The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Kingfisher's open blade (straight razors and shavettes) journey

Falling back to what works, no complaint here! The fact that you have a soap named for you pretty much ensures that you have to keep doing this hobby no matter what! ?

As long as you are mixing the same micron size abrasives I see no problem mixing them. The most important thing about the balsa/paddle strop is to ensure it is FLAT with a capital F-L-A-T. The second most important thing is to avoid using too much of any abrasive. You want to rub the abrasive into the grain not leave it rolling around on the surface. FeOx tends to soak in a bit but diamond paste has to be rubbed in. If i recall correctly the CrOx is something like .5 microns. You could definitely shave off of a .5 micron edge and probably be very pleased, but a .1 micron edge has that special feel. Oddly enough the .25 diamond strop always left the edge feeling harsh, and i am not the only one to say so.

Falling back to what works, no complaint here! The fact that you have a soap named for you pretty much ensures that you have to keep doing this hobby no matter what!
1f61b.png
Amen, brother.

As long as you are mixing the same micron size abrasives I see no problem mixing them. The most important thing about the balsa/paddle strop is to ensure it is FLAT with a capital F-L-A-T. The second most important thing is to avoid using too much of any abrasive. You want to rub the abrasive into the grain not leave it rolling around on the surface. FeOx tends to soak in a bit but diamond paste has to be rubbed in. If i recall correctly the CrOx is something like .5 microns. You could definitely shave off of a .5 micron edge and probably be very pleased, but a .1 micron edge has that special feel. Oddly enough the .25 diamond strop always left the edge feeling harsh, and i am not the only one to say so.
Thanks for your insight. I appreciate it.

153/191 this morning.

Went with the Tilquin again and the Ming-Shi for clean-up. Used Stirling Peach (LOVE it).

I had a nice three-pass shave again this morning. The Tilquin performed well. The Ming-Shi is actually one of the smoothest DE shavers I own. I think there is some kind of magic in the bulbous head; the "edge" of the guard is rounded. That's probably what makes it feel so smooth on the face.

Have a great day and a great weekend. Tomorrow is my day off open blades; I will fire up the Ming-Shi for the entire shave. I'm actually looking forward to it. I'll go back to the AoS lemon cream, as well.

Working tomorrow, so no Sunday School lesson to deliver. I did, however, agree to play the piano for a flute player who wants to do a musical number at tomorrow's services. We haven't rehearsed at all. The plan is to meet about 20 minutes prior to the service and run through the song a couple of times. It should be fine. She does all the heavy lifting, since it's about the flute, not about the piano.

Nice shave with the Tilquin again, Randall! Sounds like a good match with the Ming-Shi on clean-up duties. Have fun with the performance tomorrow during the service!

Nice shave with the Tilquin again, Randall! Sounds like a good match with the Ming-Shi on clean-up duties. Have fun with the performance tomorrow during the service!
Thanks. The performance went OK. I only messed up a tiny bit once, but I don't think anybody noticed.

This morning's shave was the Ming-Shi and AoS lemon, as promised. Wow. I really like this cheap knock-off razor. I set it to about 3.5 for the first pass and then dialed it down to about 2.75 for the second pass. DFS in two passes without any problem areas at all.

If I were going to go back to mostly DE shaves, this weaselly knock-off razor would stay in the rotation, for sure. I once had a Mergress, and I actually think this Ming-Shi is a better shaver!

Have a great day, gents.

Nice one Randall...I haven't tried the Ming-Shi, but I do have what it's modeled after, the Futur. It's an incredibly efficient razor, but has a ton of blade feel and can get downright scary when opened all the way up.

All caught up again Randall!

Great shaves and reads! Hope your son and daughter-in-law are feeling better!

Knowing this group like I do, I figured one of the resident honemiesters would step up and offer to help you out! I had already decided if I got to the end of your journal and no one had offered, I would offer to hone one for you. I'm just an amateur for sure, but I figure (hope) my attempt would be better than what you had. Kudos to Chris!

Well...maybe I need a knock off razor!
1f60b.png
Maybe you do!

Nice one Randall...I haven't tried the Ming-Shi, but I do have what it's modeled after, the Futur. It's an incredibly efficient razor, but has a ton of blade feel and can get downright scary when opened all the way up.
Never tried mine opened up, but it's very smooth at lower settings.

