The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

HomelikeShaving CT*PT (START) Razor

How's the Ravish scent?

Vanilla, Sandalwood and slight citrus. Leaning towards a gourmandish almost chocolaty type of a scent. Not my favorite to be honest but, the Misses gave it 2 thumbs up. The splash is a bit more linear while still having the vanilla, it is tempered somewhat with a bit more woods and citrus shining through. Performance is excellent, on both.....

Shave no.#7 and the final one before going out on tour. Went back to the 1.3 sb today with the Dorco Titan Blade & Tabac. Silky smooth lather and wonderful 2 pass plus chin buff. Actually cleaned up the Sir Adam area (my toughest spot to finish) extremely well. I did give myself the slightest of irritation on the chin but, that was more due to my over zealous action of achieving a glass smooth finish than the action of the razor itself. Silly me but, I’m a chaser of skin smoothness. And at times I’m at fault of trading and achieving the skin tight smoothness for the smallest bit of discomfort. The START 1.3 plate though gives excellent feedback and a direct feel in letting you know what it’s doing and how it’s doing it. Superb shave, period.

In conclusion and to summarize my shaves with the 1.3 prototypes is quite simple. It’s a fantastic shave in either configuration. Blade feel is deceptively amped up but, not unbearable or intolerable in feel. It’s the complete opposite in my estimation. Truthfully and realistically it’s in the razors design and shave geometry that makes them so good. Achieving a greater feel in cutting efficiency while at the same time maintaining near equal smoothness to its previous plate designs is no small feat. HomelikeShaving is putting in some serious thought and work in trying to achieve the best of two mediums, smooth and efficient. And honestly, that type of ground has only been achieved by a select few modern razor designer/makers today. Form and function is what these razors bring to the table and at a price point that the average Joe can actually afford and be proud to own. There’s a plate and size for every face and beard regardless of how many times a week one might shave. It’s an impressive razor with an equally impressive shave system of plate sizes and caps to adjust your shave accordingly. Do I have any caveats? Yes, I do. One and perhaps is the most important factor is its feel. That being the handle itself. It feels good but, with some knurling on it I feel the tactile grip would be greatly improved taking out all doubt of slipping or falling from ones hands. Let’s face it and speak some truths here. Not everyone is safety conscious and there are some shavers out there that, to put it nicely are just complete klutzes or accident prone. Added grip would most certainly help in this aspect. And honestly, mistakes will happen with the best of us regardless of care or technique. For those that just seem to get into a predicament during their shave more times than not, you shouldn’t be shaving. Think the Old Shaolin Monk Buddhist Master and grow the hair. You’ll be better off. Fu-Manchu it brother...

In the end, would I buy either or? Yes, in a heartbeat. I actually prefer the open comb version as somehow it felt smoother and gentler on my face. Not by much but, it was noticeable. I’ve cleaned these two razors up and sanitized them. They are ready and boxed waiting to be shipped to the first recipient.

Happy shaves my wet shaving brothers....

5FEC137E-6D4C-4267-A879-240C3C45B28B.jpeg

Shave no.#7 and the final one before going out on tour. Went back to the 1.3 sb today with the Dorco Titan Blade & Tabac. Silky smooth lather and wonderful 2 pass plus chin buff. Actually cleaned up the Sir Adam area (my toughest spot to finish) extremely well. I did give myself the slightest of irritation on the chin but, that was more due to my over zealous action of achieving a glass smooth finish than the action of the razor itself. Silly me but, I’m a chaser of skin smoothness. And at times I’m at fault of trading and achieving the skin tight smoothness for the smallest bit of discomfort. The START 1.3 plate though gives excellent feedback and a direct feel in letting you know what it’s doing and how it’s doing it. Superb shave, period.

