The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

HomelikeShaving CT*PT (START) Razor

Tried out the .90 OC plate on the START razor and just to see how it compared to another modern OC, I put it up against the RR GC JAWS for tonight’s shave. I’ll cut to the chase and just say it like I felt it in the shave. The RR JAWS .84 has an ever so slightly edge in blade feel and even smaller edge in efficiency compared to the START .90 OC. And I think and think is the key word here, the JAWS razor has that positive blade exposure over the START which I believe has neutral blade exposure. The wider spacing in the teeth of the JAWS might contribute to those two aspects. That being said, without any reserve,biased prejudice or doubt, the START is clear and above the smoother shaver of the two while just ever so slightly lagging behind in efficiency and blade feel which some would consider a plus.

B585E545-1CF7-4DDC-B740-F137C33856FD.jpeg

How was the shave? Excellent to be honest between these two competing razor makers that bring excellent value and performance to the wet shave theatre. The shave was a 3 pass affair with the RR JAWS .84 on the left and the START .90 on the right. On the first pass (WTG) to my surprise, both razors knocked down nearly a full days growth with ease and similar face feel on both sides once the first pass was complete. The START as I said before doesn’t have the blade feel and assertiveness of the JAWS but, it still cut through the whiskers with a smooth light blade feel and I liked it. Went for a face rinse and lathered up for pass #2 which is south to north (ATG) from the bottom of my neck to the burns. The RR JAWS showed it’s pedigree in this pass with an effortless pass that had me at a BBS on the left cheek and very close to it on the neck. The START though wasn’t outclassed by any stretch. Equal to the JAWS with a BBS feel on the right cheek and just a couple extra strokes on the neck to match the JAWS work on the opposite side. I really could have stopped there and been a happy shaver but, decided to chase the newborn since little was needed to get there. Pass #3 was just about touch ups around the neck, jawline and Sir Adam. The JAWS cleaned up its area nicely as did the START with perhaps an extra stroke or two to be certain. I used the START to clean up the toughest spot on my neck which is both sides of Sir Adam. The START was better equipped with its smoother feel to really get in there and eliminate the few stragglers that were trying to hang on. Brilliant clean up, just brilliant. Rinsed and did a complete face feel and both sides were just identical in finish. No irritation, nics, cuts or weepers from neither of the combatants and the alum pass just confirmed to me that it wasn’t really needed. Fantastic shave, period.

So, which of the two did I prefer for shave quality and feel? Ironically, both. I love blade feel in a razor as I’ve grown accustomed to it over the couple of years I’ve been wet shaving with safety razors. But, I enjoy a smooth cutting razor that allows me to be a bit more relaxed at times and allows me to work into those tough spots without worrying if I’ll draw blood or not. I think the JAWS gets it though just by the slimmest of margins for me. I might have to get in a shave or two more to be more definitive. First, I’ll put the START .90 OC up against the regular RR GC .84 as I think that would be a better comparison.

To be continued.....

Thank you, Gents. Both are just great razors. One has blade feel with less of a smooth feel while the other exhibits an incredible smoothness with less blade feel yet, the end results are very, very close to one another. Can't go wrong with either one....
Sounds like the comparison of the RFB and the NEW Deluxe.

Well, another shave that was both smooth and efficient. Just like last nights shave, it was the HomelikeShaving START and this time, the RR GC .84 OC. And honestly, these two went at it Mano a Mano. Before I get into the shave, I just wanted to mention that all these shaves have been with Gillette Platinum blades with equal use of shaves among them. The GP’s have been absolutely outstanding in sharpness, smoothness and longevity. Just a real good performing blade that has me pleasantly surprised. Ok, unto the shave.......

F3DDB082-31D4-4D94-A4B8-2DE33A98F452.jpeg

For those that read my previous post on the shave between the JAWS vs the START, I gave the edge just barely to the JAWS not because it was more efficient or smoother but, rather I attained a BBS finish with lesser strokes as compared to the START OC. Wasn’t by much but, I do take that into account as less work leads in theory to potentially less chance of irritation. That being said, I buffed and cleaned up with the START around my more difficult areas and never felt any of the irritation gremlins pop up around those spots. Not that the START is mild, it’s just very, very smooth with the minimal blade feel that still exhibits great cutting action. Smooth Operator is an understatement for the START .90 OC.

