The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I Am Going To A Deserted Island

In all seriousness though I appreciate the courtesy and if I need something I’ll reach out.
I get it, no worries. When I was in Afghanistan, I was a relatively new wet shaver, and so appreciated any donation or PIF headed my way. Now, I would not be as willing to accept the same generosity, despite still deploying with the military to austere destinations. I’m in less of a need than I was then. The fact is, we all applaud those who are actively serving (I’m retired myself) and want to help you no matter how small it may seem. (Contact me in PM if you want to know my secrets I learned while deplioyed to AFG in acquiring many of my goods).

I get it, no worries. When I was in Afghanistan, I was a relatively new wet shaver, and so appreciated any donation or PIF headed my way. Now, I would not be as willing to accept the same generosity, despite still deploying with the military to austere destinations. I’m in less of a need than I was then. The fact is, we all applaud those who are actively serving (I’m retired myself) and want to help you no matter how small it may seem. (Contact me in PM if you want to know my secrets I learned while deplioyed to AFG in acquiring many of my goods).

Oh I’ve been to Afghanistan too and I had some connections that would impress the heck out of even you. We’ll have to swap stories sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TSC TOU, doesn’t apply to your channel…. Only to the videos you post on TSC. As I understand it. So no need to do anything privately.

So, as I understand it, if it fits TOU, post away…. If not, just keep it on your channel, and don’t post it here. No worries.
Review the TOU again, but that’s how I understand it.
Or promote it here. Lets be careful gentlemen

Soooooo I made some pretty comprehensive changes to the list of chosen ones. I just couldn't help myself.

June: Moon Sorrento & matching balm

July: Angora Soaps Bay Rum & Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Pineapple Bay rum

August: Crowne & Crane Makai & matching balm

September: Stirling Ramblin Man & matching balm

October: Barrister & Man Cheshire & matching balm

November: Murphy & McNeil Tobac Fanaile & Crowne & Crane Tobacco Vanilla Balm

December: Cooper & French Santa’s Workshop & matching balm

January: The Club Warrior Of Howling Fjord & Proraso White balm

February: Wholly Kaw Italian Holiday & matching splash

March: PAA Sundown & Floid Vigoroso

April: Mike's Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender & WSP True Lavender balm

May: Chicago Grooming Irving Park & Fine American Blend Splash

Now I am going to pack these for travel. It's still way early but I want to lock it in otherwise I will be constantly changing things and driving myself nuts all the way to the bitter end.

I also raided the fishing section of my local Bass Pro Shop. Picked up a tackle box to put razors and brushes in. I also picked up some heavy duty water tight bags to put shaving soaps and post shave stuff in.

1642721467782.jpeg

1642721497500.jpeg

Last edited:
Taking some colognes too?
Probably two. One for warmer months and one for colder months. Chanel Allure Homme Sport has been my signature scent for years so ill probably take that. I also can't live in this world without Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP. So those two are going. That's only a microscopic helping from my collection but I'm limited by size and weight constraints.

Hey everybody!

It's been a while since the last time I posted on The Shaving Cadre. I've been living at Incirlik Air Base in Turkey Since May 9th. I was stationed here 5 years ago for 15 months and I can tell you the place hasn't changed much. It has definitely been an adjustment though, that's for sure.

I still only brought 12 Sets of soap and aftershave, which I called the "Chosen Twelve". I didn't realize what a monumental headache it would be trying to pick 12 shaving soaps. It turns out trying to narrow your collection down to just 12 is grounds for a couple Excedrins and a glass of Courvoisier. I ended up scrapping the whole list and starting back from scratch. I gave a theme to each of the 12 months I'd be gone. Within that scent theme I picked 2 soaps and a coin toss decided the winner. This all happened about a week before I left so there was no turning back. This is how how everything shook out.

Coin Toss Winner, June: Tallow & Steel Sicily & Matching Balm

Moon Soaps Sorrento

Category: Mediterranean Scent

Coin Toss Winner, July: Angora Soaps Bay Rum & Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Pineapple Bay Rum

Alternate: Mystic Water Bay Rum

Category: Bay Rum Scent

Coin Toss Winner, August: Ariana & Evans St. Barts & Stirling Island Man Aftershave Splash

Alternate: Stirling Boat Drinks

Category: Tropical

Coin Toss Winner, September: Chicago Grooming Irving Park & Fine American Blend Aftershave Splash

Alternate: Mikes Natural Soaps Barbershop

Category: Barbershop

Coin Toss Winner, October: Declaration Grooming Chaotic Neutral & Matching Splash

Alternate: Barrister & Mann Cheshire

Category: Tea Scent

Coin Toss Winner, November: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Shave Chaser & Matching Splash

Alternate: Lather Bros Bro

Category: Pharmacy Aftershave Dupes

Coin Toss Winner, December: Cooper & French Santa’s Workshop & Matching Balm

Alternate: Black Ship Grooming Christmas Cannons

Category: Christmas Scent

Coin Toss Winner, January: Hendrix Classics & Co Alpine Forest & Matching Balm

Alternate: Shannon’s Soaps Woodland Frost

Category: Winter Wildcard

Coin Toss Winner, February: Shannon’s Soaps Indigo Oud & Matching Splash

Alternate: Highland Springs Soap Company Tobacco Oud

Category: Oud Scent

Coin Toss Winner, March: Murphy & McNeil Olde Bushmalt & Matching Splash

Alternate: 345 Soap Co. Pheneous

Category: St Patrick’s Day

Coin Toss Winner, April: WSP Matterhorn & Proraso White

Alternate: Catie’s Bubbles Le Terre Verte

Category: Spring Wildcard

Coin Toss Winner, May: Crowne & Crane Makai & Matching Balm

Alternate: Crowne & Crane Perfect Man

Category: Fragrance Dupes

All these soaps and aftershaves went into Googan Squad waterproof fishing bags. the bags were probably overkill but they are definitely top level protection for international travel. The bags then went into my checked baggage and flew over here with me on the rotator.

The whole setup weighed 15 pounds. That's not even including the razors, blades, brushes, bar soap, shampoo, none of that. just the 12 soaps and aftershaves.

When I picked my razors for this tour I didn't have my priorities straight. I ended up bringing razors that I thought were the most versatile, rather than just grabbing what I actually liked:

1. Merkur Progress
2. Rockwell 6S
3. Razorock Hawk
4. PAA Starling

In hindsight, I would've picked a whole different setup. Thankfully I managed to score a couple more razors at a cheap price that are more satisfying to shave with.

The brushes I brought were fine. I'm still very please with what I brought.

1. Knothead Brushworks 24mm Maggard SHD
2. QED Select 4324 24mm Manchurian Silvertip
3. QED Select 6324 24mm Manchurian Silvertip
4. Viking Shaving Soaps 22mm Odin's Beard Badger

This brings me to my last point (for now). I had assumptions about what hardware and software I would miss the most. Boy was I wrong! I figured I'd really miss all my woody scents, tobacco scents, leather scents, and fougere scents. However, what I actually miss at this moment from my collection is sorta commensurate to the season we are in. Because its summer, I really seem to be craving a lot of fresh scents, like Stirling Gin & Tonic, or WSP Citrus Blast. I suppose I shouldn't Be Surprised. I also figured I'd miss a lot of my expensive razors, such as my Charcoal Goods Everyday Razor. Not so much. I actually wish I had a few of my RazoRock razors like my Lupo 58 and my BBS, but you know what they all say about hindsight...

So that's the state of things at the moment.

This is how the whole setup looked once it was packed. It weighed somewhere north of 25 pounds all together.

48d30a2ce0686050b3068e75a5cbd287.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back