The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Graydog

Mail call today. Most folks should have figured out that the two Hawaiian hardwoods for the brushes came from a former Hawaiian resident.

View attachment 49635

I got a couple of Hawaiian hardwood blanks a while ago and it was time for the Curly Mango to be turned. When the woods were sent to me, there was a piece of Kamani wood that was an odd shape and unsellable and used as packing material. I guess odd shaped woods was more available as packing material than styrofoam peanuts or bubble wrap. Anyway, I sent it along to Steve with the Curly Mango and he was able to get a nice piece out of it.

I have a friend in the Netherlands that is an expert on soaps only because he owns over 200 tubs at last count. I always intended to have either Steve or Eric turn a Hawaiian hardwood brush for me to send to him. Things kind of got critical recently when I found out he was hospitalized (I knew he was waiting for an operation, but it was not going to happen because they needed the beds for the virus patients). I thought that maybe the folks there finally gave in and let him have his operation. It was at that time that I made a request in to Steve and he was more than helpful in granting my request. I found out later that the reason he was admitted to the hospital was because he had the virus and that was why he was admitted. He is at home now, but not in the best of spirits. One of the brushes will go to him. Hopefully it will lift his spirit somewhat. The other brush will stay with me as a bond between us.

I test lathered the Curly Mango brush tonight. The brushes had a silvertip knot (Curly Mango) and a high mountain knot (Kamani) coming from Whipped Dog and so this was a two dog night project.

Thank you Steve for all your hard work on this. One of the brushes will be on it's journey to the Netherlands by the weekend.
Great Story. Wishing your friend a full recovery and many joyful shaves with his new brush.

Back