Tonight’s shave was another 3 pass assignment between these two and it was a very close battle between the two. Each razor took a half, START on the Left, RR GC on the Right and started WTG. Right from the get go again, the START is just the smoother performer here. The teeth on the OC are just more rounded and better finished giving a much better face feel over the RR GC OC. Not as big a difference from the JAWS the night before but, still quite noticeable. I played a bit with the angle to make sure I was at the optimum cutting angle and just let it drop with the lightest of pressure. Pure, smooth strokes right on down to the bottom of the neck taking down quite a bit of whiskers. The sound is a bit muted but, trust me, it’s doing its thing and doing it well. Moved over the left and the RR GC and felt it right from the first stroke the noticeably audible effect of the razor cutting through the whiskers with a nice but subtle blade feel. Nothing like with the JAWS but, certainly there and perhaps just a tiny bit more feel over the START, barely. The RR GC did its work though not as smooth in face feel and the first pass was complete. A quick cold water rinse and face feel. Practically identical in feel on what was removed and what was left to get done. Lathered up and went for pass #2.

ATG, south to north from the bottom of the neck to the burns. Grabbed the RR GC first and proceeded with smooth short stokes and cleared the neck from the throat to the jawline and ear. Noticed the tinniest of weepers near Sir Adam and a quick finger and soap dab took care of it. Continued up to the cheeks, chin, corner of the mouth and right up to the burns. A nice whisker reducing pass, BBS on the cheeks and very light stragglers in the neck area after a quick feel. Noticed another small weeper at the corner of my mouth, hit it with water, gone. Besides the two weepers, a real nice pass. Grabbed the START and did the same on the left side. Good Lord, is this thing smooth! Cleared out the neck area up to the jawline and ears and did a quick touch around Sir Adam’s left side. Went to the cheeks, chin , corner of the mouth and finished at the burns. That was like ice running over your skin. Even better was that not did I have a BBS finish on the cheeks but, my neck and throat area on the left side were there too. I must have got the angle precisely as it mowed through everything plus the quick clean up around Sir Adam’s left. That was impressive Ladies & Gents. I have to use a little more care with both GC’s to achieve the finish that the START completed around my throat. Might not mean much to some but, to me that’s THE TOUGHEST spot for me to clean out properly without getting into any mishaps or struggles. Mental note made here Guys. Did a complete cold water rinse and I was practically there. Some touch up work/buffing at the bend of the chin and on the right side of Sir Adam and neck. Lathered up the neck area on the right as the left side was set and slopped some suds on the chin. Grabbed the RR GC to do the clean up around the neck and throat and pretty much got most of it but, it took a little bit of work and I still felt a couple of stragglers that I couldn’t catch somehow. Decided to use the START to try and finish off what the RR GC started. That was the ticket. Cleared it with ease with nothing left behind and continued to buff out the chin in 4-5 strokes. Done. I felt a bit of heat around the right side of Sir Adam and I knew that I had gotten a little over zealous using the RR GC in trying to clean that area out. The alum would tell the story later. Put the gear down and cold water rinse and face feel. Baby Buttocks feel was in full splendor. Fabulous feeling shave. Went on to the alum pass and just as I thought, nice exclamation point at Sir Adam with just a tiny bit of redness. Irritation and redness though was gone within 20-30 min once the Thayers Medicated & Pinaud got in the game. A great shave was had.

So, these two went at it and it was a real good shave off. Both performed flawlessly with just about the same feel in effectiveness and efficiency. Just a tiny bit of blade feel for the RR GC over the START but, the START had it in smoothness and face feel. Plus, no weepers, nics or cuts to speak of on the START side while a couple of weepers and a little bit of irritation on the RR GC half. And perhaps I should take some of the blame for user error and zealousness for not using a bit more care in clearing out that specific area as I’ve been successful in many previous shaves with the RR GC. Thing is, I’ve still had to use a bit of care in performing those shaves whereas the START nearly completed it without me giving it a second thought. Same as the night before as the START proved to be easier to use in those more troublesome areas. That smoothness that it exhibits is a key factor in giving me a bit more confidence in knowing it’s going to get it done without provoking irritation or worse yet a nic or cut. Big plus for me anyway you slice it.

The START gets the nod from me tonight. I also think that although the START is intuitive and an easy razor to get right, I believe it is a bit more angle dependent to get the most out of it during a shave and being as efficient as it can be. I think I maintained better positioning and found the START’s sweet spot throughout the shave. Did I mention that this is an uber smooth shaver? Because it is. Looking forward to seeing the JAWS again down the road and see if it can turn the tide. Might be a tall order as the JAWS is a very efficient feeling razor but, I think the START is a gamer.....

