The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite Summer Shaving Soaps

Really nice picks! I have a lot of summer time scents that I like.

St. Barts by A&E
Twice Mint by Sudsy Soapery
Agrumi in Estate by Wholly Kaw
Colonia Mediterrnea by Cold River Soap Works just to name a few.

Good video, great descriptions... I may have to try the Captain Bayrum soap. I think I'm liking the boozy scents ever since I tried Zingari Soloist.

Thanks for the tips.

One area of my shave den that is truly lacking in is summertime shave products. I guess that's because summer seems so short up here in the PNW.

So I was glad to see this topic come up and a video to go with it. 👍

Cryogen belongs on any summertime list, you can squabble over the performances of the soap if you want but the menthol and even the light scent (not vapor rub at all by the way, not even obvious menthol...a magical blend of tallow and menthol that can only exist somewhere between heaven and earth). My son and I were JUST talking about this soap and another made by CF, orange dreamsicle. Along with SV 70th anniversary those 2 are his favorites and he asked me to make him some of both in my one of harder MasterBarber bases. The obvious lightbulb went off, the orange dreamsicle may be a small batch just for him and a few others but the Uber cool puck of soap from the guy who loves the heck outta menthol soaps HAS TO HAPPEN.

Captains Choice bay rum? The only way to bring bay rum out of the winter months is to add lime, I found that out unintentionally by mixing the two t for someone here on the forum. I agree the CO9T has a masterful blend of spices and a burn that is so intense it’s cooling but I would put Captain’s Choice North in place of he Bay Rum. Similar characteristics but far heavier on juniper berry and the notes that stroke a cooling cord in my mind. Similar in many ways to Iron Throne, the whole concept of Iron Throne was fire and ice, the ‘heat’ of bay rum’s traditional spices cooled by the addition of some darker Oud’s and juniper berry with some undertones of menthol and of course hidden synthetic cooling agents to kick up the cooling effect far beyond the hint of menthol you MIGHT detect.

Margaritas in the “attic”. ...never, ever will get attic out of my mind. How I missed Arctic I will never know. I only tried the glacial version and of course that one belongs on a summer list. That’s a great soap of course but the scent is bright and simple with all the earmarks of summer fresh. Most importantly it’s easy to enjoy everyday regardless of temperature.

The Caties Bubbles scent sounds very interesting, I’ve never tried it but I have heard it mentioned several times.

It’s funny we associate “boozy scents” with fresh or summertime. I guess it’s also funny we call a particular scent “boozy” in the first place. ...but I digress.

[
but the menthol and even the light scent (not vapor rub at all by the way, not even obvious menthol...a magical blend of tallow and menthol that can only exist somewhere between heaven and earth).
I knew I was not doing it justice in my description. Maybe he will make it in his new Silk Tallow base. Bonus: I love opening the lid and seeing the menthol crystals “growing.”

Captains Choice bay rum? The only way to bring bay rum out of the winter months is to add lime
It’s funny we associate “boozy scents” with fresh or summertime. I guess it’s also funny we call a particular scent “boozy” in the first place
I think my own past ignorance of what bay rum actually is has worn a neuro pathway trench in my brain. I had always thought the “rum” was literally rum, so my brain goes to college days of mixing Captain Morgan with some off the shelf tropical juice mix. I think when I say boozy related to bay rum, I mean deep, dark, and warm. But as you say, it is the fruit or citrus that freshens it up into a more breezy summer vibe.

Similar in many ways to Iron Throne, the whole concept of Iron Throne was fire and ice, the ‘heat’ of bay rum’s traditional spices cooled by the addition of some darker Oud’s and juniper berry with some undertones of menthol and of course hidden synthetic cooling agents to kick up the cooling effect far beyond the hint of menthol you MIGHT detect.
Well, you literally sold me on Iron Throne.
2DF6A66C-95F9-40A7-AF1B-97906639543A.jpeg

So is their Bayrum an actual boozy scent, or just warm?

I keep The Soloist (tobacco and boozy rum) for cold weather. That works for me because I need another cold weather soap (though I am leaning towards a light, sweet dragons blood type soap really).

I think my own past ignorance of what bay rum actually is has worn a neuro pathway trench in my brain. I had always thought the “rum” was literally rum, so my brain goes to college days of mixing Captain Morgan with some off the shelf tropical juice mix. I think when I say boozy related to bay rum, I mean deep, dark, and warm. But as you say, it is the fruit or citrus that freshens it up into a more breezy summer vibe.
The rum IS/WAS actual rum. How people make it now is a matter preference but true bay rum as it was made by ‘pirates’ of yore was supposed to have been essentially a tincture of sorts made of Pimenta Racemosa leaves and rum, with or without additional spices native to the trade routes of the day. I used actual pimenta racemosa oil (too darned expensive) in Iron Throne,( it’s a lovely scent) as well as actual juniper berry oil, also a great scent and expensive oil.
*i saw your order, I’ll send you a puck of bay rum that’s made with pimenta racemosa and fragrance oil Blend & some fresh lime so you can try it separately and together to compare. Can’t make a statement without providing you the means to verify my assertions can I.

@Spider is a good source for bay rum Comparisons and information, he’s probably seen and tried them all.

So is their Bayrum an actual boozy scent, or just warm?

I keep The Soloist (tobacco and boozy rum) for cold weather. That works for me because I need another cold weather soap (though I am leaning towards a light, sweet dragons blood type soap really).
More warm. Boozy was a poor choice of words. Rich, deep, dark, and warm are better adjectives for CC BR.

I take it back. I do detect the bourbon quite a bit once the Small Batch Shave Tonic is applied to the face.

Back