The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Gas Prices

Regular Gasoline is 1.4 and more, per liter, thats 5.3 per galon and more. You don't wanna know price of premium. In a country with less then 6k ($) GDP per capita ;)

Why Chad? Why did you start this horrible post? I am paying $4 - $4.35 per gallon, have to pay $0.10 per plastic bag and have to steal straws ...look at my face Chad, do I look HAPPY? All I want is a plastic bag for my groceries (so I can use it in my bathroom trashcan later), a dag blasted straw for my big gulp and gas prices that are less than 1/4 the hourly minimum wage. NOW the state legislature (who has apparently solved EVERY other problem we have) wants to tax soda $0.20/ounce (that's $25/gallon my Utah friend). I don't drink regular soda but I'm betting they will find a reason to impose the tax on whatever it is I AM drinking.

@Gagi your gas prices have been insane for years. I wonder though, what is the average commute distance or average miles driven? I don't do a lot of driving compared to some but I personally drive about 12k miles er year, my kids commute to school and put on at least 12k miles to do so.

@Gagi your gas prices have been insane for years. I wonder though, what is the average commute distance or average miles driven? I don't do a lot of driving compared to some but I personally drive about 12k miles er year, my kids commute to school and put on at least 12k miles to do so.
Wow, we put on about 25k a year.

My wife’s van is pretty much a family use vehicle and gets around 10000 miles a year. My big truck is another non-work vehicle and I put less than 3000 miles a year on it now. I know my usage is much less than the typical I could not imagine what the cost in time and money would be if I our family drove more than we do.

Even living in a large CA city, working in town, with all the public transportation options one has (if they could even be called options, when you have to factor in an extra hour or so to get somewhere then the extra hour or so afterward to get back), it is very difficult for the average family to get by without at least one automobile. If you have two working adults in the family, one car is doable, but very far from ideal.

I know it’s a first world perspective, but the first world society creates its own sets of issues one must manage to have a chance.

Move to Missouri guys. We're always at the cheaper end of the spectrum across the US. I filled up two days ago at $2.50

Well in rurals you don't have a choice if you want to work. I have to drive to run my route of work which is nearly an hour to one way. We're at $2.60 a gallon now. I fill the work truck twice a week besides the wifes car. One shoe doesn't fit everyone.......

That is correct, BUT I will assume you made the choice to live in the country. You can always get a horse.

My point is that we are responsible for our actions and not Big Oil. We have let ourselves become slaves to the system. Damn near every male I know needlessly has a big ass truck and rarely if ever haul anything.

That is correct, BUT I will assume you made the choice to live in the country. You can always get a horse.

My point is that we are responsible for our actions and not Big Oil. We have let ourselves become slaves to the system. Damn near every male I know needlessly has a big ass truck and rarely if ever haul anything.
Well, since you don't know me, you have no idea why I live where I live and a horse won't do the job. Yes some have a big trucks to feel good about themselves when they don't need them (I see it around me all the time). I have a 4 cylinder Ford Ranger that is overworked for the job it does for me. My choice to go small. We can't all live on top of each other in a city that WAS the country before IT was developed. Assuming things about others and trying to shoehorn everyone into the scenario that obviously frustrates you doesn't work either. Yes the society we live in as a whole has created our dependence, but not every individual in society is responsible for the situation that we are in even though we have to deal with it.

This doesn't fit everyone. If everyone lived in the city, where are you drilling for oil? Main street? Hundreds of items that you use every day are made from crude oil from the plastic in your computer, housing for your electric car batteries, to even some food items.
You like your toilet paper dont you? Are you going to log the park for your paper pulp? Where are you planting the next growth because you will need that new area for your crops.
Are you mining for the coal it takes to power your house and electric cars in your back yard? The ore it takes for the steel to build all the new buildings to accommodate all the new residents?
Maybe the new electric smelting furnace can go next door. They make a hell of a racket and are run at night to reduce load on the power grid.

Yes some of us choose to live in the country or more rural areas. Many for reasons that are beneficial to the rest of the country. It doesn't always sit well with people that earn an honest hard living providing products and services the rest of the country takes for granted to just be told "well it's your choice".

I'm not saying your intent was to work anyone up, but you have to think of the bigger picture.
And I drive a 4 cylinder 35mpg car back and forth to my job an hour away. Not a "just because" big truck. And a horse is not practical at all.

Back