The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If 2020 was all about the fruits...then 2021 is all about, well the fruits! The 2021 Fruitcake Thread

Ok… I officially recant my vows to actually go to all the work involved in making a delicious homemade fruitcake.

Why would I ever do such a thing when I could order this and have it delivered in less time than I could make one myself? And, what if it didn’t taste so good?

YUM!

View attachment 69750

View attachment 69751
Bill, I'm so glad you're enjoying the fruit cake. We have one just like it hasn't been cut...yet. We live fairly close to the Abbey, so we make a fruitcake run every so often for my sister and us. The 1792 Distillery is close by - another fun place to visit - so I'm guessing this is where they get their bourbon.

Hopefully your Bride will like it. Mine is not a fruitcake lover, but she will make an exception for one of these. :) Now the fudge from the Abbey is another story...that's her absolute favorite! We came home from our most recent trip with fudge for her and her two brothers. Years ago, the monks also made wonderful cheeses, but that was unfortunately discontinued.

Fruit cake, fudge, cheese...If I'm not mistaken, this represents all the major food groups.

Enjoy! :)

Ok… I officially recant my vows to actually go to all the work involved in making a delicious homemade fruitcake.

Why would I ever do such a thing when I could order this and have it delivered in less time than I could make one myself? And, what if it didn’t taste so good?

YUM!

View attachment 69750

View attachment 69751
That is the best place to order fruit cake from

Bill, I'm so glad you're enjoying the fruit cake. We have one just like it hasn't been cut...yet. We live fairly close to the Abbey, so we make a fruitcake run every so often for my sister and us. The 1792 Distillery is close by - another fun place to visit - so I'm guessing this is where they get their bourbon.

Hopefully your Bride will like it. Mine is not a fruitcake lover, but she will make an exception for one of these. :) Now the fudge from the Abbey is another story...that's her absolute favorite! We came home from our most recent trip with fudge for her and her two brothers. Years ago, the monks also made wonderful cheeses, but that was unfortunately discontinued.

Fruit cake, fudge, cheese...If I'm not mistaken, this represents all the major food groups.

Enjoy! :)
Next time it’ll be fruitcake AND fudge.

Trouble with the fruitcake is that you have to eat half of it for just one shot of bourbon.

If it lasts maybe I’ll ‘pump up the volume’. Or I could have a Manhattan with each piece. 😊

Well the day has come! The fruitcake has been made and I have already sampled the wares! I do wish I lived in a place that was bit less humid and that I had a root cellar. Unfortunately I don't, so the several weeks of spritzing is not something that can happen in southern Louisiana. The upside is that I get to eat the delicious fruitcake immediately! Using the Satsuma Rum was definitely a good thing. It gives the fruitcake a bright citrus aftertaste. Anyway...here are some pics of the process and the final results. It might take a couple of posts to get all the pics in, so please be patient.

1639359914278.png1639359949767.png1639359971987.png1639359988147.png

Back