The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite Summer Shaving Soaps

@bentheduck - Did you like it? It wasn't for me, but I could not put my finger on why.
I love it. But I also don't love it. No idea why. Maybe I'll try decanting a bit of it in the name of science. I know KJ mentioned that the Reserve bottles might be a different plastic than the OG stuff, so it might not funk up the same, but on the flip side of might open up more. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cryogen belongs on any summertime list, you can squabble over the performances of the soap if you want but the menthol and even the light scent (not vapor rub at all by the way, not even obvious menthol...a magical blend of tallow and menthol that can only exist somewhere between heaven and earth). My son and I were JUST talking about this soap and another made by CF, orange dreamsicle. Along with SV 70th anniversary those 2 are his favorites and he asked me to make him some of both in my one of harder MasterBarber bases. The obvious lightbulb went off, the orange dreamsicle may be a small batch just for him and a few others but the Uber cool puck of soap from the guy who loves the heck outta menthol soaps HAS TO HAPPEN.

Captains Choice bay rum? The only way to bring bay rum out of the winter months is to add lime, I found that out unintentionally by mixing the two t for someone here on the forum. I agree the CO9T has a masterful blend of spices and a burn that is so intense it’s cooling but I would put Captain’s Choice North in place of he Bay Rum. Similar characteristics but far heavier on juniper berry and the notes that stroke a cooling cord in my mind. Similar in many ways to Iron Throne, the whole concept of Iron Throne was fire and ice, the ‘heat’ of bay rum’s traditional spices cooled by the addition of some darker Oud’s and juniper berry with some undertones of menthol and of course hidden synthetic cooling agents to kick up the cooling effect far beyond the hint of menthol you MIGHT detect.

Margaritas in the “attic”. ...never, ever will get attic out of my mind. How I missed Arctic I will never know. I only tried the glacial version and of course that one belongs on a summer list. That’s a great soap of course but the scent is bright and simple with all the earmarks of summer fresh. Most importantly it’s easy to enjoy everyday regardless of temperature.

The Caties Bubbles scent sounds very interesting, I’ve never tried it but I have heard it mentioned several times.

It’s funny we associate “boozy scents” with fresh or summertime. I guess it’s also funny we call a particular scent “boozy” in the first place. ...but I digress.
and Iron Throne is Awesome Pair that with Penhaligon's Juniper Sling. but for summer You cannot leave out CBL Ethos Lime, sv 70th, PCN nuavia Verde, CBL Ghost lime all contenders

This is fun. I have CBL/ETHOS Lime on the way as well as ETHOS Melange d'argumes so I can't put those in my top 5 yet. As of now I would have to say my top 5 is:

5. Noble Otter- Lone Star. the lemon, cedar, and hay make this a wonderful summer scent. Leather is also in the scent description, but it is very subtle in my opinion.
4. Barrister and Mann- Seville. This is very citrus forward to my nose and very clean too. I believe it is supposed to be a Spanish Barbershop, but it is a fresh citrus to me.
3. Proraso- Green. Very clean and a nice cooling feel that makes you feel refreshed. I used this the other day after mowing and it was perfect.
2. ETHOS- Succès. Very pineapple forward and another fresh scent. I think a cooling agent would kick this up a notch and once Ice Dragon is released I will be getting that specifically for this soap.
1. CBL- Iron Throne. Wonderful Bay Rum scent that is also green, and the cooling agent is top notch. To me this is the perfect soap for that really hot summer day and you need to cool down. It leaves you feeling refreshed and ready for whatever that summer sun is going to throw at you. The only thing that would make this soap better is a matching aftershave.

both in my one of harder MasterBarber bases. The obvious lightbulb went off, the orange dreamsicle may be a small batch just for him and a few others but the Uber cool puck of soap from the guy who loves the heck outta menthol soaps HAS TO HAPPEN.
Those both sound amazing......

Well I have to admit I have Mot tried a bay rum soap yet and only just got my first bay rum aftershave the other day so I can't comment on bay rum until I finally break down and buy some sometime... Being as I'm still new to all of this I was interested in what qualified as summer scents also because this is really my first full summer since I started on this adventure....

I never got to try CF Orange Creamsicle, so I'm uncertain if that plays well into a soap. It certainly seemed popular on these inter-webs. For me, orange needs to be mixed right. I think I would absolutely love a great creamsicle soap with enough prominent cream to the scent (vanilla? Powder? I dunno what replicates that taste to a smell). I personally feel that most orange soaps over-do the Orange scent.

On that train of thought... I'd be intrigued by an orange, powder, and something else. The soap by Stirling, Pharaoh Dreamsicle, sounds like a winner... But Ive stopped short at trying it because the reviews seems to agree it's mostly orange. Still, I absolutely love the idea of that soap. I might grab a sample to try, just to see if the reviews are off-base. I think this qualifies as a summery scent?

