The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Hello from Illinois

Welcome to The Cadre, and your new home in the Wet Shaving community! Good to have you here. Lots of amazing people here, so anything you want to know, or need to ask, we're here for you!

Lots to see, read, and get involved with here. We're much more than just a wet shaving forum. I'm here for the camaraderie more than anything else. We have so much fun. In addition to the traditional SOTD type posts, we also have a lot of Shave VLOGers, we have a section of Shaving Journals, host bi-weekly Zoom Calls, play Forum Bingo bi-monthly, bi-monthly “fantasy” sumo contest, host an annual Holiday Gift and Card exchange, and so much more.

Aside from Shaving, we’re also into pipes, cigars, coffee, watches, guns, cars, astronomy, fitness, food, BBQ, alcohol, pets, beekeeping, gardening, music, movies, and just about any other hobby out there. If you don’t see a thread already about a hobby you’re interested in…. start one!

All these activities make us more than just a Forum or Wet Shaving Community. We’re a Brotherhood, a Family, or simply put: The Cadre! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Please make sure to familiarize yourself with our Terms and Conditions Linked Here:
https://theshavingcadre.com/threads/tsc-terms-of-use-tou-revisions-updates-2-2021.3796/

Should you need any assistance in navigating the site or help please contact any of our friendly Concierge Staff.

@Spider , @NurseDave @heysi , @Fenster

or feel free to reach out to any of the owners of TSC
@BarberDave
@CVargo
@CBLindsay

Welcome @BrisketGuy ! Glad you could join in!

What are some of your favorite traditional shaving hardware/software favorites currently?

Mainly DE razors, but definitely getting into straight razors, prefer synthetic brushes. DE Razors I mainly like have become the most efficient aggressive ones. So I can do less passes. Favorites right now are Rockwell 6S , plates 5&6. Just got a Yates precision with medium and high plate, both open comb. Didn't bother getting mild plate. First straight razor I got was from a truck stop. Around $12. It's a 5/8 stainless. Have around 5 straight razor and 15 DE safety razors

First straight razor I got was from a truck stop. Around $12. It's a 5/8 stainless
Those are usually straight razors in name only. Not good quality steel and will barely hold an edge. Hopefully you’ve got some better ones now.

Yes, I wasn't expecting much either with trickster 1. But have been surprised how well it's been holding up. I now have a restored Dovo 5/8 round point full hollow. An Edelweiss 5/8 extra hollow round point and a Thiers-Issard 6/8 Spartacus hook nose full hollow with black ebony scales

Mainly DE razors, but definitely getting into straight razors, prefer synthetic brushes. DE Razors I mainly like have become the most efficient aggressive ones. So I can do less passes. Favorites right now are Rockwell 6S , plates 5&6. Just got a Yates precision with medium and high plate, both open comb. Didn't bother getting mild plate. First straight razor I got was from a truck stop. Around $12. It's a 5/8 stainless. Have around 5 straight razor and 15 DE safety razors
Nice setup. Welcome to the Cadre. I’m in the camp of more aggressive as well. I really like the Stirling with standard and hyper aggressive plate

Yes, I wasn't expecting much either with trickster 1. But have been surprised how well it's been holding up. I now have a restored Dovo 5/8 round point full hollow. An Edelweiss 5/8 extra hollow round point and a Thiers-Issard 6/8 Spartacus hook nose full hollow with black ebony scales
I’m in envy of your straights. I’m just starting with mine

It's very addictive for me . But definitely recommend the 6/8 Spartacus. The 6/8 seems to be more comfortable and easier to use for every straight I have. For a replaceable blade I have the Feather DX pearl handle and the Kamasori paired with feather proguard blades also.

Those are usually straight razors in name only. Not good quality steel and will barely hold an edge. Hopefully you’ve got some better ones now.
The trucks top razor is a Union Razor. Did research. Was American made, but now outsourced to China. It's apparently a Gold Dollar, but with even cheaper scales..

It's very addictive for me . But definitely recommend the 6/8 Spartacus. The 6/8 seems to be more comfortable and easier to use for every straight I have. For a replaceable blade I have the Feather DX pearl handle and the Kamasori paired with feather proguard blades also.
I have the FeatherSS kamisori but never liked the pro guard blades. I use Schick proline in the feather and my boti shield ac. I look forward to a TI some day, or the Tedalus 🤣🤣

I have the FeatherSS kamisori but never liked the pro guard blades. I use Schick proline in the feather and my boti shield ac. I look forward to a TI some day, or the Tedalus 🤣🤣
Yes, I'd love Tedalus slso, but a little out of my price range for now, gonna try saving up for one.

Back