The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello guys I’m new in this forum but having really hard time with my shaves. Please help

So should I go back to the 34C and use a voskhod? A polsilver? A feather?

Or should I stick with the old tech and use a voskhod?

As I said above, I think you are better off with the 34C, right now. And go ahead and use the Voskhod, since it appears to be working well for you.

34C may be the best first razor period. Mild, but enough blade feel that you can find the right angles.

Other than that it's about good prep. Tabak, Voshkod and 34C are alll excellent and should deliver the results you're looking for. When you get to your chin, be patient, work a bit at a time till you find your way through it. A course patch in a beard is a little like mowing a thick lawn with a push mower. Just a bit at a time, rather than plow through.

As I said above, I think you are better off with the 34C, right now. And go ahead and use the Voskhod, since it appears to be working well for you.

Thanks Spider. Will give it a try. My only problem, and again I think it’s a problem, is that since I get irritations every shave I have to wait 2 to 3 days to let the face heal but that also makes me hace to shave with a 2 to 3 day facial hair and I also feel it becomes harder to shave while having longer hair. Unless you also have some tips for that?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One tip given to me by the old and wise and old barber Dave. Shave the lather, not the hair. Doesn't matter how long your hairs are if you're just talking days. Some guys even prefer several days of growth. The difference sure does feel cooler. But just think about your pressure and just worry about shaving the lather off. The hair will go with it.

One tip given to me by the old and wise and old barber Dave. Shave the lather, not the hair. Doesn't matter how long your hairs are if you're just talking days. Some guys even prefer several days of growth. The difference sure does feel cooler. But just think about your pressure and just worry about shaving the lather off. The hair will go with it.

Ok on my next shave I’ll try 34c with the voskhod and tabac with warm water and definitely keeping it simple.

Will focus on cap riding and definitely will focus on your tip nursedave. Shaving the lather instead of worrying too much about the hair makes sense.

Thanks

Thanks Spider. Will give it a try. My only problem, and again I think it’s a problem, is that since I get irritations every shave I have to wait 2 to 3 days to let the face heal but that also makes me hace to shave with a 2 to 3 day facial hair and I also feel it becomes harder to shave while having longer hair. Unless you also have some tips for that?
Not sure if you said how many passes you are doing, but maybe cut back to doing 1 pass, and see if you can do that every day. Instead of doing a 2-3 pass shave that gives you irritation then you can't shave for a while. 1 Pass should be enough, given good technique to have an acceptable shave. Sometimes if I'm in a rush I only do one pass anyway.

Not sure if you said how many passes you are doing, but maybe cut back to doing 1 pass, and see if you can do that every day. Instead of doing a 2-3 pass shave that gives you irritation then you can't shave for a while. 1 Pass should be enough, given good technique to have an acceptable shave. Sometimes if I'm in a rush I only do one pass anyway.

I apologize for my English. I’m from Ecuador so trying my best. Haha

What I meant to say was that on my next shave I’m going to have a 4 or 5 day hair length to let the face heal. So just wanted to see if you guys had any pointers shaving with a 4 or 5 days hair length. Or just do the same routine

I don’t know why i feel it makes it harder to shave with a 4 or 5 day hair length.

Ok on my next shave I’ll try 34c with the voskhod and tabac with warm water and definitely keeping it simple.

Will focus on cap riding and definitely will focus on your tip nursedave. Shaving the lather instead of worrying too much about the hair makes sense.

Thanks

Sounds like you are on the right track. (Welcome aboard by the way)
Just to add my 2 cents:
Usually the milder the razor the smaller to effective range. This is nice as far as safety goes but makes it harder to keep the perfect shaving angle.

Picture 1.Starting with the Cap on the face and handle sticking straight out- the blade isn't cutting.
Picture 2. lowering the handle until the blade starts cutting. This is usually the razors optium angle. (as said the milder the razor the smaller the cutting window). The handle should be around the angle from the face.
Picture 3. As you lower the handle the cutting edge of the blade starts scrapping and less cutting. This causes irriation and redness as you are scrapping more than cutting. If you continue lowering the handle the safety bar start to come into play and the blade stops cutting.

What I meant to say was that on my next shave I’m going to have a 4 or 5 day hair length to let the face heal. So just wanted to see if you guys had any pointers shaving with a 4 or 5 days hair length. Or just do the same routine

I don’t know why i feel it makes it harder to shave with a 4 or 5 day hair length

Gotcha, I was just offering a suggestion so you don't have to wait so long inbetween shaves. But really, I'd change nothing no matter how many days growth there is.

I don’t know why i feel it makes it harder to shave with a 4 or 5 day hair length.

Your English is great. A couple years ago I spent a month Borja. Beautiful country with wonderful people (the cuy wasn't bad either)

Most feel they get better shaves with a 2 day growth. Won't debate that. If with your beard the growth feels like it's making it harder, why not use the trimmer to take the length down and then shave til you get comfortable?

Welcome to TSC! I hoppe you'll find your routine, you got some great advises. I would start with this
Ditch the cold water all together.
I think you stress your skin to much with hot/cold change. Still it's a bit strange that Astra sp can be to sharp in Tech, I was expecting some French pre 1930s razor. But first thing focus on your skin, also don't go for BBS right away, until you feel confident enough to try really close shave. Good luck!

Most feel they get better shaves with a 2 day growth. Won't debate that. If with your beard the growth feels like it's making it harder, why not use the trimmer to take the length down and then shave til you get comfortable?

That’s a great idea. Haven’t thought of that

Thanks Dave

Man, I fall asleep and the whole cadre jumps in with advice! Sounds like you are headed in a good direction so I will just say Good Luck next shave and let us know how it goes!

Back