The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I Coloniali shave soap COPY anyone?

735ba982bd368d0c3761aa3b9b079a34.jpg

Didn’t realize this was a thread about cars when I opened it up to read it.

I'm dying reading this thread. Buddy's parents drove an Aztec, think they also used to give them away as a prize on the Survivor reality show. Talk about a blast from 2000.

On topic, I have a terra cotta bowl still sealed in my "unobtanium" collection - acquired it fairly early in my wet shaving career while still in production and then sat in the den unopened for years. Now I'm just waiting for some special occasion to open it...although haven't decided what that is yet...

I'm dying reading this thread. Buddy's parents drove an Aztec, think they also used to give them away as a prize on the Survivor reality show. Talk about a blast from 2000.

On topic, I have a terra cotta bowl still sealed in my "unobtanium" collection - acquired it fairly early in my wet shaving career while still in production and then sat in the den unopened for years. Now I'm just waiting for some special occasion to open it...although haven't decided what that is yet...
That's right, the DID give them as prizes on survivor. Either they were a really big deal OR they needed to find a way to get rid of them.

I have an unopened refill and a currently open and in use terra cotta pot of iColonialli. I really do like the scent and I think the terra cotta pot idea is cool. The soap itself isn't exceptional but I don't think it is a bad soap, certainly not something I would expect to be discontinued. If I recall correctly the cost of the pot of soap was in the mid $30's, maybe a bit high for the weight of the soap but it lasts a long time and is pleasant to use.

So are you making a copy of the soap or is this a tribute to the aztec or tents or......?

I have been able to reproduce the scent well enough that I plan to release a soap and tonic in the near future.
Thank you for the reply.. I got lost with all the directions this thread went. I appreciate the clarification and look forward to the release. I never tried the original so it will be a whole new experience if I try it...

I have not had the opportunity to try the original I Coloniali soap, but I recently received a sample of the CBL version and have used it the past 2 days. I am not great at describing scents so I will just go with Chris's description. What I can say about it is that I really like it. It is a very pleasing scent and I will certainly be adding it to the collection when it comes out.

The bigger surprise was that it came in a new unreleased soap base called Apothecary Tallow, which is also awesome. It is a softer soap, I would say it is softer than the CBL Premium soap base but a little firmer than the Orion base. It lathers easy for me and is very sliiiick! Looks like another great scent and base from @CBLSoap.com

My husband liked this shaving soap so much I searched the internet for it. I found and ordered refills from a small pharmacy in new zealsnd.

I guess it is officially called I Coloniali Mango Shaving Cream because it was made with Mango oil but this now discontinued shaving soap used to be sold in a terracotta bowl and was anything but a cream, it was rather hard soap in fact. To quote Shakespeare "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...", call it what you will, this odd looking soap had/has one of the most enticing scents you will ever encounter. It appears few here on the forum have actually tried/smelled the soap though, and that is a tragedy. @CVargo would say that is an EPIC tragedy since it is one of his favorite scents. Describing the scent is hard, I am guessing it presents itself a little differently to different people. I get a smooth, velvety, slightly smokey woody scent that is a little sweet and maybe a little spicy. The Mango oil MIGHT contribute to the sweetness but it isn't a mango scent at all. Confusing the senses even more is the every so slight hint of menthol when you lather...is that the source of the sweetness? Is it spice or mint? But it IS smoky and Woody right? Smoooooth and velvety, a little bit of somthin Somthin.

I don't know what it is about this soap, the terracotta pot it is in is really a cool idea, the scent is flat out enchanting, but the soap itself isn't terribly memorable...if memory serves. Anyone else try this soap and have a story to tell?

I only ask because Chad @CVargo was given an odd looking soap for Christmas and he said it smells quite a lot like his favorite mango cream soap in a terra cotta pot (I Coloniali). Serves him right, he asked for it...So I made it for him.

So has anyone else tried the IColoniali Mango Cream shave soap that used be sold in the terra cotta pot? I know it smells wonderful (I got that part nailed) but if it smelled so good, why do you think I coloniali stopped making the shave soap?, they still make creams in a tube and other products but none of them smell like the old shave soap.
I want to buy that shaving soap. What do you call it and how do I get it?

My husband liked this shaving soap so much I searched the internet for it. I found and ordered refills from a small pharmacy in new zealsnd.
Welcome to The Cadre! Be sure to head on over to the Newbie & Welcome forum and introduce yourself.

Last edited:
Just seeing this thread but did want to chime in. I do have a puck of this soap in the terra cotta pot...such a lovely soap. Wonderful smell with just a kiss of menthol...perfect! I'm really looking forward to trying CBL's recreation of it.

Back