The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

My Straight Razor Shaving journey

Thank you for the comments I received on my Youtube channel. Here is video #2. I have to admit I was not at 100% when I did this shave. I think it went well, but I felt a lot more awkward. I don't know if I was overthinking it or what was wrong. Your advice is appreciated.

Thank you for the comments I received on my Youtube channel. Here is video #2. I have to admit I was not at 100% when I did this shave. I think it went well, but I felt a lot more awkward. I don't know if I was overthinking it or what was wrong. Your advice is appreciated.
I recorded in 60fps. Trying to reduce file size now

I completed shave #9 this last weekend. This was my first full shave without using a DE. I think it went well. I still see a lot of room for improvement. Thank you to @Bill M for the edge on the Gold Dollar 66. I have reached out to Kirk for one of the razors he wanted to move on. I am expecting it early next week.

Welcome to TSC! I also served in the Navy (JO2) before cashing in and using the (original) GI Bill. Never had a burning desire for a PhD, so I stopped at MSN (Nursing Informatics). Retired last summer after 34 years full time employment. Have you met @NurseDave ? He started in the ER, too.

I really enjoyed your video. I'm going to go back and check out your first one. Again, welcome. :)

Welcome to TSC! I also served in the Navy (JO2) before cashing in and using the (original) GI Bill. Never had a burning desire for a PhD, so I stopped at MSN (Nursing Informatics). Retired last summer after 34 years full time employment. Have you met @NurseDave ? He started in the ER, too.

I really enjoyed your video. I'm going to go back and check out your first one. Again, welcome. :)
Very nice to hear from another squid and nurse. I started down informatics line in its infancy but it wasn’t for me. I have had a few messages with @NurseDave as well as watching his videos but I haven’t met him.

That's quite a leap to the Weck, so soon! I'd always been warned away from those until I was accomplished with a straight. Those things look very demanding!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That's quite a leap to the Weck, so soon! I'd always been warned away from those until I was accomplished with a straight. Those things look very demanding!

I am too stupid to abide to the warnings. I am a trauma nurse by trade and like to live "on the edge". I was went from using a DE for less than a year right into straights. I like to live outside the "normal".

I actually found it smoother gliding across the face. Probably due to its level of sharpness.

Have a great week

Thank you to @NurseDave for using a Weck last week. I pulled one out, loaded a Fromm blade in it and continued my journey. I had a little bit of blood, but not bad at all. Thank you all for you encouragement and advice.

Nice Job with the weck, you are coming along very nicely!

Quite the opposite. I find the Weck to be easier than a true straight. The edge is more forgiving.

@BarberDave, looks like he needs a Veteran Badge!
That's very interesting. I've seen it presented as a very unforgiving razor, ill-suited to open blade novices. That's whats mainly dissuaded me from exploring a shavette. Thank you for letting me know your view. I value your experience highly, as it is extensive, thoughtful and very different from mine. I would have never considered shaving in a kayak, yet watching you do it is one of my all time favorite shaving videos.

That's very interesting. I've seen it presented as a very unforgiving razor, ill-suited to open blade novices. That's whats mainly dissuaded me from exploring a shavette. Thank you for letting me know your view. I value your experience highly, as it is extensive, thoughtful and very different from mine. I would have never considered shaving in a kayak, yet watching you do it is one of my all time favorite shaving videos.

I think if you go without the guard the blade can flex a bit more, making it more forgiving. Still, it's crazy sharp. I have heard the Kismet blade really amps it up

Back