Next up, the 1.18 SB........

Real quick. I forgot to post a side profile of the START and RR GC side by side. Someone had asked me to take a quick pic of it. START on the right, RR GC on the left.... not huge but, definitely noticeable that the RR GC has the lower profile of the two.

A89D4013-D836-4AFC-BA68-76A67774182D.jpeg

Got in an early morning shave today as I took off from work to accompany the Misses on a couple of errands plus get a few things at Home Depot for the home. Anyways, since it was bright and early I went with the same START with the 1.18 plate vs the CG L3 plate for this shave. Put in 2 fresh GP’s, grabbed the soap for the shave after a nice shower and went to work.

4BBFA11A-633F-4E10-9F1A-CD92D39B4FD3.jpeg

Long story short, the CG L3 is a Samurai that sticks to the code of BUSHIDO in every stroke. “LIFE IN EVERY BREATH” is what came to mind as I put the razor to my face and neck on every whisker decapitating stroke. I mean that in a good way. This thing lays whiskers out like the 47 Ronin did to their enemies to avenge their Masters death and restore their honor. Yet, Like fine Japanese Steel it did it with superb efficiency and surprisingly decent smoothness. A couple notches below the START 1.18 but, still very good on the skin. Requires a good touch and sound technique because one errant pass and you’ve got some weepers, nics or blood from cuts to worry about. With solid care, it’s a precision instrument that won’t ever fail in removing the whiskers and leaving ones mug as if chiseled out of pure granite. That being said, the START 1.18 gave me the exact same result on it’s side with a much smoother feeling shave that never left me to think I have to be careful here or there. The efficiency of the cut is ratcheted up on the CG L3 exponentially over the START and I achieved a complete BBS shave on the CG side in 2 glorious passes whilst the START needed 3 complete passes to get me there as well. Again, just to be fair here, I still used the START to clean up around Sir Adam’s area as it does it better than any razor I’ve tried to date. I could have most certainly done it with the CG but, why take a chance when you have something that can practically eliminate the “if I make a mistake here, it won’t be good” factor to nearly zero? It’s a no-brainer in my shaving book.

I can say with no doubt and certain impunity that the START razor in whatever base configuration is perhaps one of the easiest, most comfortable yet efficient feeling razor that I have come to experience in quite some time. The fit and tolerances are impeccable with a precision that is only matched by higher end razor artisan manufacturers (which also includes RR’s Gamechanger which is just astounding on how they can deliver a quality product for such a low price). I agree with Shavemd as it is not as nearly nicely finished as those artisan producers. Still, it’s a hell of a razor that delivers consistently great & comfortable shaves. In the end that’s what it’s all about Gents. Every shaver or should I say the far greater majority of shavers wants a great and comfortable shave in their daily regime.

Look at it this way. The complete kit was a total investment of $165 including shipping to the States. I ordered and received a complete razor kit with 4 differing base plates in 3 gap sizes, top cap and handle packaged in a very classy box with very good attention to packaging detail and care. To my surprise (a good surprise mind you) it delivered above and beyond my expectations. The company and owner is a pleasure to deal with and is willing to go the extra mile to get things right for the consumer. In baseball terms, they just didn’t hit a home-run, it was a Grand Salami (Slam) that cleared the bases. On their first go they stepped up to the plate and delivered. I’m not telling you gents to drop your razors during mid-shave and get yours now though, I’m pretty sure Homelikeshaving wouldn’t mind the ra-ra on my end to help sales, the proof is in the pudding. Look at all the reviews on this and other forums especially the YouTube reviews have been very, very positive across the board. We can’t be all in cahoots to promote this particular product. It just works, period.

In the end, would I tell you or others to go buy one? No. What I can say and tell you is that I would recommend it in a nano-second over any other razor that I have used or experienced, US made or not. Great price, great razor, enough said......

Happy Shaves Gents!

Got back home today from my trip and these were waiting for me in the mail. A couple of prototypes in the 1.3 gap plate sizes from HomelikeShaving. A copy and paste below from another forum...

