The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

MacGuire & Jago

Jaro1069

TSC's Cheerleader
Veteran
i picked one of this brand straights up today in the wild for 2.50 light surface rust cleaned with scrubbing bubbles and light steel wool needs scales because one of them was replaced with thin cheap wood on one side. i either need to get a set of replacements or make a pair this will be my first scales replacement. any tips? i will post pics soon in current state.BTW only one scale is in need of replacement, would it be best to just replace both sides or just the one? there is nothing special about the scales just standard black

If you search around you can find replacements like this...

I have made them from materials like wood, bone and an old plastic clip board. You will have to either learn to pin or use micro bolts and nuts.

You could also contact @uacowboy who will do professional job (plus he is a great guy).

If you search around you can find replacements like this...

I have made them from materials like wood, bone and an old plastic clip board. You will have to either learn to pin or use micro bolts and nuts.

You could also contact @uacowboy who will do professional job (plus he is a great guy).
thank you i knew i could count on you for telling me the right thing to do.. and like i said in your pass around just a moment ago sorry the kai clone got brought up in your thread... its the one from shears direct they are talking about btw..

Not too bad. I haven't looked up the manufacturer to find the quality of steel, but at the very least it'll clean up nicely.

As for the scales, I second going to Kyle @uacowboy. He's got a couple of my straights, one getting new shoes so we can go dancing. He does great work.

i have already removed the blade from scales and cleaned up the tang since those photos.

That definitely looks like quite an undertaking...but I am sure it will turn out great!

I guess i should mention that what looks like pitting on the blade Isnt, that is just staining that i have to clean up. The blade is smooth to the touch on the sides... So thats a plus !!!!!

I would recommend replacing both so the fit is right. Otherwise you could end up wis centering problems. As for size, if the old scales seemed to fit it well lengthwise use that as a basis for ordering some if you're going premade.

i was planning on getting some that were already made but if i couldn't find any i was thinking of making some.
I dont even know how to figure out the size of the scales, heck i dont even know if this is a 5/8 or 6/8 or what..... this is my first "real" time trying, the other razor i messed with i was just messing around because i knew the blade was probably to far gone and it was being thrown away anyway so i figured what the heck. right?

oh and i almost forgot, just to go ahead and get it out of the way i checked the scales from the one with the bad blade and they are to short for this razor.

Not too bad. I haven't looked up the manufacturer to find the quality of steel, but at the very least it'll clean up nicely.

As for the scales, I second going to Kyle @uacowboy. He's got a couple of my straights, one getting new shoes so we can go dancing. He does great work.
yep i'm trying to keep the cost low on this one though so i'm gonna try to find a set of used scales (plastic or whatever) or something for this one since i don't know anything about the quality of the steel and don't want to have more in it than its worth.....

I would recommend replacing both so the fit is right. Otherwise you could end up wis centering problems. As for size, if the old scales seemed to fit it well lengthwise use that as a basis for ordering some if you're going premade.
i figured i would just replace the whole set at once and not try to reuse the original one especially since its cracked beside the pin anyway. like i said in my other post i'm trying to just find a used set that were taken off ( plastic or whatever) that someone replaced with nicer scales because i know nothing of the quality of the steel and don't want to put more in it than it could be worth. i'm just doing this one for personal use anyway. thanks for the info...

So the width is just the actual width of the blade from the edge to the top of the spine. As for measuring the blade for used scales, I would measure from the pivot hole to the point of the blade. If there is already a wedge the just make sure that number is smaller than the pivot to the wedge.

Also I think maggards has some replacement scales for about $10. Might be worth looking at for you unless you find something cheaper.

Now as to the razor's history, can't find anything in my normal sources but is sounds like that may have been made in Sheffield and stamped for a company in Glasgow to sell. The company looks to have been a saw and tool maker in the late 1800s and early 1900s so the may have made it or may not have. Either way I'm guessing the steel is probably pretty decent. So as long as the geometry I'd good it should be a nice shaver.

Now as to the razor's history, can't find anything in my normal sources but is sounds like that may have been made in Sheffield and stamped for a company in Glasgow to sell. The company looks to have been a saw and tool maker in the late 1800s and early 1900s so the may have made it or may not have. Either way I'm guessing the steel is probably pretty decent. So as long as the geometry I'd good it should be a nice shaver.
thank you for the info i will check into it and i will let you know what i find out.

If you are looking to keep the cost to a minimum and get the razor back in action ASAP you might check out Maggards Razors, they have (or had) simple scales with a wedge/spacer already installed and pins available. I know you have already taken the blade out and scrubbed it free of surface rust but if you want to dissolve rust in the future you can use "evaporust" to remove and inhibit rust in places you may not be able to sand or scrub. The Evaporust produces a nice surface patina too, you might choose to polish that and leave it.

I don't know anything about that brand specifically but most vintage blades I've run across are made of good steel and that one looks like it is in decent condition. I like the thumb notch and jimps, reminds me of some of the Swedish MK's . The Show side hone ware is a little off, when you get ready to hone it (or have it honed) I would put black marker on the spine and edge to monitor how the blade is making contact with the hone. That's going to be a fun razor.

Back