The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

If 2020 was all about the fruits...then 2021 is all about, well the fruits! The 2021 Fruitcake Thread

dangerousdon

"I am Udderly Insufferable”
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
Last year I started the 2020 fruit cake thread. You can read it here if you are so inclined:

Well once again I got to a late start...but no worries. The Danger Household is nuttier and fruitier than...well a fruitcake! Got our dried fruit yesterday and was missing some candied ginger. So went to the store and got a whole mess of the good stuff. Got all the fruit and ginger diced. The lemons and the oranges zested. And then dumped in (probably more than the recipe called for) the booze. Normally we go for a spiced or dark rum to macerate our dried fruit...but this year we wanted to try something different. We went with Gator Bite Satsuma Satsuma Rum! I'll document the process of the making of the fruitcake. But along the way please have a festive discussion of your favorite or not so favorite fruitcakes! Is your favorite store bought or home made. Can you not stand fruitcake because the only one you have tasted was from 75% off bin three weeks after Christmas from your local Walgreens. Do you prefer dried fruit that has been macerated like what I am doing? Or do you like the candied fruit. Nuts or no nuts. Let's talk about everything fruitcake! I also think that @wristwatchb should chime in on this thread as well!

Here's a pic of the fruit bathing in some really good tasting rum!

1639015010722.png

My grandmother used to make her own fruitcake which she soaked in brandy for months in the freezer. My dad tells me all the time how awesome it was. Unfortunately, she passed away when I was 5, so the only fruitcake I know it's the store bought stuff. I do not think I have ever tried anything else.

UGH!!!!!

Don next year can you please like call me when it's time to go get the stuff? I want to play along. I love fruitcake but I am the only one that eats it so I usually just order one of these from The Abbey of Gethsemani
There is still time! The only thing that really takes time is the daily spritzing of the brandy or other high octane liquids on the fruitcake while it rests for days or weeks. I actually skip this part because things mold too fast here in Louisiana. So to be perfectly honest...I am letting my fruit macerate until the weekend...but I could use them right now if I wanted to.

Okay...here is the recipe I am using. I will follow up with a subsequent post about the various changes to the recipe I am doing...

1 cup golden raisins

1 cup currants

1/2 cup sun dried cranberries

1/2 cup sun dried blueberries

1/2 cup sun dried cherries

1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped

Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely

Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely

1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped

1 cup gold rum

1 cup sugar

5 ounces unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks)

1 cup unfiltered apple juice

4 whole cloves, ground

6 allspice berries, ground

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon baking powder

2 eggs

1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted pecans, broken

Brandy for basting and/or spritzing

Combine dried fruits, candied ginger and both zests. Add rum and macerate overnight, or microwave for 5 minutes to re-hydrate fruit.

Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool for at least 15 minutes. (Batter can be completed up to this point, then covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before completing cake.)

Heat oven to 325 degrees.

Combine dry ingredients and sift into fruit mixture. Quickly bring batter together with a large wooden spoon, then stir in eggs one at a time until completely integrated, then fold in nuts. Spoon into a 10-inch non-stick loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting toothpick into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean, it's done. If not, bake another 10 minutes, and check again.

Remove cake from oven and place on cooling rack or trivet. Baste or spritz top with brandy and allow to cool completely before turning out from pan.

When cake is completely cooled, seal in a tight sealing, food safe container. Every 2 to 3 days, feel the cake and if dry, spritz with brandy. The cake's flavor will enhance considerably over the next two weeks. If you decide to give the cake as a gift, be sure to tell the recipient that they are very lucky indeed.

Okay...so the type of dried fruit isn't really all that important. Just make sure you have several different types and about four cups of dried fruit per batch. I am using raisins, golden, raisins, cranberries, cherries, apricots, dates, and figs. I think next year I might try dried apples too.

It calls for rum to soak the fruit...but you can use pretty much whatever you want. This year I used a Satsuma Rum. I usually use a dark or spiced rum. But I think brandy would work well here as well.

I will say that the orange and lemon zest is a must! As well as the candied ginger.

I am substituting apple cider for the apple juice.

I forgo any nuts. I just like the fruity stuff.

If you do decide to spritz the cake daily or every few days...I do highly recommend brandy though I am curious what Grappa might taste like.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:
Backfire GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

I gotta make one someday.

My Abbey of Gethsemeni cake is en route for a Monday delivery.

My brother told me that there was only 1 batch of the famous Claxton fruitcakes ever made……and…… they are perpetually regifted.
Ok… I officially recant my vows to actually go to all the work involved in making a delicious homemade fruitcake.

Why would I ever do such a thing when I could order this and have it delivered in less time than I could make one myself? And, what if it didn’t taste so good?

YUM!

FC6F742B-5716-4CE2-959F-CD437A8BB931.jpeg

540537C4-E173-4F98-A1A0-869A36E35103.jpeg

Back