Good shave good Doctor!

Hope you’re enjoying your Sunday!
Thanks. I had a nice day.

All caught up again Randall!

Great shaves and reads! Hope your son and daughter-in-law are feeling better!

Knowing this group like I do, I figured one of the resident honemiesters would step up and offer to help you out! I had already decided if I got to the end of your journal and no one had offered, I would offer to hone one for you. I'm just an amateur for sure, but I figure (hope) my attempt would be better than what you had. Kudos to Chris!
Yep. Lots of great people here, to be sure. Besides what you know, I was also contacted backchannel by another wonderful member offering for me to try out one of his razors for a while! Just an amazing group of guys.

Oh, and as far as my son is concerned, I spoke with him last night and he is finally back to feeling normal. His wife is also well now, at last. They've been married over a month, and this is the first time that both of them have been well.

155/192 this morning.

We had a horrible thunderstorm this morning; the thunder was so loud that it literally shook the house and the bed. We got nearly 4 inches of rain in a couple of hours. I had to get up, get dressed, put on waterproof shoes, and wade through several inches of water during a pouring rain in order to open our gate so water could flow from the back yard to the front. It was a good 5 inches deep on the other side of the gate; 2-3 inches in the front yard before I opened the gate.

Anyway, because of all that, and because I knew the commute would be longer than usual, I opted to use the Ming-Shi for the first pass and then use the Tilquin for subsequent passes, in order to save some time.

For lather I used Soapy Science Lollipop Citrus. I had a beautiful lather.

First pass with the Ming-Shi was quick and quite good. SAS+ after one pass. I thought that maybe I should move straight (pardon the pun) to the true XTG (which is normally my third pass), but I decided just for fun to try my usual second pass, which is a cross-handed mix of WTG and XTG (the "Chimensch pass"). I was surprised to hear and feel quite a bit of reduction from this pass despite an efficient DE first pass.

I followed up with the true XTG with the Tilquin and ended up DFS. A really nice shave.

I'm not sure now why I disliked this Tilquin razor so much previously. It's actually pretty nice. It has a thumb notch and it's a bit wider than my other razors. Yes, there is a bit of warp in the blade, so I have to pay special attention when stropping, but it seems to shave just fine despite that.

I hope you all have a great day.

Whew, sigh of relief for your son and DIL.

I know you can't, but I think I'd use that much rain as an excuse to stay home! We don't get thunder here and I'm jealous of those of you that get to experience that and lightening. I just get awe struck by the power of nature.

Great shave Randall! Glad to hear that the son and DIL are feeling much better. I miss the big thunderstorms back home...they really don't have them out here.

Great news on your son and daughter in law! I hope health holds for them now.

Holy smokes about the storm! Thank goodness for proper landscaping and foundations! That kind of storm might have easily put some homes here in a bit of water!

We've been having some intense thunderstorms as well - crazy!
Yep. Rain off and on the rest of the week, too.

Whew, sigh of relief for your son and DIL.

I know you can't, but I think I'd use that much rain as an excuse to stay home! We don't get thunder here and I'm jealous of those of you that get to experience that and lightening. I just get awe struck by the power of nature.
We are also relieved that they are finally better.

Great shave Randall! Glad to hear that the son and DIL are feeling much better. I miss the big thunderstorms back home...they really don't have them out here.
We have plenty of storms around here!

Great news on your son and daughter in law! I hope health holds for them now.

Holy smokes about the storm! Thank goodness for proper landscaping and foundations! That kind of storm might have easily put some homes here in a bit of water!
Thanks. Our homes are built to withstand hurricanes, so they can handle severe thunderstorms pretty well.

156/193 this morning.

Fired up the Tilquin again (my only razor right now, since I packaged up the others to ship them out for honing [thanks, Chris]) and used Soapy Science in the Doc's Special Blend. Wow. I really got a great lather this morning.

Three uneventful passes later, with a little help from the Ming-Shi and I am CCS+/DFS- and ready for the challenges of the day.

I hope y'all have a great day.

There are enough of you that use Soapy Science and really like it a lot...I'm wondering why I don't have any?

Back