The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I've made a strong decision I'd like to share.

Dragonsbeard

Shave Enthusiast
Artisan Retailer
Hello Cadre

I'll try to make this short and to the point. As most of you know my Shave products are put into collections and that's pretty well explained in my other threads so I won't go over that again. Well from a personal standpoint I'm a lot more into natural aromas than synthetics. So I came to a decision for now that any scent that I create where I need to use an Aroma Chemical in the formula to achieve my desired results I'm going to put in the " Niche Boutique " Collection as those aromas are all about cologne type scents whether they are my take on a well known cologne or something I come up with that's original. At this point all other collections will have aromas that are made from essential oils, resins, plant or flower hydrosols, Fruit emulsions or powders or infusions I make myself like my Madagascar Vanilla oil which took me 8 months to get it where I wanted it to be. I just ordered a machine where I'm going to be making some of my own essential oils and hydrosols from plants, flowers and fruits.

I also want to be clear on the difference in synthetics and the different variety of them that are used in the shaving world and what I will and won't use in my formulas. So from a price standpoint there are inexpensive fragrance oils most commonly used in candles, bath soaps and yes some shave soaps. There also some fragrance oils that are made to duplicate a particular designer cologne, perfume or a bath and body works or the body shop type fragrance oils. When you buy them they list all the notes that are in them. Of course these are all synthetics. Then there are what's called Aroma Chemicals. They are used by perfumers and you have to know how to not only use them but also how to buy them. As many only have an item code number like KF442ZR and that may be a Aroma chemical that has a Amber or a Patchouli or an Oud scent to it. Of course they do not smell exactly like the authentic oils as they all share that one synthetic note. I often have told people that would like to test their nose to go to a fragrance counter at a department store and take 5 or 6 medium priced designer fragrances like Ralph Lauren Polo, Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabbana etc. Close your eyes and take a quick sniff and move on. The average person loses their nose in about 5 to 7 scents and at that point you'll smell the common synthetic note they all share as the actual fragrance scent starts to fade away and as you lose your nose. Those fragrances are made by perfumers that work for either the company direct or work for a big fragrance house/supplier like IFF for example. Now if you are able to go to a store like Neiman Marcus or Saks or a Creed or Bond 9 boutique you'll also smell Aroma chemicals or in some colognes like Tom Ford or Le Labo, ADP or Amouage where they are blending real essential oils, resins and Aroma chemicals and some of those Aroma Chemicals can and are also very expensive. That's why if you are buying a 4 oz Shaving soap that says straight Sandalwood on the label and it's selling for $16, $26, or $40 it absolutely does not contain pure Sandalwood Oil of any type unless of course someone gave it to them for free. There are many other naturals like Jasmine Absolute that would be right there in price with Sandalwood or even more.

So with this in mind I'd like to state that in all ETHOS Grooming Essentials products the aromas are either one of two things. A all natural blend I've made myself or in some cases a single note scent like the Lavender Supreme Shave soap and Skin Food splash where it's just Pure French Lavender Essential oil and nothing else! Now If I'm using a synthetic in any of my products it will only be an Aroma Chemical or a blend of both an Aroma Chemical and natural aroma ingredients like essential oils, resins etc. as sometimes It's impossible to get the scent you want without using one or both to achieve what your looking for. My Success is a good example of using both naturals, and Aroma Chemicals. I won't and I don't use candle fragrances or already pre made scents. Or a single note fragrance oil like Orange or Lavender or multiple note fragrance oils and then use them as they are or try to blend then to get the scent I'm looking for. I'll also want to be clear I don't begrudge or judge anybody or their products that do that it's just a path I don't want to go down with the products I make. So as I've said before all ETHOS Grooming Essential products are priced according to what's in them and certain ingredients and especially Aromas can significantly change the prices from product to product.

So with that all said know that when you go into the Niche Boutique Collection you are getting a combo of Aroma Chemicals or a blend of both naturals and Aroma Chemicals and at this point I'll be using all naturals in all the other Collections. To me it keeps things simple for customers to understand.

As always Great Shaves and thank you for your support!

Frank

Hello Cadre

I'll try to make this short and to the point. As most of you know my Shave products are put into collections and that's pretty well explained in my other threads so I won't go over that again. Well from a personal standpoint I'm a lot more into natural aromas than synthetics. So I can to a decision for now that any scent that I create where I need to use an Aroma Chemical in the formula to achieve my desired results I'm going to put in the " Niche Boutique " Collection as those aromas are all about cologne type scents whether they are my take on a well known cologne or something I come up with that's original. At this point all other collections will have aromas that are made from essential oils, resins, plant or flower hydrosols, Fruit emulsions or powders or infusions I make myself like my Madagascar Vanilla oil which took me 8 months to get it where I wanted it to be. I just ordered a machine where I'm going to be making some of my own essential oils and hydrosols from plants, flowers and fruits.