Now that we're in the dead of summer, I'm also really digging Stubble Buster Moxie. It's a summery scent, imo. It's also a VERY light cologne scent... perfect for those of us who don't really dig colognes (Me!). According to trythatsoap it's based on Claiborne Curve for Men, fwiw. Someone in another thread actually recommended this brand to me... Was it you, @CBLindsay ? Thanks to whoever dropped this idea. I really like this one.

Well upon further review this would be my 2nd summer since I joined this forum in May of 2019 but I was so new last summer I had No idea what was going on. So as I previously stated I am also enjoying this as I am interested in discovering all the scents of summer.....

Now that we're in the dead of summer, I'm also really digging Stubble Buster Moxie. It's a summery scent, imo. It's also a VERY light cologne scent... perfect for those of us who don't really dig colognes (Me!).
Never heard of this stubble buster.

Ok @Spider - what is your fav BR?
I am not KJ...but I will insert myself inti this conversation anyway! 🤪 I know this is a soap thread...so if you are talking bay rum soaps...can't really help you that much...I have Stirling and CBL and that is it. I do have several Bay Rum Aftershaves:

Superior 70
Captain's Choice
Captain's Choice Co9T
I still have a little of the Bootlegger's Bay Rum left
Grand Bay - Bay Rum

I think I have a couple more...I just can't recall off the top of my head.

Anyway...My hands down favorite would be Dominica Bay Rum. Good luck finding it and if you do...it is likely to cost you more than a 17th Century Spanish Real. But Outside of Dominica Bay Rum...Grand Bay - Bay Rum is a very close second. It is very much classic bay rum and about as close to the original as you are going to get. Still made in Dominica, it has that classic scent...it doesn't project far and it doesn't last all day. So you likely will have to either apply more or something else if you want to smell all day long. It is about $20 for an eight ounce bottle and is readily available at fine shaving retailers everywhere!

1594126310768.png

Thanks. Ill check it out sometime ( the site I mean)...maybe the soap too...
I am the complete opposite of an expert on cologne scents, so I need to defer to someone else. However, the only place I found the colognes that SB soaps are supposedly based on is through trythatsoap.com ... How accurate, I dunno.

I had some samples not too long ago. The soaps are all incredibly (!) light scented. Even the ones you like the least won't offend you (yes, it's that light). Because they are cologne scents (which have staying power) I find the scents linger ever so (very) slightly in my moustache.

As stated above, they're the budget line. Chiseled Face is his premium (I think) and Tiki is being disconnected due to lack of sales. I also think he may own LA Shaving Soaps? I haven't tried any of those.

I can also recommend Tiki Salty Air - a sweet Taffy and I don't know, aquatic maybe? It's hard to describe, but I like it (a good warm weather soap). Also, to my nose, Tiki 1920s barbershop (most would call a warm weather barber scent?) is almost identical to Stirling Barbershop. But I feel like Stirling wins (kills?) in performance.

My "Summer" Soaps:
Aiana & Evans Summer Fig
ETHOS Grooming Essentials Melange d'agrumes
Zingari Man The Nomad

Though I would and absolutely do use these any time of the year!
And there are other soaps that are far from being summer-oriented that I use throught the summer.
In fact, I can't think of any soaps of mine that I would restrict to a specific season....

20200517_135450(1).jpgETHOS Melange d'agrumes.jpg20200607_114637(1) (4).jpg

Great video Todd...

I was just having this conversation with Dave over at his place.

Top 5 summer soap scents for me (solely off of the scent):

5. Wickham Soap Co. Ninfeo d'Egeria (a clone of Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Fico d'Amalfi) / Stirling Piacenza (clone of Acqua di Parma Colonia) (I figured to put both of these here since they are both based off an AdP scent)
4. Barrister & Mann Fougere Angelique
3. The Holy Black Tangerine Creeper
2. Declaration Grooming Dayman (newest addition to the den...almost a perfect summer scent)
1. Barrister & Mann Adagio (discontinued, unfortunately due to one of the fragrance oils becoming exhorbitantly expensive. I think it increased in price ~2000%)

"The scent notes; Adagio is the combination of all these scents made solid, a “cool green fruit” fragrance consisting of lime, cherry, violet leaf absolute, lily of the valley, and a beautiful floral musk called Galaxolide. "

It also has some menthol in it to make it a cooling soap, and even more in the aftershave. That was one of the first soaps I tried when I was starting out. I bought it as a sample from Maggards and had to buy a full tub.

On the Bay Rum topic, I've never really considered BR to be a summer scent. Fall, early spring is where it fits in quite nicely into the rotation. It's too heavy for the summer months but not quite heavy enough for the winter.

Barrister & Mann Adagio (discontinued, unfortunately due to one of the fragrance oils becoming exhorbitantly expensive. I think it increased in price ~2000%)
I had no idea that was the reason. I will forever cherish my set.

Back