The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Martin de Candre Original

Longhaultanker

Sr. Shave Member
I’ve been searching for a domestic vendor who sells Martin de Candre Original and has it in stock. Most US vendors don’t. One could go directly to MdC in France, but why?

My real question: I found said soap at
Pasteur Pharmacy Online Store in NYC and ordered it. Any members here have experience ordering from this place?

I do - they are a great biz….. it used to be a right of passage before COVID to take a trek to one of their two stores in NYC. They have great customer service in my experience - and relatively quick shipping. I’m a little closer to them geographically - but I wouldn’t imagine that would increase shipping times much.

I second everyone's comments, buy with confidence from Pasteure's.

I have purchased direct from Martin de Candre before and their shipping didn't take too terribly long. The bath soaps are nice, but dang are they strongly scented! I love their Fougere.

I used to visit Pasteurs mid-town store when I worked in NYC. I moved and was happy when they started an online business. I have been ordering shaving and other supplies from them for the past few years and have always gotten fast service. I particularly like the fact that they carry a tremendous number of soaps at the same price as the soap vendor. I usually combine my orders and get free shipping.

I come confessing early faults and transgressions as a straight razor shaver. So many of my early purchases were from Amazon and eBay. I didn’t frequent the artisans or specialty vendors. Only when I wanted a particular thing I’d go to the vendors like Dan's Whetstone. Now after seven years with straights I’m exploring new avenues. Hence my ignorance of Pasteur’s. Help me, my friends for I have erred.

I come confessing early faults and transgressions as a straight razor shaver. So many of my early purchases were from Amazon and eBay. I didn’t frequent the artisans or specialty vendors. Only when I wanted a particular thing I’d go to the vendors like Dan's Whetstone. Now after seven years with straights I’m exploring new avenues. Hence my ignorance of Pasteur’s. Help me, my friends for I have erred.
Many specialty vendors have Amazon and eBay shops, so they ain’t necessarily bad. Plus ordering in those places is a breeze. I only order from three specialty shops regularly. Maggards, Smallflower, and Pasteur’s. I prefer specialty shops for that extra mom and pop touch, hard to find items, samples, and cutting out the middleman. But sometimes I go where the deals are. It’s a big internet.

Go forth my Son, and sin no more.

@Longhaultanker
I saw your video with MDC original, did you make vids on the other ones you bought? Also, now that you had some time with it, what are your thoughts?
Dear brother: I’m in Los Angeles this morning. Been using Angora’s Midnight Lavender on the road. The MdC are home and I’ve only used it once. My beginning courtship with MdC I suspect will be lengthy as I didn’t intend to bring them on the road with me. Oh the life of a LONGHAULTANKER. However, I think i didn’t give the first try with the original a fair shake. I didn’t soak the puck before use. Next use I will soak in hot water as my other soaps. My next home shave I'm going all French. PLISSON, MdC, and may be Spartacus, buddy! Oh yeah.

Dear brother: I’m in Los Angeles this morning. Been using Angora’s Midnight Lavender on the road. The MdC are home and I’ve only used it once. My beginning courtship with MdC I suspect will be lengthy as I didn’t intend to bring them on the road with me. Oh the life of a LONGHAULTANKER. However, I think i didn’t give the first try with the original a fair shake. I didn’t soak the puck before use. Next use I will soak in hot water as my other soaps. My next home shave I'm going all French. PLISSON, MdC, and may be Spartacus, buddy! Oh yeah.
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing that beauty get some work in! Safe travels!

Back