The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Let’s Talk Weather

Yeah I heard that the Devil was hanging out in Las Vegas and was complaining about the heat and was overheard saying he needed to go back home To HELL where it was cooler !!

Hmmm, you made me go look. We pop up a little that day too, but nothing like that. I always assume that's too far out to be accurate.
Yea, I’m sure it will change. I hope it will change. It better change 😂

Supposed to be catching the tail end of Hilary sometime between tonight and Monday. Looks like the weather person is cautiously optimistic it’ll just be a mild tropical storm by then 😂
IMG_3513.jpeg

All our Cali and other areas affected by the storms rolling through let us know how you are doing.....

All our Cali and other areas affected by the storms rolling through let us know how you are doing.....
California is a big place. That storm isn’t touching up here.

We’ve had a nice light rain this last half of the day. The earthquake earlier this evening in Ojai caused more commotion, so far.

California is a big place. That storm isn’t touching up here.
I had heard that some of the rain was supposed to head up that way and maybe some winds.. I just wanted to check..
We’ve had a nice light rain this last half of the day. The earthquake earlier this evening in Ojai caused more commotion, so far.
Yeah I heard about the earthquake when it happened.. Sorry to hear aboit that. Lets hope that was the worst of it for you guys...

Has anyone heard how Chris is doing ? @CBLindsay ??

How about anyone else out that way getting affected ??

I had heard that some of the rain was supposed to head up that way and maybe some winds.. I just wanted to check..

Yeah I heard about the earthquake when it happened.. Sorry to hear aboit that. Lets hope that was the worst of it for you guys...

Has anyone heard how Chris is doing ? @CBLindsay ??

How about anyone else out that way getting affected ??
As is most often the case, the news hype is/was greater than the actual event. Don't get me wrong, we got a LOT of rain Saturday night through Sunday but the problem where I live and in larger metropolises like Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside is that we have VERY poor drainage plans and the drainage we DO have is so filled with trash (And homeless encampments) that they don't function properly.

The forecasts were calling for "high winds" in the 30-40 mph range, we barely got any wind at all until late last night and the wind speed was minimal. I live in a desert on the north side of the major mountain ranges so we get high winds on an almost daily basis. This weekend was AWESOME, no wind and a steady rain that brought temps down to the mid 70's. On my trip to the office this morning is was evident there was some flooding (dirt and debris in the roads and a few typical road closures) but it was dry and calm. Of course schools are closed, mostly because it wasn't possible to inspect all schools prior to opening today and an expectation that roads would make bussing a little more challenging. I think they expected much worse.

I haven't checked the news sights yet but I suspect there was more damage done to Catalina Island (a small island off the coast of Los Angeles) but they did a good job of evacuating tourist and preparing the island and docks on Saturday so it shouldn't have harmed people. We do have some burn scare areas that they were worried about but there was little news about anything significant happening.

That Ojai quake was a nice touch...tropical storm and a quake, all while fires burn far north in California. A 5.0 is a decent earthquake but usually doesn't do serious damage to infrastructure or buildings (unless they are very old). It is very common for a second larger earthquake to happen a day or 2 later and I think that is what people are most concerned about. I sent @BarberDave a video a couple years ago of our pool immediately post quake, the water was really rock'n and rollin'. That particular quake was larger and was felt further around.

Edit: I should note we have a couple members who live in or very near the Los Angeles area and they probably got a lot more rain. We got 3-5 inches in 24 hours. (at my house we got a little more than 5 inches)

As is most often the case, the news hype is/was greater than the actual event. Don't get me wrong, we got a LOT of rain Saturday night through Sunday but the problem where I live and in larger metropolises like Los Angeles, San Bernardino and Riverside is that we have VERY poor drainage plans and the drainage we DO have is so filled with trash (And homeless encampments) that they don't function properly.

The forecasts were calling for "high winds" in the 30-40 mph range, we barely got any wind at all until late last night and the wind speed was minimal. I live in a desert on the north side of the major mountain ranges so we get high winds on an almost daily basis. This weekend was AWESOME, no wind and a steady rain that brought temps down to the mid 70's. On my trip to the office this morning is was evident there was some flooding (dirt and debris in the roads and a few typical road closures) but it was dry and calm. Of course schools are closed, mostly because it wasn't possible to inspect all schools prior to opening today and an expectation that roads would make bussing a little more challenging. I think they expected much worse.

I haven't checked the news sights yet but I suspect there was more damage done to Catalina Island (a small island off the coast of Los Angeles) but they did a good job of evacuating tourist and preparing the island and docks on Saturday so it shouldn't have harmed people. We do have some burn scare areas that they were worried about but there was little news about anything significant happening.

That Ojai quake was a nice touch...tropical storm and a quake, all while fires burn far north in California. A 5.0 is a decent earthquake but usually doesn't do serious damage to infrastructure or buildings (unless they are very old). It is very common for a second larger earthquake to happen a day or 2 later and I think that is what people are most concerned about. I sent @BarberDave a video a couple years ago of our pool immediately post quake, the water was really rock'n and rollin'. That particular quake was larger and was felt further around.

Edit: I should note we have a couple members who live in or very near the Los Angeles area and they probably got a lot more rain. We got 3-5 inches in 24 hours. (at my house we got a little more than 5 inches)
Thanks for the thorough response.. I'm just glad that all you guys are okay who have replied so far.... For those that haven't replied , well , here's hoping all is well with you too....

The rain swept through Vegas in a few hours and only managed to flood the area behind the Linq hotel (which is where all the water in the valley seems to end up). It rained at my house really hard for about an hour and then just off and on through out sunday night very lightly. The hype (and over preparation) was excessive but I think its better to be over prepared than under.

Lots and lots of rain today with crazy wind. Actually a large part of the state has been on tornado watch. All remnants of Hillary apparently

Back