The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ingrown Toenails

I used to get them real bad as a kid. At about age 14 I had a doctor kill the nail bed on the sides. It was very painful. But no more ingrown

Not t in a long time. When I did I would clip a notch in the middle of the nail. This forced it to grow towards the center, pulling from the sides. Worked wonders for me.

Last edited:
Word is that several folks here have "lost" a part of one of their fingers.
Now I'm wondering if that was a dry run in case they need to lop off a toe, Hmmmm :unsure:

I used to get them real bad as a kid. At about age 14 I had a doctor kill the nail bed on the sides. It was very painful. But no more ingrown

Same here and also at age 14 had a 2nd surgery to remove ⅓ of both large toe cuticles respectively. After the surgery I had a pass from the Principal in 8th grade to be late to classes as I walked slower as a result for a few weeks. 🐢

My foot doc killed only the nail beds on each side of the nail, so I have a narrow nail on one big toe, but that solution has worked for 15+ years now. He wrapped a rubber band at base of toe to cut off blood - it turned blue, numbed the toe to point I could not feel a thing, cleaned out the ingrown stuff, trimmed both sides, and then put acid on the two bottom corners of the nail area. First doc I went to dug the first one out without any anesthesia. I legit thought I was about to either pass out, hurl, or have a heart attack.

My foot doc killed only the nail beds on each side of the nail, so I have a narrow nail on one big toe, but that solution has worked for 15+ years now. He wrapped a rubber band at base of toe to cut off blood - it turned blue, numbed the toe to point I could not feel a thing, cleaned out the ingrown stuff, trimmed both sides, and then put acid on the two bottom corners of the nail area. First doc I went to dug the first one out without any anesthesia. I legit thought I was about to either pass out, hurl, or have a heart attack.

Literally same for me! First doc had a brand new nurse that day, and she actually did pass out. Was pretty funny while I was white knuckling the chair in pain.

Next doc killed the toe bed and I have been good for about 17 years now.

I'm currently trying the stuffing floss under the nail method. Working great so far. Might have to try Dave's method, though, it seems a lot less finicky. Not at all interested in Shawn's approach.

Back