In conclusion and to summarize my shaves with the 1.3 prototypes is quite simple. It’s a fantastic shave in either configuration. Blade feel is deceptively amped up but, not unbearable or intolerable in feel. It’s the complete opposite in my estimation. Truthfully and realistically it’s in the razors design and shave geometry that makes them so good. Achieving a greater feel in cutting efficiency while at the same time maintaining near equal smoothness to its previous plate designs is no small feat. HomelikeShaving is putting in some serious thought and work in trying to achieve the best of two mediums, smooth and efficient. And honestly, that type of ground has only been achieved by a select few modern razor designer/makers today. Form and function is what these razors bring to the table and at a price point that the average Joe can actually afford and be proud to own. There’s a plate and size for every face and beard regardless of how many times a week one might shave. It’s an impressive razor with an equally impressive shave system of plate sizes and caps to adjust your shave accordingly. Do I have any caveats? Yes, I do. One and perhaps is the most important factor is its feel. That being the handle itself. It feels good but, with some knurling on it I feel the tactile grip would be greatly improved taking out all doubt of slipping or falling from ones hands. Let’s face it and speak some truths here. Not everyone is safety conscious and there are some shavers out there that, to put it nicely are just complete klutzes or accident prone. Added grip would most certainly help in this aspect. And honestly, mistakes will happen with the best of us regardless of care or technique. For those that just seem to get into a predicament during their shave more times than not, you shouldn’t be shaving. Think the Old Shaolin Monk Buddhist Master and grow the hair. You’ll be better off. Fu-Manchu it brother...

In the end, would I buy either or? Yes, in a heartbeat. I actually prefer the open comb version as somehow it felt smoother and gentler on my face. Not by much but, it was noticeable. I’ve cleaned these two razors up and sanitized them. They are ready and boxed waiting to be shipped to the first recipient.

Happy shaves my wet shaving brothers....

View attachment 17215
Gus thorough review and thoughts Gus

I like the one on the left. The one on the right looks aggressive as heck.

Sunday February 23, 2020
2020 Shave # 57 ( 475 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: START Razor 1.3 SB Prototype
Blade: Pol Silver SI (1)
Brush: Sprrentino Sea Foam
Soap: Strike Gold Nixon
Aftershave 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
Aftershave 2: Stirling Ramblin Man
Fragrance: Stirling Ramblin Man EdT
1582461644267.png
1st shave I went with the SB plate and while a large blade gap I had an amazingly smooth shave. I can't remember much about the 1.18 gap I previously used as I've slept a couple times since that pass around but it was my favorite. This felt good with more efficiency for the strokes. Video has more comments about it so will leave it to that while I get some coffee and cookies........

Monday February 24, 2020
2020 Shave # 58 ( 476 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: START Razor 1.3 OC Prototype
Blade: Pol Silver SI (1)
Brush: Techichi The Hive
Soap: Strike Gold Nixon
Aftershave 2: Skin Bracer
Fragrance: Guerlain L'homme Ideal L'intense

Decided to go with the OC version of the START razor while I finish what Nixon soap was left in the shave bowl from yesterday. I was spurred on to 3017 what was in the bowl due to @Maryland998 's toughing it out 3017ing his samples. Way to go Fluffy !!! 🤪 (y)

Had a great shave with the OC and it was smooth considering it was an OC with a wide 1.30 blade gap. Nice shaves with both SB and OC. Would I buy them, sure. Will I or do I NEED to.........nah, but you never know when RAD will raise it's ugly head and push me over the edge.......Video uploaded with thoughts. May use the SB 1 more time before sending it off to the next contestant.
IMG_20200224_055317670.jpg

Tuesday February 25, 2020
2020 Shave # 59 ( 477 Consecutive Shaves )
Razor: START Razor 1.3 SB Prototype
Blade: Pol Silver SI (2)
Brush: TSC Legacy Brush
Soap: Wholly Kaw La Fougere Parfaite
Aftershave 2: Vintage Brut AS
Fragrance: Vintage Brut Cologne

