The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Michael Phillip’s Wet Shaving Journey

It was really cool trying out your edges, they are all very good and it’s obvious that you take your time and are quite detailed. I’d be glad to do several more exchanges so you can test my edges too.

Glad to chat straight razors anytime and thank you or darn you for dragging me kicking and screaming into Jnats!

Back in post #38 I mentioned something called the 1K Challenge. For those unfamiliar with it, the idea is that most of the sharpness of a straight razor is achieved by setting the bevel. If the bevel is set well, you should be able to shave with the razor. This is something often overlooked by new honers like myself. I have been encouraged to start a thread about the 1K Challenge, please let me know if there’s any interest.

Today’s shave was two passes with a 1K edge. The razor arrived last week from eBay for under thirty dollars including shipping, the needed some work.

Razor: Thistle Cutlery 5/8 honed on my 1K (yes, 1K, that’s not a typo)
Soap: Calante for Crowne and Crane, a new scent
Brush: Maggards SHD Badger.
Bowl: Captain’s Choice

View attachment 90730
Me after my 1K challenge…

Great stuff Mike, really foundational. I do think I should give it a try my self. I’d like to see the thread!

Back