The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

I Am Going To A Deserted Island

I didnt know you had a youtube channel either !! I just went and looked and yes I subscribed to it so I guess im #226

Thanks, I feel like I just let the metaphorical cat out of the bag. I hope you enjoy the content. Don’t sit in front of the TV set for too long or you’ll go blind, according to my dad that’s what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s an ongoing shave-off series I’m doing. APShaveCo Penny Shaver is next some time in January.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt know you had a youtube channel either !! I just went and looked and yes I subscribed to it so I guess im #226 !!!
I have to say when I saw you that you look like you'd be Air Force... Honestly when I saw you I thought of the guy from Stargate !!
Chief Master Sergeant Norman Walter Davis Harriman
View attachment 70032
But you had more hair !!;):LOL:

More hair and a Johnny Bravo chin .

How does everyone feel about titanium razors? I thought about picking up a titanium razor because they’re crazy durable and don’t corrode. I’m on the waitlist for the Yates Titanium Razor. Some other ones I’ve considered are the Carbon .71 Mild and the Haircut & Shave Z074. Mostly the reason I want one is so I don’t have to meticulously clean it after every shave to keep it from rusting. Aluminum is a good alternative until the anodizing starts coming off, then you’re screwed.

Or am I over thinking this a bit? .

The only lighter razors I enjoy are my injectors. Otherwise it’s nickel plated brass or stainless for me. That’s about as durable and carefree as you’ll ever need. Plus the price tags on those Ti variants 😵

I don’t see the point in spending more on Titanium, to justify the cost over stainless. Weight…. Well why not aluminum? After that, it’s for you to decide. I can appreciate both AL and SS, so if the cost of TI satisfies it for you for the best of both worlds, than go for it.

Last edited:
The only lighter razors I enjoy are my injectors. Otherwise it’s nickel plated brass or stainless for me. That’s about as durable and carefree as you’ll ever need. Plus the price tags on those Ti variants

This is true the price is a swift kick in the wallet.

Maybe I need to go back to the drawing board with this one . I’m just trying to simplify the gear I’m taking with me.

And honestly, I see where you are coming from with the TOU vs your channel, as things go…. But we’d love to have you post some videos on the TSC, as well. Maybe a compromise? Post a video every now and then that complies with TOU, to introduce the cadre to your channel….. and your subscribers to the TSC. It’s win-win, right?

And honestly, I see where you are coming from with the TOU vs your channel, as things go…. But we’d love to have you post some videos on the TSC, as well. Maybe a compromise? Post a video every now and then that complies with TOU, to introduce the cadre to your channel….. and your subscribers to the TSC. It’s win-win, right?

You make a good point. I figured I’d start with the Christmas video. After that it will probably be a lot of video journals for this thread and the occasional SOTW video. I thought about doing unlisted videos that are exclusive to the Cadre, but I’m not sure how that does the forum any good because I’m not spreading the word . I’ll figured out a good roll out plan I just need to brain storm.

I don’t see the point in spending more on Titanium, to justify the cost over stainless. Weight…. Well why not aluminum? After that, it’s for you to decide. I can appreciate both AL and SS, so if the cost of TI satisfies it for you for the best of both worlds, than go for it.

The main reason I bring this up is because I took apart a couple razors the other day that had been sitting around for a while and the stem had rust on it, quite a bit of it. I could’ve swore I cleaned and oiled them up before I put them away in storage, apparently not good enough. I just thought titanium would be good for austere conditions, but aluminum would probably be fine too, you’d think.

How does everyone feel about titanium razors? I thought about picking up a titanium razor because they’re crazy durable and don’t corrode. I’m on the waitlist for the Yates Titanium Razor. Some other ones I’ve considered are the Carbon .71 Mild and the Haircut & Shave Z074. Mostly the reason I want one is so I don’t have to meticulously clean it after every shave to keep it from rusting. Aluminum is a good alternative until the anodizing starts coming off, then you’re screwed.

Or am I over thinking this a bit? .

IMHO, you ARE over-thinking this. You may have seen, I straight razor shave as a truck driver in the truck stops most nights. Carbon steel, stainless steel razors. I’m not sure what you mean by meticulously cleaning a blade. When done I simply wipe the blade with a damp cloth to remove any soap residue, then wipe it with tissue or microfiber cloth, strop, and put two drops of baby oil on the blade. Easy peasy. Six and a half years doing this routine with no issues.

PS - I just saw your YouTube channel page. You were probably talking about DE razors, not straights. Sorry to butt in.

Last edited:
You make a good point. I figured it start with the Christmas video. After that it will probably be a lot of video journals for this thread and the occasional SOTW video. I thought about doing unlisted videos that are exclusive to the Cadre, but I’m not sure how that does the forum any good because I’m not spreading the word . I’ll figured out a good roll out plan I just need to brain storm.

TSC TOU, doesn’t apply to your channel…. Only to the videos you post on TSC. As I understand it. So no need to do anything privately.

So, as I understand it, if it fits TOU, post away…. If not, just keep it on your channel, and don’t post it here. No worries.
Review the TOU again, but that’s how I understand it.

IMHO, you ARE over-thinking this. You may have seen, I straight razor shave as a truck driver in the truck stops most nights. Carbon steel, stainless steel razors. I’m not sure what you mean by meticulously cleaning a blade. When done I simply wipe the blade with a damp cloth to remove any soap residue, then wipe it with tissue or microfiber cloth, strop, and put two drops of baby oil on the blade. Easy peasy. Six and a half years doing this routine with no issues.

I appreciate the feedback. Had some issues with rust on a couple of my razors the other day. I’m hoping it was just an anomaly.

had been sitting around for a while and the stem had rust on it, quite a bit of it. I could’ve swore I cleaned and oiled them up before I put them away in storage, apparently not good enough.
Stainless?? Stainless steel razors should not rust. I get surface rust on a few razors, but it’s a result of the blades stored in them (yes, even SS blades), but not the razors themselves.

TSC TOU, doesn’t apply to your channel…. Only to the videos you post on TSC. As I understand it. So no need to do anything privately.

So, as I understand it, if it fits TOU, post away…. If not, just keep it on your channel, and don’t post it here. No worries.
Review the TOU again, but that’s how I understand it.

I’ll go review the TOU again just to make sure I understand everything. Seamed pretty self explanatory but you can never be too careful.

Stainless?? Stainless steel razors should not rust. I get surface rust on a few razors, but it’s a result of the blades stored in them (yes, even SS blades), but not the razors themselves.

I kid you not, it was a real thing. I don’t know, maybe it’s the St. Louis humidity, but I have stainless Colt 1911s that rusted last year and I had to get them refinished. It was the darndest thing. Now I’m starting to see it on the stems of my razors where the handle screws in .

How true my brother!

That sounds all well and good until my tour ends and I have so much shaving gear I have palletize it and put it on a C17 .

In all seriousness though I appreciate the courtesy and if I need something I’ll reach out.

Back