The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Michael Phillip’s Wet Shaving Journey

Michael Phillip

Shave Member
This Boker King Cutter is my very first traditional razor. For me shaving with a cartridge razor was uncomfortable, the first shave was not too bad, but after that the tugging got increasingly painful. For many years I thought about getting a straight razor so that I would always have a freshly stropped edge. I finally took the plunge in 2019. Unbeknownst to me, I was about to learn about “Factory” edges and the challenges involved in honing a straight (or should I say not-so-straight) razor. But this is a story for another time. - Mike

44B4BEBC-C617-4391-8CBF-3696AFCDB5E7.jpeg

You should join one of our Sunday Zoom calls - we often discuss very little that has to do with shaving and more of what Matt is buying at the liquor store!
@ heysi FIFY
Pretty much..... When I let you guys come along. Though, when I do, I have to keep @BarberDave & @Majorrich from talking to all the people I come within earshot of... LOL

Last edited:
Hi Mike! Welcome to the journals section! I'm no good at journals , but I do enjoy posting videos, which are basically video journals(whatever same thing).

Honing a razor that's not flat is not much fun, but it sure teaches you a lot and sometimes you learn new colorful, descriptive language to describe the experience to your friends....

Nice first straight razor and that brush looks lovely! I'll be eagerly watching for new entries.

This Boker King Cutter is my very first traditional razor. For me shaving with a cartridge razor was uncomfortable, the first shave was not too bad, but after that the tugging got increasingly painful. For many years I thought about getting a straight razor so that I would always have a freshly stropped edge. I finally took the plunge in 2019. Unbeknownst to me, I was about to learn about “Factory” edges and the challenges involved in honing a straight (or should I say not-so-straight) razor. But this is a story for another time. - Mike

View attachment 86688
BAM!!! Way to come out swinging for the fences! 🤩

While I now have a soft spot for Boker straight razors, it was not love a first shave. The factory edge on my new Boker King Cutter tugged as badly as my cartridge razor. After several very uncomfortable shaves, I went back to the shop where I purchased it to see about getting it honed. The guys at the knife shop bent over backwards to help me, but at the end of the day they are “knife guys”, not straight razor guys. And as we all know the edge on a knife is very different thing, than the edge on a straight razor. I am very grateful to have such a great local knife shop that carries some straight razors.

E092940A-765E-413C-BD54-895B604A4472.jpeg

After watching numerous YouTube videos of guys getting wonderful, close, and effortless straight razor shaves, it is no surprise that I was dejected after several weeks of disappointing shaves with my straight razor. This is when decided to change gears and I bought a DE razor, a Edwin Jagger DE 89. I spent the next 8 - 12 months exploring the world of new and vintage DE razors. I have amassed meager collection DE razors that includes several vintage Gillette razors, a Segal, a brass Karve, a Henson and several others. I started with an assortment of DE blades and quickly learned my preference is for sharper blades like the Gillette Platinum and Perma-Sharp. Even when using a “disposable blade” straight razor like my Focus Slim the milder blades don’t cut it (pun intended).

598F19A2-3EF6-4508-8F06-127CAC7B035F.jpeg

I really enjoy traditional shaving and in fact I claim more than a dozen converts of friends and family to wet shaving. Many brushes, razors, and artisan soaps were purchased under the ‘pretense” of gift giving, and some of them were actually given away. For x-mas all of my brother in laws got a handmade leather dopp kit with a compete shaving setup. If I get invited to a “White Elephant” gift exchange, you can bet that someone will be going home with some wet shaving gear. One of the things I find the most fascinating about wet shaving is that everyone has a different approach to it. Everyone I have introduced to wet shaving has taken to it differently, most have kept things simple, some have ordered a number of different shaving soaps, others have gone high end, and one friend just wanted a chrome shaving set that match his bathroom.

I very seldom use a DE razor these days, but on the occasions that I do, I will most likely use the Karve with the C Plate and a Perma sharp blade.

A fantastic explanation of your personal wetshaving history and evangelism! I’ll have to do a write up on how I got where I am in my journal too.

Mike continue to preach the good word and covertly rabbit hole your family and friends, well done!

A fantastic explanation of your personal wetshaving history and evangelism! I’ll have to do a write up on how I got where I am in my journal too.

Mike continue to preach the good word and covertly rabbit hole your family and friends, well done!
Thanks Matt, for the last few weeks we have been goin back to the office. I recently converted 3 more, including two full beards.

Aww man, congratulations on #300! I wish I had tracked my shaves, but I’m somewhere in the 1000+ range by now. Really nice setup for your shave today, BTW!

Also, darn you and your Japanese razor mind games 😂

Aww man, congratulations on #300! I wish I had tracked my shaves, but I’m somewhere in the 1000+ range by now. Really nice setup for your shave today, BTW!

Also, darn you and your Japanese razor mind games 😂
Thanks Matt, don’t worry about the Japanese razors, I sure that they are similar to the Swedish and Spanish razors. I don’t yet have a Philly or CV Heljestrand, but one day I will.

Back