I also want to be clear on the difference in synthetics and the different variety of them that are used in the shaving world and what I will and won't use in my formulas. So from a price standpoint there are inexpensive fragrance oils most commonly used in candles, bath soaps and yes some shave soaps. There also some fragrance oils that are made to duplicate a particular designer cologne, perfume or a bath and body works or the body shop type fragrance oils. When you buy them they list all the notes that are in them. Of course these are all synthetics. Then there are what's called Aroma Chemicals. They are used by perfumers and you have to know how to not only use them but also how to buy them. As many only have an item code number like KF442ZR and that may be a Aroma chemical that has a Amber or a Patchouli or an Oud scent to it. Of course they do not smell exactly like the authentic oils as they all share that one synthetic note. I often have told people that would like to test their nose to go to a fragrance counter at a department store and take 5 or 6 medium priced designer fragrances like Ralph Lauren Polo, Calvin Klein, Dolce & Gabbana etc. Close your eyes and take a quick sniff and move on. The average person loses their nose in about 5 to 7 scents and at that point you'll smell the common synthetic note as the actual fragrance scent starts to fade away as you lose your nose. Those fragrances are made by perfumers that work for either the company direct or work for a big fragrance house/supplier like IFF for example. Now if you are able to go to a store like Neiman Marcus or Saks or a Creed or Bond 9 boutique you'll also smell Aroma chemicals or in some colognes like Tom Ford or Le Labo, ADP or Amouage where they are blending real essential oils, resins and Aroma chemicals and some of those Aroma Chemicals can and are also very expensive. That's why if you are buying a 4 oz Shaving soap that says straight Sandalwood on the label and it's selling for $16, $26, or $40 it absolutely does not contain pure Sandalwood Oil of any type unless of course someone gave it to them for free. There are many other naturals like Jasmine Absolute that would be right there in price with Sandalwood or even more.

So with this in mind I'd like to state that in all ETHOS Grooming Essentials products the aromas are either one of two things. A all natural blend I've made myself or in some cases a single note scent like the Lavender Supreme Shave soap and Skin Food splash where it's just Pure French Lavender Essential oil and nothing else! If I'm using a synthetic in any of my products it will only be an Aroma Chemical or a blend of both an Aroma Chemical and natural aroma ingredients like essential oils, resins etc. as sometimes It's impossible to get the scent you want without using one or both to achieve what your looking for. My Success is a good example of using both naturals, and Aroma Chemicals. I won't and I don't use candle fragrances or already pre made scents or single note or multiple note fragrance oils and then use them as they are or try to blend then to get the scent I'm looking for. I'll also want to be clear I don't begrudge or judge anybody or their products that do that it's just a path I don't want to go down with the products I make. So as I've said before all ETHOS Grooming Essential products are priced according to what's in them and certain ingredients and especially Aromas can significantly change the prices from product to product.

So with that all said know that when you go into the Niche Boutique Collection you are getting a combo of Aroma Chemicals or a blend of both naturals and Aroma Chemicals and at this point I'll be using all naturals in all the other Collections. To me it keeps things simple for customers to understand.

As always Great Shaves and thank you for your support!

Frank
A very sound and viable business decision in my opinion Frank... good luck

Thank you for your transparency, Frank. I care about what I'm putting on my face, & I care that the soap maker is honest with me about what is going into the soap. To some, that may not be a big deal. But to me, that honesty about natural vs. synthetic ingredients is part of why I like Ethos so much. The other reason I like Ethos so much, IMHO, it's the best soap & shave products in the marketplace.

We hope we see a website up and running for commerce soon

Ware very close!
The two people that are workin on my website both have full time jobs and this darn Corona has made it difficult to meet up so that’s the main reason why it’s taken this long.

This isn't some new decision, is it? I thought this is how your products have always been.