Shot a video that due to tablet issues didn't record for some reason. Shaved with the START 1.30 SB again. Another great shave with no drama. This is an amazingly well engineered razor and very well built with close tolerances. I prefer the SB plate not because the OC is harsh, it's just as smooth. I just prefer not to have that rake feel in an OC if can avoid it. I also prefer the polished look over the Satin finish. Am I going to purchase one of these right away. Probably not but perhaps down the road. I would sell something to make a spot for it in the den. It just doesn't fill an empty need at the moment. could spend more time with it but know others are waiting to get a turn with it. I've had enough time to know what I need to know so it will be mailed out to the next member in the pass around. Thanks Gus for overseeing this pass and Thanks to Home Like Shaving for offering the product for our review. A special thanks to you for following and responding to comments made by adjusting things as you get feedback. VERY responsive and it will lead to your product meeting the wants of people rather than just being close to what they want. Have a great day Cadre !!
IMG_20200225_055115751.jpg

Truly a wonderful shave today with the START .90 OC. Works well with every blade that I’ve used so far but, especially with Feather, Shark Platinum, Kai & an assortment of Gillettes ranging from the Black Ninjas, Greens, Yellows, Platinums plus a couple of others that escape me at the moment. I can’t speak enough on the quality of shaves it provides in terms of comfort, efficiency and overall ease of use. Undoubtedly an excellent tool and superb value in todays upscale modern de market. Definite winner for many......

0A8E8472-9F0D-4847-A613-22DFBAF874B8.jpeg

Yes, I know. This razor is halfway around the world and mostly out of stock. But, I can’t reiterate enough how effective this shave kit is. The set covers practically the whole range from mild to nicely efficient and aggressive but, still maintaining an easy on the skin quality about it. I said very early when I first started out with the Start kit that it was a superbly crafted razor kit and one of the best made in contemporary times. I still believe that and more so now. Value, craftsmanship, quality alloy and top notch shave prowess. Arguably the best razor kit that no one seems to really talk about. Shame as it really is a magnificent creation…..

E72DE5A0-E3BA-4CFE-8C16-F2C0831675F9.jpeg

Easy & smooth shave with the HomelikeShaving Start .90 razor. I used it again with a Gillette Minora blade and not a single issue relating to shave shave during nor post. Just a well made and designed razor that gives quality results every single time. Not a lot of talk on this razor likely due to the situation and conflict over in the Ukraine as it has been nearly impossible to get any goods in from Russia. Also, there are those that have drawn a line by not supporting the act from the Russian government (and the maker/producer that resides in said country) on a country that wants their independence and sovereignty. By no means am I wanting to make this a political point nor expressing a viewpoint on where I stand. Suffering and death is suffering and death, no two ways about it. Hopefully it does end soon but, it seems to be a ways off still. Regardless of the situation currently, I speak of the razor from HomelikeShaving and I consider the Start to be one of the best in its category. The complete kit at first release was available for $165 US shipped. Considering the prices today of premium alloys, higher expense in production & machinery and being produced half way around the world, it was and is a heck of a deal. When one considers that for the price mentioned earlier, one received 4 different sized gap base plates ranging from .69 up to 1.18 with an open comb variant in a .90 gap size. The .69 is a bit too mild for my liking but, everything else in the size range is a pleasure to use as the Start combines smooth & efficient performance that is undoubtedly attributed to the makers careful design and implementation that is practically seamless. In terms of shave performance and quality, it hangs with any razor designed of equal alloy and especially with those costing 2-3 times as much. Again, I’m solely speaking of the attributes of this razor and the careful design that went into making this excellent performing kit. I do wish that it was more easily attainable for the rest of the shave world but, as most know the current circumstances in play are making that possibility extremely difficult and arguably, rightly so. My thoughts and opinions on the state of affairs between the two countries in question are not needed to be said here. There are other forums and even perhaps threads within this forum that would allow for further discussio..

Here I just wanted to speak solely of a razor that delivers on a daily basis with excellent performance that exudes quality with value that is becoming exceedingly rare these days.

Great shaves to all….

16F18AD8-248B-48D7-B1FD-FCAE8A922CB0.jpeg

Back