The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Favorite Mentholated or Cooling Soaps and Aftershaves

Scuttlesoap

TSC Yoda
Veteran
Concierge Emeritus
I love the cooling effects of menthol (or its synthetic counterparts) - especially in summer. Now that the weather is warming up - I’m sure a lot of shavers are puling these out of their den to add to their rotation. What are your favorite soaps and AS with cooling effects?

Mine are:

(1) Summer Break Soaps Cannonball - I’ve tried Chiseled Face Cryogen and WTF Cold Fusion - both which add an inordinate amount of menthol. But Cannonball to me is the coldest of the bunch - especially because it doesn‘t hit you right away. Of course it doesn’t hurt that this had a citrus and a boozy note to it - but it straight up delivers the experience of being in the extreme heat and jumping in a refreshing pool right after sipping your adult beverage. The first time I used it - I hadn’t realized that synthetic cooling agents are more subtle at first - so i put a bunch of aftershave on afterwards - it was so cold my teeth actual hurt!

1654964666308.png

(2) First Canadian Shave - Mojito Chill. My shave of the day today - delivers on its boozy drink vibe big time and this uses real menthol - so the cold hits you right in the face right away - Ka Bam!

1654964976079.png

(3) Stirling Glacial (Anything) - I love all of Stirling’s Glacial line - really Intensive menthol. Very hard to pick a favorite out of these - but I think if forced - it would be their Strawberry Lemondade.

1654965157456.png

(4) Floïd Mentolado Vigoroso - I’d be remise if I didn’t have at least one old school entry - one of the best IMO.

1654965403526.jpeg

So I’ve laid down the gauntlet - what are your favorites?

Coldest soap is QCS Vostok. Unobtanium now, but I love it in the summer.

Honorable mention for AS is Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva!

I get why people might hesitate because of the price - but I look at it as it’s just a few dollars more - plus I dig the “old school” look of the labels

I get why people might hesitate because of the price - but I look at it as it’s just a few dollars more - plus I dig the “old school” look of the labels
It’s literally just Alcohol, water, and menthol. Nothing else. No additives to help your skin. You can make it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Of course, buying menthol crystals is a great way to add chill, or kick up the chill of any aftershave!

It’s literally just Alcohol, water, and menthol. Nothing else. No additives to help your skin. You can make it yourself for a fraction of the cost.

Of course, buying menthol crystals is a great way to add chill, or kick up the chill of any aftershave!
But I don’t have the labels that are the bomb! Plus I have a ton of “skin food” additives that I use for all my AS except when I‘m using CBL or ZingariMan

But it won’t look as pretty in the pictures.

Back