The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ease of use : shavette or straight razor

KRS

Shave Newbie
Hey guys !

it’s great to come across a group of fellow wet shaving enthusiasts. I moved from cartridges to a DE about 4 years ago and I’ve since been bitten by the bug . I decided very recently to try straight razor shaving and I’ve ordered my first straight razor which should arrive by the end of next week. I read somewhere that first time straight razors shavers are better off starting with a shavette , so i bought by self a feather artist club SS razor and i tried it for the first time last week , and i must say i find it incredibly hard to shave with it. I will admit that all good things in life usually have a learning curve and i will keep practising but i wanted to check where you guys stand on the topic . Ease of use … straight razor or shavette?

For overall ease of use, I would give that to the shavette, because there is less maintenance. You don’t have to learn to hone or strop, just drop in a fresh blade. As to learning to shave with one over the other, they are similar. You just have to be patient while learning.

For overall ease of use, I would give that to the shavette, because there is less maintenance. You don’t have to learn to hone or strop, just drop in a fresh blade. As to learning to shave with one over the other, they are similar. You just have to be patient while learning.
Yep, start with the baby steps. For your first few shaves I’d only shave with the grain and maybe only your cheeks. Then I’d move up to shaving your chin and neck with the grain only. Once you build some confidence, you’ll be amazed with how nimble and pleasant a shaver the Feather AC is. I shave with a straight razor about 95% of the time and when I was learning, it took me a good 50-100 shaves before I felt like I could produce a flawless shave every day. Even after around 1000+ straight shaves, I can still have a bad shave if I’m not in the moment and concentrating on my angles and the direction of each stroke. It’s not rocket science, but building up a different muscle memory and relearning your face all over again.

You should run over to our journal section and start up a journal to keep us up to date on your process of learning. Loads of folks will chime in with advice and encouragement.

ALSO!
1634734912732.gif
Welcome to the Shaving Cadre!

Matt

For me it’s the shavette all the way. I’ve become pretty proficient with the Feather SS and DE blade shavettes. I’ve tried to make the switch to straights on more than one occasion and always get chatter and feeling like I have to push the blade through the hair. For some reason I get the same thing with the Weck Sextoblade. So I know the issue isn’t the edge. In the end I gave up and just enjoy the shavettes.

For me it’s the shavette all the way. I’ve become pretty proficient with the Feather SS and DE blade shavettes. I’ve tried to make the switch to straights on more than one occasion and always get chatter and feeling like I have to push the blade through the hair. For some reason I get the same thing with the Weck Sextoblade. So I know the issue isn’t the edge. In the end I gave up and just enjoy the shavettes.
Sounds like you need a heavy wedge, yes???? 😃

The learning curve is much steeper with shavettes. But the maintenance is much easier, so it's a trade off. But the technique of using each is also different. The angle and pressure is different, so you'll have to adapt when you switch between the two.

I enjoy the shaves from a straight better, but I use a shavette 99% of the time I do that style of shaving.

I decided very recently to try straight razor shaving and I’ve ordered my first straight razor which should arrive by the end of next week.

If you dont mind my asking, what razor is on the way? Want to make sure you set yourself up for success!

Reactions: KRS
Thank you all for taking the time to post , for welcoming me and your valuable feedback . I will most definitely watch the tutorials, and practice. I think for the most part i did walk into this with my eyes wide open, and i think the process involved with a straight razor and the care required to mainTain one actually appeals to my obsessive nature . I can’t wait for my Thiers Issard to get here next week .

Yep, start with the baby steps. For your first few shaves I’d only shave with the grain and maybe only your cheeks. Then I’d move up to shaving your chin and neck with the grain only. Once you build some confidence, you’ll be amazed with how nimble and pleasant a shaver the Feather AC is. I shave with a straight razor about 95% of the time and when I was learning, it took me a good 50-100 shaves before I felt like I could produce a flawless shave every day. Even after around 1000+ straight shaves, I can still have a bad shave if I’m not in the moment and concentrating on my angles and the direction of each stroke. It’s not rocket science, but building up a different muscle memory and relearning your face all over again.

You should run over to our journal section and start up a journal to keep us up to date on your process of learning. Loads of folks will chime in with advice and encouragement.

ALSO!
View attachment 64326
Welcome to the Shaving Cadre!

