The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Most regretted blind buy?

Highland Springs Soap Co Havana Aftershave/ Balm - the scent just isn’t my bag (though by the description it was - YMMV) but also somehow the seal broke (not the fault of the vendor) and half the contents had leaked on the inside -so I spilled it all over me when I opened the package.

I bought a Fendrihan Robusto puck because it is from the same manufacturer in the Netherlands as the original Fine 3x puck, which is a fave product of mine. I didn’t pick up in the description what it was a dupe of, but the Bavarian hat in the label should have been the clue…Tabac. Not a fan at all. Still sitting in the drawer.

For me it was Dr Jon’s Strangelove soap and aftershave. I used it once and was not a fan of the fragrance at all.
I was always wanted that - I have the other 3 soaps in the series - and there is a set for sale on Murphy & McNeil for about a year - but I never pulled the trigger on it because = while I love the movie and wanted to finish the set- the scent notes really gave me pause

I'd say it was a "quick" purchase from a company that had just e-mailed me to say they were ending their service, but would still make sales at decent prives for the remaining days. I acted..well...quickly to buy their Tobacco And Leather soap. It was 90% Tobacco, 10% Leather. 50-50 of both would have been fine, but I like leather more than tobacco. Lousy purchase. After one try it found its way into the trash.

Worst for me was just because of something I picked up scent wise that others didn't so not a strike on the soap. Was looking for another coffee scent and got Stirling Vanilla Bean Espresso but to my nose it was rancid. Traded it to an insistent member elsewhere who on getting said it was just like the one he had and smelled awesome. Shows how sensitive and different scents can be to different people.
That Stoylin didn't work for you, eh? Yes, I agree on your last point. In fact, my nose is in the minority on Stoylin Gentleman....apparently quite popular, but not to me.

Baume.be soap

Didn't even lather up! Used it up as a pre shave soap!
Sorry to hear that.... I have been using their cream and their pre-shave.... I love them both. And cream lathers up very well for me in my shaving bowl.

OK... when our son told me he was sending me a razor, I knew I would need some shaving soap. I hadn't use any since the early 90's or so. I did what I often do.... I went to Amazon and read countless reviews. I ended up with Proraso White and RazoRock Mudder Focker. Since then, I've found the forums and FB shaving groups. I'm getting sound advice. All the soaps and creams I've purchased subsequently have been substantially better than those two.

I'm going to give them to our youngest son.... the one mentioned above. He only shaves around his beard so the soap won't matter all that much.

Sorry you didn't like it. Makes me wonder though if other GIT dupes are better.
The one's I've used are MUCH better than what Creed was selling (Phoenix Shaving, Wet Shaving Products, etc.). IIRC Creed's foray into the shave soap realm didn't last very long.

Back