The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How many shaves per blade?

ou guys who only use a blade for a few shaves would be surprised what you can get out of a blade if you just commit to using one for a while
My old barber used a DE blade for at least a month of shaves. I've used an AC Pro blade for more than 40 3 pass shaves, and I have a friend who used a straight for more than 130 shaves only stropping on linen and leather. This hobby has its tribal culture, requiring mythically sensitive skin that can detect a drop off in performance that is the envy of science.

My old barber used a DE blade for at least a month of shaves. I've used an AC Pro blade for more than 40 3 pass shaves, and I have a friend who used a straight for more than 130 shaves only stropping on linen and leather. This hobby has its tribal culture, requiring mythically sensitive skin that can detect a drop off in performance that is the envy of science.
So do you go 130 shaves with a straight not doing any touch ups on the edge? Or do you have sensitive skin ? 😜

So do you go 130 shaves with a straight not doing any touch ups on the edge? Or do you have sensitive skin ? 😜
I've only gone around 50 shaves without honing. But my edges don't last as long as a razor honed by a pro. The razor that went 130+ was then sent to another friend who shaved with it and thought it was still fine. Both of these guys are pro honers: one for jnats, the other for Cotis.

I've only gone around 50 shaves without honing. But my edges don't last as long as a razor honed by a pro. The razor that went 130+ was then sent to another friend who shaved with it and thought it was still fine. Both of these guys are pro honers: one for jnats, the other for Cotis.
Wow, I was just kidding with you (y)

I think i have put about 100 or so shaves on a SR with only stropping on webbing and leather. it was after a move and for whatever reason i just continued to use the razor i had kept out for a solid year before unpacking the rest of my gear. at the time i was shaving 2-3 times a week on average so 100 maybe conservative but i also wasn't keeping track at the time.

im a year old in wetshaving, still experimenting with the blades before i can pull the trigger on 100pack. most of the time i use 2 shaves/blade as it starts to give me tugging on neck area, but brands like personna, polsilver, GSB- they can give me 3 shaves easily and then i throw them away even if they aren't dull

im a year old in wetshaving, still experimenting with the blades before i can pull the trigger on 100pack. most of the time i use 2 shaves/blade as it starts to give me tugging on neck area, but brands like personna, polsilver, GSB- they can give me 3 shaves easily and then i throw them away even if they aren't dull

Have you tried Gillette 7’o clock yellow packet?
Bic chromium are good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you tried Gillette 7’o clock yellow packet?
Bic chromium are good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gillette yellow doesnt agree with my face much, they are quite sharp but not smooth for me..
Bic chrome is one blade i want to try along with wilkinsons swords, gillette super plats 5+2 and bolzanos

I haven't been tracking, but I' know I'm well past two months on my current blade. I know a lot of people do not believe me, or think that I'm enduring bad shaves just to prove a point or something...... but I tell you my last few shaves have been amazing. Super close, near BBS shaves. Very smooth and comfortable.

I haven't been tracking, but I' know I'm well past two months on my current blade. I know a lot of people do not believe me, or think that I'm enduring bad shaves just to prove a point or something...... but I tell you my last few shaves have been amazing. Super close, near BBS shaves. Very smooth and comfortable.
Broke out the Techmatic again, did you........just joking.....

I usually get 5 shaves out of an Astra SP. More on a Voskhod, but i forgot how many. A bumch more on Wizamet, but I haven’t counted. I’m of no help.

This amazes me KJ! I get 7 days out of a Feather and usually just 5-7 out of Gillette's. Ha me wondering if it's toughness of the beard growth or what it might be. My beard grows like wire practically. I am getting more longevity from shower shaving because my growth is so much softer when I take the razor to it. You are Spiderman, so maybe that has something to do with it :LOL:

I am getting more longevity from shower shaving because my growth is so much softer when I take the razor to it.
I do shave immediately after my shower. I’ve always felt that a hot shower is the best preshave. I wash my face with a good soap right at the end of my shower, to prep my face as well.

I do shave immediately after my shower. I’ve always felt that a hot shower is the best preshave. I wash my face with a good soap right at the end of my shower, to prep my face as well.
You know, I need to start doing that. My neck gets major irritation most days and the few times I've tried to forgo the ATG to ease it, I felt unshaved and incomplete.

You know, I need to start doing that. My neck gets major irritation most days and the few times I've tried to forgo the ATG to ease it, I felt unshaved and incomplete.
I gave up on ATG, a long time ago..... its to irritating to me, most of the time. I typically do WTG, then two XTG passes (each direction). THen if I'm feeling froggy and want to touch up, I'll do a diagonal upwards stroke (kind of a hybrid XTG/ATG pass).

I wholeheartedly agree that with most blades they get better after a few shaves. Personna Blue is one of the longest lasting for me, easily getting over 30 shaves.
The one blade challenge also helped me realize the lifecycle of a blade and how they change over the course of a month. I think many times people will blame a bad shave on the blade, but it could have been a number of things and the next shave on that same blade would have been just fine. In my experience, blades don't usually just go from fine one shave to terrible the next. You can feel them starting to fall off, unless they get damaged or something.

Back