Well, shave was done a little while back. Nothing new to say except that it was a super close and fairly smooth shave. The 1.3 is not a huge jump up in blade feel as compared to the Original 1.18 SB but, the efficiency at which the razor and blade combo takes down hair is stunning. A complete 2 pass shave with a slight touch up on the chin and Sir Adam, that’s all she wrote folks. I get a bit more audible blade feedback with the 1.3 and the slightest bump in blade feel. But honestly, you don’t need a huge jump in gap for your skin to feel the increased blade feel and the cutting prowess that it can potentially exhibit. And cutting prowess, this baby delivers while still keeping the signature smoothness that it is known for. Don’t get me wrong, as I feel it has a bit more tendency to bite over the 1.18 if you get sloppy. Otherwise, it’s a natural progression from the previous blade size.

There is a slight change in this prototype compared to the production version. As you know the blade tabs are covered on the START. Well, with this version, the blade tabs are ever so slightly exposed. Not as pronounced as say a Karve but, just enough for one to notice and feel. For those that like to have blade tabs exposed for removal and install, happy camper. To me it makes no difference as I have no preference in either of the formats.

On a side note, my friend Sergei sent me a full sized tub sample of his Bear Tallow soap. Just an awesome performing soap that builds a rich, creamy lather that delivers on protection, glide and uber slickness. And the scent is just right, not to weak or to strong. A clean Fougere type vibe with some citrus mixed in. Good stuff......

A superb shave.....

D77CB60D-CB56-4084-BB71-FDD3BF6B9ED3.jpeg

Both finishes in and in sb/OC configuration.....
84358C5C-631E-4276-AB2A-5CA20F6E7B4E.jpeg

D01CFCD7-3569-40F3-8442-42AB8B8B3FBE.jpeg

B96394F4-64FB-41FB-9C12-C272A9F7848B.jpeg

My own START razor on the left, prototype on the right....
AF88F61E-6186-4509-895C-BD2A134E3B18.jpeg

5A975AFF-668C-4E31-A2EA-9E065565FCF6.jpeg

B80AA6B9-3D5B-4740-8013-16825DFE2B20.jpeg

Attachments

• FF7D97CF-D266-4285-A883-ED53CDD5B78F.jpeg
    FF7D97CF-D266-4285-A883-ED53CDD5B78F.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 0
Shave #2 tonight with the 1.3 START sb prototype configuration and it was just as good if not better than yesterday’s shave. A nice 2 pass shave with light touch up work around Sir Adam. Used the same blade which was the Gillette Black Ninja and the Bear Tallow soap. A really nice feel in shave action where you get nice blade feel yet it maintains nearly the same smoothness from the 1.18 plate. As Homelikeshaving stated in one of the posts, the top cap is slightly narrower to give a bit more blade reveal/exposure without having to go big on gap size. I still believe the cutting edge is close to neutral but, it could have the slightest in positive blade positioning relative to the guard and cap (shave plane). I can’t really say as I haven’t used any calipers/veneers or mic’d it. It just shaves really freaking good.....

FDEA7CA6-9745-4958-962B-BB04019C5A4E.jpeg

A sweet and satisfying shave with the START prototype. Same blade and soap combo from the previous 2 shaves and nothing but BBS finishes in all three. Minus the 1st day where I had just the tiniest bit of irritation on my neck from some touch ups, they have been irritation free since without any cuts, nics or weepers. Good balance and weight with a very rigidly held blade between the cap and base plate that shows no flex or chatter during the shave. Cleaning/rinsing the razor is easy and quick as is the case with their production version. Caveat with the razor is perhaps maybe a bit better knurling or slightly deeper serrations in the handle to give a better tactile feel. Not that I felt that the handle would slip because it never has but, it would just add a bit more trust and confidence knowing that it won’t slip because of excess soap. It just sets you up to be in the comfort zone with a very capable razor from the get go.

Next up will be the 1.3 Open Comb variation. An increase in blade feel? More cutting action and smooth or will it be a harsher feeling shave? Can’t wait to find out....

