The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

How many shaves per blade?

Shavin’ Yeti

Sr. Shave Member
I’m just wondering how many shaves a blade should give you? I’m still trying out different blades, so I generally only use then for about 4-5 shaves before they go into the blade band. When I notice the first drop in performance, I change blades.

I have seen videos on YT with some guys using a blade for 20+ shaves (one was over 40 and talking about getting to 100 shaves).

I’m just wondering how many shaves a blade should give you? I’m still trying out different blades, so I generally only use then for about 4-5 shaves before they go into the blade band. When I notice the first drop in performance, I change blades.

I have seen videos on YT with some guys using a blade for 20+ shaves (one was over 40 and talking about getting to 100 shaves).
It all depends on how it works for you. I believe you are spot on, ditch it when it starts to loose performance. Blades are so cheap, it's really not worth compromising a shave for a half a penny (or whatever one shave on a single razor is out of a 100 pack). I typically get 4 shaves out of mine. I usually change them every week, so that's 3-4 shaves.

That said, there's people who claim to get 100. But, imo, it's wholey unnecessary.

It all depends on how it works for you. I believe you are spot on, ditch it when it starts to loose performance. Blades are so cheap, it's really not worth compromising a shave for a half a penny (or whatever one shave on a single razor is out of a 100 pack). I typically get 4 shaves out of mine. I usually change them every week, so that's 3-4 shaves.

That said, there's people who claim to get 100. But, imo, it's wholey unnecessary.
Thanks for the information. That’s what I was thinking in terms of using a new blade each week. At a blade per week, a 100 pack will last almost 2 years. I just can’t see how a blade used 30+ times doesn’t lose performance.

Thanks for the information. That’s what I was thinking in terms of using a new blade each week. At a blade per week, a 100 pack will last almost 2 years. I just can’t see how a blade used 30+ times doesn’t lose performance.
I've never gone over 10, so I can't be sure. I am with you though, even with the front best of hair, it still has to dull a bit.

100 pack over 2 years... That's like $5-10 a year for blades, brand depending. I don't think anyone needs it to be more cost efficient than that.

For the most part I only have Astra SP with a few ticks of other random/popular types.

The better blades, of which Astra is on for me, usually net me 10 or more shaves. I’m also bad about remembering where a blade is at and changing them out. Thankfully only a few times have I pushed a blade a shave too far.

I don’t use one particular brand of blade and I also don’t count how many shaves per blade. I only do a single pass because any more than that is just too close for me. I also don’t shave consistently. Needless to say I get a lot of shaves per blade! A 100 pack will probably last me ages.

If a brand of blade doesn’t last me at least two weeks, then it’s not a brand I keep around. I usually average 2 week to a month on a blade, but I rarely keep track. I know in one razor currently I’ve been going for two months, and while I’ve used it for most shaves, I’ve used a few other razors too. My record, of the times I’ve kept track, is 115 shaves.

If a brand of blade doesn’t last me at least two weeks, then it’s not a brand I keep around. I usually average 2 week to a month on a blade, but I rarely keep track. I know in one razor currently I’ve been going for two months, and while I’ve used it for most shaves, I’ve used a few other razors too. My record, of the times I’ve kept track, is 115 shaves.
There we go! Someone who has gone 100+ on a blade...

So, just for my information:

3 passes?

Soft or wiry facial hair?

Any pre/post use routine to lengthen the blade?

On, say, a 100 shave blade... Do you notice any difference between shave 1... 20.. 50... 100? Any efficiency loss?

Inquiring minds want to know. Lol.

I found when blades start to change for me and take them out before that mark. So for DE blades I only go three shaves and for SE I go 5-6.

I don’t take them out of the razor so I have a diary app I use to keep track of what’s in what.

That's nice, I use dice (y)
Me too! I use a bunch of d10, like these guys. Works well and I can even load a new blade and Mark it 0 for unused.
c269070b261d2a898afc8db058ffe828.jpg

I generally use a new blade every shave or every other shave.
I find that blades done even start getting really good until 3-5 shaves in. Usually the first couple shaves are the roughest.
Me too! I use a bunch of d10, like these guys. Works well and I can even load a new blade and Mark it 0 for unused.
Exactly.... and two dice together will get you up to 99 shaves!

3 passes?
Soft or wiry facial hair?
Any pre/post use routine to lengthen the blade?
On, say, a 100 shave blade... Do you notice any difference between shave 1... 20.. 50... 100?
3 pass + touchup for most shaves. Average facial hair I guess. Nothing special, shower is my pre-shave prep.
First few shaves are the worst. Then the blade edge smoothes out, usually in the 3-5 shave range. Then it’s pretty steady from there on out. Sometimes there’s a little tiny drop after a month. But not enough to toss. Once you’re that far in, there’s very little that changes on a blade. If it gets uncomfortable, I will for sure toss it. But I usually toss it before that. My determining factor for tossing a blade is closeness. If by 11-12 o’clock, I have a lot of stubble (equivalent to what I’d normally get by the evening), then the blade is no longer doing it’s job.

You guys who only use a blade for a few shaves would be surprised what you can get out of a blade if you just commit to using one for a while, and push past what may seem like an uncomfortable shave.

We usually do a one blade challenge in February to test this out. I used to always change my blade after a week, until I joined a February challenge and realized I could go a month (or longer) with a blade. Yeah, they are cheap, but why not get the optimal use out of them?

Back