the Adam's Apple and move it to a flat spot on your neck to shave it. Then pull it the other direction and repeat to make sure you got it all. This also applies to any curved surface like your chin/jawline if you're having issues keeping blade angle constant over the radius.

This week's shave started out really great. I was getting a great shave and feeling much more comfortable until... I came in a little too fast and went straight into my chin. Looks like I will be using DEs for a little while

If I know a cut is coming, I usually don't watch the video, but I'm a subscriber, so I just averted my eyes when you were around your chin, so your analytics would get a full view.. You're already nearing 300 subs! I'm really enjoying following your journey! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

If I know a cut is coming, I usually don't watch the video, but I'm a subscriber, so I just averted my eyes when you were around your chin, so your analytics would get a full view.. You're already nearing 300 subs! I'm really enjoying following your journey! Thanks for posting.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Thank you for the watch. I should’ve quit while I was ahead.

I revisited the razor that bit me last week. I know it was my fault but I had to get back on the saddle. The whole shave was a lot better experience than last time. My confidence was a little low, but I feel better. Thank you for all of your support and advice.

Although I have admittedly not tried many straight razors, I think I have found the blade style i like the most. I was able to get my hands on a Wade and Butcher 5/8 and it is my new favorite razor.

I made it to SRS #100. It has taken awhile because I still use DEs. I feel much more comfortable and prefer straights to DEs for a close shave. Thank you @BarberDave and everyone else for your support and tips.

Great job! I use a DE a lot more these days but I agree there is nothing like a straight razor for closeness and comfort. Somewhere on your journey from 100 to 1000 your speed will pick up to a point where time spent shaving isn't an obstacle or concern. The whole process of preparing your face, preparing and maintaining the razor and the post shave care (of your face and the razor) really ads a a certain Zen to your life...enjoy the journey.

Great job! I use a DE a lot more these days but I agree there is nothing like a straight razor for closeness and comfort. Somewhere on your journey from 100 to 1000 your speed will pick up to a point where time spent shaving isn't an obstacle or concern. The whole process of preparing your face, preparing and maintaining the razor and the post shave care (of your face and the razor) really ads a a certain Zen to your life...enjoy the journey.
I have to admit I do spend more time lathering than I really need to. It's me time

Back