747CAF0B-7AC3-4544-A87C-51B63B6E19AC.jpeg

Shave #4 and first with the START prototype 1.3 open comb. Identical in fit, feel and precise fitment of all three components. Precise blade alignment that is very rigid and supported equally identically to the safety bar version. Only difference being it’s an open comb and the polish finish. Used the same Gillette 7 O’Clock SP (Black Ninja) and the only change was the software in the soap plus aftershave. By the way, the WSP BlackBeard in Formula T is truly a phenomenal performing soap with a scent that is intoxicatingly awesome. Nearly perfect cold weather scent that produces a vanilla, honey and tobacco flower type scent with a sort of amber like vibe floating in and out when applying the lather that is divine. This soap is a performer as is all of Lee’s soap creations. Quality stuff. Anyways, back to the shave and it was a good one. A 2 pass affair with the slightest of touch ups on the chin and it was over. For starters, I think this START open comb razor exhibited a bit of a smoother feel while still giving excellent feel and cutting action over the safety bar version. I could be wrong but, I felt as though if felt more forgiving on my face for some reason yet it still gave me just the slightest touch of blade feel. The razor just went through the whiskers with ease and authority. Smooth, smooth and smooth. More shaves to follow just to confirm my initial experience with this capable razor and the 1.3 gap plate. Amazing how a razor can up the feel in blade and cutting efficiency with the increase in gap yet still be as smooth or smoother than a straight/safety bar version. I’m liking what HomelikeShaving is doing here....

56094D7B-EB87-4550-BFFF-1950AC4D0923.jpeg

Shave #5 was another good and efficient shave. I’ll be honest, last night’s shave was so good and close, I really didn’t have my normal nearly full 24hr. growth. But, I had enough for a complete ATG pass and a shake down buff on the chin. Yes, yesterday evenings shave was that close yet very comfy and the razor again is quite soft on the face for bringing a tiny bit more of blade feel to the game. I have not felt any tenderness for shaving five straight days with the increased efficiency in how both these razors perform. There is a definite upgrade in blade feel as the narrower top cap gives one just a tad bit more blade exposure on the skin. Neither one of these razors are intimidating at all and just do what they’re supposed to do. And that’s giving one a comfortable yet highly efficient feeling shave. I’m going to skip a day and get one more shave in with both giving each one a side just as a comparison. Not a single bad shave so far. Impressive indeed....

8EFC8868-962A-491A-8D23-180C280FB1AF.jpeg

I’m just looking at those labels and assuming you were strutting you stuff with your feathered hair blowing in the wind all day.

Shave no.#6 with the both of these prototypes. And an amazingly efficient yet smooth shave. I skipped a day to get a bit more growth and see if I can get a full 3 pass shave in just to get more shave time in and just because I’ve been liking the shaves with these two very much. I have bad news in that regard as I failed to get a 3 pass shave with either one of them. A straight up 2 pass plus a buff on the chin and a clean up pass around Sir Adam. I brought in 2 fresh Dorco blades named appropriately Titans. Sharp, smooth, comfy and cheap these new blades from Dorco. Not a big fan of the Dorco brand but, these have been a pleasant surprise. Love the packaging and presentation of this steel. Used Shannon’s Lady Luck for the suds and not a single thing to complain about. Just smooth and easy passes with both of these well made razors. I will say that I confirmed my belief in that for me the 1.3 OC proved to be just a bit more smoother on my skin over the 1.3 SB. Not by much, but noticeable at least to me. Why? Don’t have the slightest idea. Perhaps it has to do with the open comb allowing a tad bit more of lather to remain and add to the OC versions ability to glide some. Or possibly the better polish finish adding to give less drag on the skin. Or, maybe the Earth’s tilt on it’s axis with the Moon’s gravitational pull on the tides in conjunction with the Magnetic Poles of our planet aligned everything right for me. Honestly, who the heck knows and who cares. All I want is a good, comfortable yet efficient feeling shave. And I think that’s what the far majority of de wet shavers look for as well. These two definitely do that. One more shave tomorrow morning and these will be cleaned, sanitized and be ready for the first gent on the pass around.....

44FB28F0-E981-4FBE-A0BE-D517BC49FBFC.jpeg

Shave #5 was another good and efficient shave. I’ll be honest, last night’s shave was so good and close, I really didn’t have my normal nearly full 24hr. growth. But, I had enough for a complete ATG pass and a shake down buff on the chin. Yes, yesterday evenings shave was that close yet very comfy and the razor again is quite soft on the face for bringing a tiny bit more of blade feel to the game. I have not felt any tenderness for shaving five straight days with the increased efficiency in how both these razors perform. There is a definite upgrade in blade feel as the narrower top cap gives one just a tad bit more blade exposure on the skin. Neither one of these razors are intimidating at all and just do what they’re supposed to do. And that’s giving one a comfortable yet highly efficient feeling shave. I’m going to skip a day and get one more shave in with both giving each one a side just as a comparison. Not a single bad shave so far. Impressive indeed....

View attachment 17066
How's the Ravish scent?

Back