Your close but when I thought about future scents I’ll be offering and now that I’m getting a good feel for my customer base and what their looking for I thought why not keep all the scents where I use some Aroma Chemicals in one collection so when their shopping on the website they’ll know to look for the cologne type scents in the Niche Boutique Collection and that all the other collections I’ll be only using naturals.At this point I’m finding that at least 75% want natural scents. The only other Collection I may have to use a combo of Aroma Chemicals and naturals is when I finally come out with the Barbershop Collection where my idea is to have 3 different Barbershop type scents that represent the American Barbershop, English Barbershop and Italian Barbershop type scents as I see all three being very different than each other.
I can also see being able to use all naturals in both the Italian and English types but the American I’m not so sure about but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.
I’m just trying to be as honest and open about where I’m going with ETHOS as I get a lot of email messages with questions about scents and ingredients so it’s easer to refer them to my vendors section than taking the time to answer in depth the many questions I continuously get. Plus I’ve noticed quite a few have become members of the Cadre.

Thanks for posting a good question!

Frank:
Indeed it is a good idea to have the 3 barbershop scents as they are indeed different. The biggest problem in that genre is that most artisans don't even consult barbers in what those scent notes are. the term "BarberShop" seems to be used now more as a marketing and nostalgia tool by some rather than doing the research to make it a "True" Barbershop scent. Those of us in the industry cringe when most new Barbershop scents come out, as most think it is powder, quite misleading actually and just using a name that invokes sales. For the most part there are only a few that fit within this genre. I am looking forward to seeing how these shake out from a "Barber's point of view"

American: WSP Barbershop, Mikes Barbershop, Fine American Blend, Pinaud Clubman ( American is Barbacide, hot lather, Hairspray, Pomade light powder, alcohol)
Italian: Acqua Di Parma, Saponificio Varesino 70th, Proraso Green, and Antica Barberia Colla ( Italian is Citrus, Lemmon, Barbacide, Scented power )
English: DR Harris Arlington, Penhaligon's Bayolea, Savoy Steam, Floris, Blenheim Bouquet, Truefitt & Hill Clubman ( Englsh is Lavender, Leather, Wool, Steams and floras )

Anyway just my opinion... Dont be one of those artisans that creates a "Barbershop Scent" just to use the word "Barbershop" and make it a powder bomb as have so many failures in that "Barbershop Space"

Frank:
Indeed it is a good idea to have the 3 barbershop scents as they are indeed different. The biggest problem in that genre is that most artisans don't even consult barbers in what those scent notes are. the term "BarberShop" seems to be used now more as a marketing and nostalgia tool by some rather than doing the research to make it a "True" Barbershop scent. Those of us in the industry cringe when most new Barbershop scents come out, as most think it is powder, quite misleading actually and just using a name that invokes sales. For the most part there are only a few that fit within this genre. I am looking forward to seeing how these shake out from a "Barber's point of view"

American: WSP Barbershop, Mikes Barbershop, Fine American Blend, Pinaud Clubman ( American is Barbacide, hot lather, Hairspray, Pomade light powder, alcohol)
Italian: Acqua Di Parma, Saponificio Varesino 70th, Proraso Green, and Antica Barberia Colla ( Italian is Citrus, Lemmon, Barbacide, Scented power )
English: DR Harris Arlington, Penhaligon's Bayolea, Savoy Steam, Floris, Blenheim Bouquet, Truefitt & Hill Clubman ( Englsh is Lavender, Leather, Wool, Steams and floras )

Anyway just my opinion... Dont be one of those artisans that creates a "Barbershop Scent" just to use the word "Barbershop" and make it a powder bomb as have so many failures in that "Barbershop Space"

Hey! I just used a powdery heavy barbershop soap this evening that is out of this world. Many people enjoy them, Dave. Sheesh. Lol.

Thanks @Joe Hackett for the Stirling Barbershop. What a great, super powdery, sweet scent.

Last edited:
Hey! I just used a powderv heavy barbershop soap this evening that is out of this world. Many people enjoy them, Dave. Sheesh. Lol.

Thanks @Joe Hackett for the Stirling Barbershop. What a great, super powdery, sweet scent.
I know doug many people enjoy "Powdery scents" however if you are going to call it "Barbershop" it should represent what a barbershop scent really is as per it's namesake. Sorry but I take that pretty seriously, as I do being a Master Barber and all the nostalgia, and reverence to the "old ways" and continuing that Legacy. I dont want that name to become just a moniker it means something going back almost 5000 years. Also as a Certified perfumer, I know fragrances as well, and I am not saying these are bad as I have probably every single barbershop scent that has ever been created in a soap or Fragrance and as mentioned above the ones listed are the "truest" of them all as it was in the "Barbershop Shootout", and all were the "American Versions" except for Mike's and it really was not representative of "London" as was more American Anyway

BarberShop Soap Shootout 2020

Back