Matt
Thanks Matt.. i might start up a journal . Great idea

In the matter of vernacular, there is really only one shavette. That is a razor that uses either a full or half DE blade. The others are disposable blade straight razors.
As to the learning curve and which one is easier. Simple. The one YOU are going to stick with. The argument that you need to learn the “maintenance” of straight razors is a matter of opinion. There are many straight razor users that have never honed and just a few to shave with, while the others are being sharpened, as to stropping it is easy to learn and all about rhythm. As to learning the strop start out with a newspaper folded to a 3-inch width and about 36 inches. Clip that to a towel bar and practice. It will still strop a good edge. Then take an old pair of jeans and do the same, again it will strop a good edge. Then go ahead and buy a good quality leather strop
IMHO with just over 2300 straight shaves and God knows how many shavette and disposable straight razor shaves. Here is my take of difficulty in learning from hardest to easiest

1. DE bladed shavetted- due to thinness if blade, shorter blades ( angles are much more dependent on both vertical and horizontal planes)

2. Weck, sifter, dovo, etc. all of these are actually hair shaper and razor hair cut bladed razors Razor length is longer, however razor sheath is narrow ( vertical angles are more critical). These many times offer a safety comb as well

3. Straight razor, Feather DX, Kai clone, Tedalus. All but the straight razor are the closest to actual true straight razors. Learning curve is similar to all three as the disposables
are set to mimic the geometry of true straights.

4. Feather SS and clones. Most of these have a raised edge or “bump” on the leading edge to stretch skin similar to a safety DE. Thus to me these are hybrids. But the best to train on and provide the muscle memory training for moving up the list.

As to the question of a guarded blade vs a non-guarded blade, and the argument whether that is a true open blade shave.. simple it is. You can hurt yourself just as easy with a Feather Pro-guard as you can with a Feather Pro-Super, or even an 8/8 wedge, or a full bellied hollow

Bottom line pick what is best for you and your face, and your shaves

What Dave said! 😉 I won’t shave with DE shavettes. The only barber’s razors that I use are my Feather DX and Tedalus, and I use AC Feather Super blades exclusively. They are my sharpness benchmark using the Styrofoam peanut test. If my newly honed srraight doesn’t pop through the styrofoam surface with its weight alone as a fresh Feather Super does, it’s back to the hones. About 98% of my open edge shaves are traditional straight razors.

Reactions: KRS
Just because I don't want to be left out of a great conversation, I will add my own comments. You can ignore everything I say because Dave (and the others) said most of what you need to know.

Unless you hate yourself or consider yourself too good looking to be seen in public as you reenter public life, stay away from the half-DE blade type shavette contraptions until/unless you are challenged to do so by others in a "if you were a REAL man you would..." type of challenge. You WILL put pretty little slices on your face.

The Feather SS is an awesome tool and worth learning to use, now or later. Is it "easier" to learn with than a tradition straight razor (Defined as being the kind of razor you hone & strop rather than replace a blade)? I don't think it is. Sure, it will be different is some ways but those differences won't make it easier or harder...just different. The basic concept, shaving with an open blade held in hand without any particular safety guard, will be the same. The basic technique(s) will be very much the same.

The traditional straight MAY have an advantage over the Feather SS in that the tool itself is often constructed on a way that fits in your hand in more "natural" way and is weighted in a way that helps you to more intuitively "feel" the right angle of attack and make adjustments as you shave. Whether this is because the tool is one piece of steel or because it has been perfected over time or it is just "better"...who knows. Another possible advantage (real or perceived) is that often the edge is more forgiving than the surgically sharp edges of the feather blades. Make no mistake, both edges can/will make their mark if you let them.

I do not have the same number count as Dave but I do have WELL over 1000 traditional straight razor shaves and a perhaps 800 more that are a blend of traditional/feather/etc. In my experience I can say without a doubt the shaves feel different and switching back and forth between them isn't always easy. So my recommendation is to try to spend some time with one or the other rather than constantly switching between them as you learn the technique. In the end you will still learn to use them both but sticking with one or the other for longer periods of time will make the journey more fun. My very first attempts were made with a Magic shavette (a half DE razor) I took off layers of skin and left racing stripes. My son learned using the same razor and did wonderfully. Switching to a traditional straight not only saved my life it made it possible to become an actual straight razor shaver and enthusiast. NOW, if/when I am in a hurry or have no desire to use a traditional straight razor I can grab a disposable blade feather type razor and knock out a 3 pass shave in a few minutes with out needing to do any blade care.

