The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Mitchells Wool Fat

Water, Potassium Stearate, Glycerine, Potassium Cocoate, Sodium Silicate, Boric Acid, Fragrance, Lanolin Alcohol, Acetylated Lanolin, Pentasodium Pentetate, Tetrasodium Editronate, & colourings.

Ingredient list.
Is that the ingredient list for the Williams cream? So, they didn’t actually use “lanolin-25” rather they used the same types of lanolin (lanolin alcohol and acetylated lanolin) used in skin care products for the last 100yrs. I don’t know when that cream was first developed, perhaps that was cutting edge back then.

Maybe the “25” referred to which hydroxyl group(s) the -COCH3 reacted with to produce the acetylated lanolin?

The bigger take away here is they clearly didn’t just mix in some lanolin and call it good.

I wonder if MFW’s listing “lanolin” in the ingredient list means they use raw/refined lanolin rather than lanolin alcohol or acetylated lanolin?

According to ChatGPT:

Lanolin Processing Guide

User
If I was to process lanolin to get these two ingredients, Lanolin Alcohol and Acetylated Lanolin, how would I do it?

ChatGPT
To obtain Lanolin Alcohol and Acetylated Lanolin from lanolin, you would need to go through a series of chemical processes. Here's a general overview of the steps involved:

Lanolin Extraction: Lanolin is a wax-like substance found in sheep's wool. The first step is to extract lanolin from the wool. This is typically done using an organic solvent extraction method, where the wool is washed with a suitable solvent, such as hexane or petroleum ether, to remove the lanolin.

Purification: The extracted lanolin may contain impurities such as dirt, wool grease, or other contaminants. Purification is carried out to remove these impurities. The lanolin is usually filtered and subjected to various purification techniques like centrifugation or vacuum distillation.

Hydrolysis: Lanolin primarily consists of esters, which need to be hydrolyzed to obtain the desired ingredients. Hydrolysis involves the reaction of lanolin with an alkaline solution, such as sodium hydroxide (NaOH). This process breaks down the ester bonds, resulting in the formation of lanolin alcohol and fatty acids.

Separation: After hydrolysis, the resulting mixture will contain lanolin alcohol, fatty acids, and other components. Separation techniques such as solvent extraction or fractional distillation can be used to isolate lanolin alcohol from the mixture. This step helps separate it from the fatty acids and other byproducts.

Acetylation: To obtain acetylated lanolin, the lanolin alcohol is chemically modified by acetylation. Acetylation involves reacting the lanolin alcohol with acetic anhydride or acetyl chloride in the presence of a catalyst, such as pyridine. This process introduces acetyl groups onto the lanolin alcohol molecules, resulting in the formation of acetylated lanolin.

Purification and Drying: The resulting lanolin alcohol and acetylated lanolin may still contain some impurities. Further purification techniques like filtration or recrystallization can be used to obtain pure forms of the ingredients. Finally, the purified substances are typically dried to remove any residual moisture.

It's important to note that the specific conditions, reagents, and equipment used in these processes may vary depending on the desired quality and scale of production. If you are planning to carry out these procedures, it's advisable to consult detailed scientific literature, protocols, or seek guidance from professionals experienced in lanolin processing.
That's a pretty comprehensive sounding output. Fact checking that info would be a big job. But I've gotten to where I'm lobbing questions at ChatGPT all the time. I have encountered a couple of invented sources and facts, but for brainstorming, it's an incredible tool.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Is that the ingredient list for the Williams cream? So, they didn’t actually use “lanolin-25” rather they used the same types of lanolin (lanolin alcohol and acetylated lanolin) used in skin care products for the last 100yrs. I don’t know when that cream was first developed, perhaps that was cutting edge back then.

Maybe the “25” referred to which hydroxyl group(s) the -COCH3 reacted with to produce the acetylated lanolin?

The bigger take away here is they clearly didn’t just mix in some lanolin and call it good.
This was from their "golden yellow" shaving cream, the 'other' Williams high lanolin cream, and a replacement for the lanotrate25 cream. I'm going to have my brother-in-law send me the ingredient list for the lanotrate25 cream.

If I had to guess, lanotrate25 is their made-up word for lanolin acetate, and the '25' is a reference to the 25x concentration.

My takeaway is that lanolin doesn't like to mix with other stuff very well in large quantities. By using a concentrated version, they were able to add more lanolin without having the shaving cream fall apart. I'm not sure this is a concern with soft or hard soaps. That would be a question for a soapmaker.
I wonder if MFW’s listing “lanolin” in the ingredient list means they use raw/refined lanolin rather than lanolin alcohol or acetylated lanolin?
Mitchell's uses regular USP grade lanolin as far as I know. It's not in the same league as that vintage Williams cream, if that's what you're asking. That is, without a doubt, the slickest lather I've used in nearly 20 years of wet shaving.

That's a pretty comprehensive sounding output. Fact checking that info would be a big job. But I've gotten to where I'm lobbing questions at ChatGPT all the time. I have encountered a couple of invented sources and facts, but for brainstorming, it's an incredible tool.

Well, a person can just go out and order Lanolin Acetate and Alcohol Lanolin, and a few other lanolin based things that weren't around when Williams was playing around with this stuff.

So I probably could have done without asking ChatGPT about it. But it's quite clear a basic lab set-up with distiller is needed to refine lanolin, if one was starting from scratch.

Well, a person can just go out and order Lanolin Acetate and Alcohol Lanolin, and a few other lanolin based things that weren't around when Williams was playing around with this stuff.

So I probably could have done without asking ChatGPT about it. But it's quite clear a basic lab set-up with distiller is needed to refine lanolin, if one was starting from scratch.
I suspect that in a short time, regularly consulting an AI system will be too common to even mention. We'll be too busy trying to get a handle on all the disruption. It did clarify a part of the Theory of Special Relativity for me that I have been unsuccessfully studying for years, so I have seen a benefit.

Got a reply back from my brother-in-law, and the Williams with 'Lanotrate25' does not have an ingredient list on the tube or box.

I assume it uses the same lanolin extracts as the Golden Yellow shaving cream.

A friend of mine recently wrote to Kent and they confirmed that every batch after 9265 has been produced without tallow.
Do you guys have any info on the not so good batch(es) from 2020? batchnumbers would help a ton.

I’m going to be in a local shop on Monday that carries Kent. Fingers crossed that there are a couple pucks of the good stuff on the shelves.

Back