The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Luv2shave's shave journal

An ebay purchase. Possibly bone scales. Lots of rust fortunately no pitting near the edge.

When viewing down the toe along the edge, the planes of the spine and the edge were a prominent X :(

Last one week spent watching s lot of videos on correction of such razors.

Finally came down to removing metal gradually using the chosera 400 using a sharpie and a finally got to a point where there is a usable edge. Some 6 mm on the heel on the face doesn't have the edge, the other side does. Would mean removing some more metal so tried rolling x strokes and got some part of it covered.

Took it through progression up to naniwa 12k. Low scratch marks and a nice mirror finish through the loupe.

30 laps on linen and 40 on leather.

Had a smooth edge and an excellent 3 pass shave with tallow tabac shave stick / Zenith manchurian badger.

Felt excellent all over. Alum gave feedback on the face indicating it was a sharp edge.

I will remove the sandpaper scratches at a later date when I get these scratched uglies to jewel level shines!
20220624_205241.jpg
20220625_134708.jpg

I've been on the shave forum B&B for a number of years and seen them observe Torrey Tuesday's.

In the last few weeks when I set out to buy ebay SRs on a budget, Torrey was on my list. No restored or honed polished SRs, only working ones so I could hone them and shave with them.

Today I cleaned up this Torrey for some light water marks, microchips on the edge, set a bevel and took it through my progression.

This razor took a very sharp edge. One of the sharpest I've been able to hone so far. A two pass BBS shave with multiple angles of touch ups. Very satisfied to see the quality of the edge today.

The fools pass was like hot knife through butter, a good indicator that it was a nice edge

1656434075713.jpg

Well done! One of the first razors I ever restored was a Torrey! It did take a great edge as well. The only straight razor that was passed down to me was my paternal great grandfather’s Torrey. It came to me heavily rusted and had broken scales, but I took my time with it and it will last another generation.

1656464054651.jpeg

Happy Torrey Tuesday my friend!

Well done! One of the first razors I ever restored was a Torrey! It did take a great edge as well. The only straight razor that was passed down to me was my paternal great grandfather’s Torrey. It came to me heavily rusted and had broken scales, but I took my time with it and it will last another generation.

View attachment 87207

Happy Torrey Tuesday my friend!
That is a beauty Matt.

Once the honing learning curve is behind me, I will get in to some minimal restoration the scratched uglies which survive the abuse. Still time, slowly and gradually.

Today was another vintage razor. But not one from ebay, this was from Whipped Dog way back in 2010 when I got in touch with Larry and purchased a sight unseen razor and a poor man's strop kit. This Strutz & Clottu Chicago is one of the razors I received.

This is one of the razors I learned how to straight shave with in 2010.

Brought it out today, cleaned up some patina, killed the edge Larry had put on this a dozen years ago and had a go at it with my humble hone progression.

I noticed that the honing was quite complex on this one. The heel and the toe were not sitting flat on the hones. Put my learning to good use and managed to put a nice end to end edge on it. The razor was excessively toe leaning honed perhaps by its original owner a century ago.

Off the Naniwa 12k, 20 strops on the Razor emporium Canvas and 40 on the English Bridle. This strop has a lot of drag and takes some effort to strop.

The usual Tabac Shave Stick and Zenith Manchurian badger.

I was wowed by the edge again today. And I think what is making the difference apart from improved honing is the improved stropping as well. A very soft yet sharp edge. Excellent shave !

I wonder what this brand is, might be one of the commodity razors sold in those times, maybe a store brand - free to customers. No jimps, made it a bit tricky to hold, but nothing threatening.

20220629_205428.jpg20220629_205507.jpg

Great start to your journal!

The first straight I bought was also a sight unseen from Larry. It’s a Swedish razor called a Three Ranners. A bit heavier than most of my others, but a good shaver. I also scored a Torrey off the Bay that cleaned up well and holds a nice edge.

Tabac twice in a row. Someone send this guy some stuff that will allow him to actually enjoy shaving! ;)
I won't deny I am a huge Tabac faboy. The amount of Tabac I have is seriously insane. Vintage stock made in West Germany, stock from each tike the packing changed or the scent was diluted gently.

I decided to standardize on my soap and brush for my SR adventures to eliminate the variables involved.

Ah crap - just excuses. I am just a tabac fanboy ! :love:

Just a share. I am making a kind of show and tell glass cupboard to show some fine history of wet shaving. It is still under development and just stacked up for now.

Shaving mugs, bowls, vintage razors, rare razors, straight razor coffins in good shape (as and when I can find some in good condition).

After confessing to be a Tabac Fanboy yesterday - I think I may have an old spice shave mug AD !

20220519_191440.jpg20220519_191447.jpg20220524_195549.jpg20220524_195603.jpg20220524_195603.jpg20220524_195613.jpg20220524_195619.jpg20220524_195623.jpg

Back