Like Dave said, the most important thing is that you pick a razor that you will stick with. If that means you use one OR the other then pick one. If it means you use BOTH, then use both. Everyone will tell you there is a right and a wrong way to do things but everyone (even me) is wrong. There is only YOUR way and that is the way that makes your journey fun. If you aren't having fun ask more questions ...or buy more stuff!

Just because I don't want to be left out of a great conversation, I will add my own comments. You can ignore everything I say because Dave (and the others) said most of what you need to know.

Unless you hate yourself or consider yourself too good looking to be seen in public as you reenter public life, stay away from the half-DE blade type shavette contraptions until/unless you are challenged to do so by others in a "if you were a REAL man you would..." type of challenge. You WILL put pretty little slices on your face.

The Feather SS is an awesome tool and worth learning to use, now or later. Is it "easier" to learn with than a tradition straight razor (Defined as being the kind of razor you hone & strop rather than replace a blade)? I don't think it is. Sure, it will be different is some ways but those differences won't make it easier or harder...just different. The basic concept, shaving with an open blade held in hand without any particular safety guard, will be the same. The basic technique(s) will be very much the same.

The traditional straight MAY have an advantage over the Feather SS in that the tool itself is often constructed on a way that fits in your hand in more "natural" way and is weighted in a way that helps you to more intuitively "feel" the right angle of attack and make adjustments as you shave. Whether this is because the tool is one piece of steel or because it has been perfected over time or it is just "better"...who knows. Another possible advantage (real or perceived) is that often the edge is more forgiving than the surgically sharp edges of the feather blades. Make no mistake, both edges can/will make their mark if you let them.

I do not have the same number count as Dave but I do have WELL over 1000 traditional straight razor shaves and a perhaps 800 more that are a blend of traditional/feather/etc. In my experience I can say without a doubt the shaves feel different and switching back and forth between them isn't always easy. So my recommendation is to try to spend some time with one or the other rather than constantly switching between them as you learn the technique. In the end you will still learn to use them both but sticking with one or the other for longer periods of time will make the journey more fun. My very first attempts were made with a Magic shavette (a half DE razor) I took off layers of skin and left racing stripes. My son learned using the same razor and did wonderfully. Switching to a traditional straight not only saved my life it made it possible to become an actual straight razor shaver and enthusiast. NOW, if/when I am in a hurry or have no desire to use a traditional straight razor I can grab a disposable blade feather type razor and knock out a 3 pass shave in a few minutes with out needing to do any blade care.

Like Dave said, the most important thing is that you pick a razor that you will stick with. If that means you use one OR the other then pick one. If it means you use BOTH, then use both. Everyone will tell you there is a right and a wrong way to do things but everyone (even me) is wrong. There is only YOUR way and that is the way that makes your journey fun. If you aren't having fun ask more questions ...or buy more stuff!
Thank you for taking the time to post chris. Points noted . Practice practice practice. Using my SS at the moment . My straight razor should be here by Monday , super excited , can’t wait to just hold it

there is really only one shavette. That is a razor that uses either a full or half DE blade.
Sort of. To be more specific, Shavette is a registered trademark of Dovo. So it technically is impossible for any other razor to be a shavette...... but that's the common vernacular for them, kinda like we call every facial tissue out there a Kleenex or every adjustable wrench out there a Crescent Wrench. The Dovo Shavette has blade holders which will take DE or Hair Shaper blades. I find the Dovo shavette to be the superior DE shavette because of the extremely narrow blade exposure that is achieved from the holder. It makes for a smooth and easy shave. But the razor is very light and feels almost nothing like holding a real straight razor.

Sort of. To be more specific, Shavette is a registered trademark of Dovo. So it technically is impossible for any other razor to be a shavette...... but that's the common vernacular for them, kinda like we call every facial tissue out there a Kleenex or every adjustable wrench out there a Crescent Wrench. The Dovo Shavette has blade holders which will take DE or Hair Shaper blades. I find the Dovo shavette to be the superior DE shavette because of the extremely narrow blade exposure that is achieved from the holder. It makes for a smooth and easy shave. But the razor is very light and feels almost nothing like holding a real straight razor.
This is a Tondeo version which is what I use for Roffler Sculpture Kut (razor hair cuts). Is very light and it is in a class of its own in my opinion, but does have a basic SR feel. The Tondeo has a better feel and quality than the Dovos IMHO

AF4B928A-8BC3-410D-90FF-D583CDFAB417.jpeg

Back